1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Life is back on track. Got permanent post at my workplace.

Stu Oct 12, 2019

1. Stu

Stu Windswept & Interesting Devil Brigade Member

Howdy all. I know I've been away for a while but I hope everyone's okay on here.

As many on here may know, I've had an eventful couple of years job-wise.
    Two years ago I left my sales job of 7 years after the female boss just became a psycho, manufacturing things to pull me up on, putting me on "personal improvement plans" etc when all I'd ever done was work my ass off for them for 7 years, and I decided I couldn't take the abuse and bullying anymore and left.
    The job I went to wasn't right either, (though I made a new very good friend there, so it wasn't a total waste) and I left after a few months.

I had a slight change and went working as a temp in the call centre of a TV/A/V company, and though I guess I was still depressed from my abuse and betrayal at my last job, i did okay at first and was actually the only temp to be asked to the Xmas Party (where I happened go be sat next to the Chairman) and ultimately the only temp to be taken on as a full time permanent member of staff.

I won several customer service awards, and was getting help from a company counsellor for how I felt about my last job, but in July 2018, after being back from my hols for only a week, I had to admit that I had no job satisfaction and listening to people moan, shout and often swear at me all day was taking it's toll.
    I spoke to Colleague Support (in tears!) and the head of the department was very sympathetic and said you can't go on like this, it'll make you unwell, she was right and though I begged them not to let me go, they let me go with a 1 month payoff rather than the 1 week required. It broke my heart to leave (in tears again!) as I loved the company and the people but hated my role. I wrote to every boss and director I knew asking them to please keep me in mind for other positions and then thought I'd have to start job hunting.

After 2 days, the Director of Installations called me to say that he was surprised to hear that I'd left but said he could tell I didn't enjoy the Call Centre and few people would be able to stand the constant negativity, and he asked me to come and work for him, covering his Assistants Maternity Leave.
    I threw myself into the role and after the "trial day" he said I was brilliant and gave me the job straight away, working 3 days a week, but I also did extra days for other depts like Colleague Support, Service and Property and when I couldn't do extra days I enjoyed a 4 day weekend.

I know I did a good job for him for 10 months and when his Assistant came back, though he would have loved to keep me on, there wasn't enough work, but luckily Property gave me another 3 month contract doing Admin work for them and mostly looking after residential rentals in Scarborough, sending out contractors, arranging inspections and chasing renewals and rent payments.

Friday 27th September was my contract end. :-(

But, no it wasn't coz on the Monday before, that same Chairman I sat next to at the Xmas Party (who is also the MD of Property) said that all his team have said I fitted in brilliantly, have performed above and beyond the call of duty, taking 250 mile round trips to Scarborough and back, doing inspections and ploughing thru acres of paperwork and audits, that they're keeping me on Permanently.

Woohoo! :-)

My contract is 4 days a week, Mon-Fri, 9-5 but I'll work extra when ever they need me. My basic is almost the same as when I worked for my abusers 2 years ago, but NO weekends and I only work 4 days a week, if I work 5 days I'll earn considerably more and so long as all my jobs are done and up to date, I get a £300 bonus every month and profit share in June ( they very generously gave me some profit share THIS year and the MD apologized that it wasn't a lot as I only worked a few days for them but I STILL got £450!!)

If I go to Scarborough, which I do every few weeks, the mileage allowance is very generous and though I use perhaps £30 in fuel, the mileage claim is nearly £120, and they pay for my lunch whilst I'm there. (Let me tell you, fresh Fish n chips from a seaside town are fabulous!)

I'm getting rid of my Mazda 6 in a few weeks and leasing a smaller, more economical model (£120 cheaper per month than my Mazda) and I've worked out that just ONE trip to Scarborough per month will pretty much pay for my car.

We all go to the pub once a month for Friday Night drinks, with the company paying, we all went for an Indian meal the other night, with the company paying and the firm even has a fun committee that organises days and nights out for us .
    We have a Halloween quiz night with beer and pizza, cake sale for McMillans Cancer Charity, Ghost Walk of old Stockport, and Xmas Party on a boat all coming up in the next few months and lots more planned that I don't know about yet.

In June, roundabout the same time I got my profit share, the owner of the company, decided he was giving the company to all the employees and out of the money he paid himself for his share of the firm, he set £3 million aside.
    Out of this £3 million, every member of staff received £1000 for every year they'd worked for the company- I only qualified for a year which I'm very grateful for, but some of my colleagues at Regional Office in various departments have been here over 20 years!!!
    The profit share and £1000 gift was paid in June about 1 week before my holiday in Mallorca, perfect timing eh? (So I booked next year's straight away!!)& will get NEXT year's at the same time again.

Oh yeah. I have a parking spot about 20 steps from the office, am home in about 20 mins on a good day, 30 mins on a bad, and I'm looking to join a new gym in Stockport (coz I am sat behind a desk rather a lot!) and the company will pay £300 towards that too.

Thank goodness things worked out. And to think that, although I knew I was doing well and working hard for them, this time last week I thought I might be looking for a new job.

Sorry for the epic post, but I'm buzzing. For the first time in quite a few years, I'm pretty happy. I feel like I've struggled for years, but hopefully, I won't mess this up.

Best wishes to all out there. Thanks for reading.

Oh, I forgot to mention,because I work for a Property company, we also have holiday homes all over the UK and Europe. Lots of uk seaside towns, posh flat in Edinburgh, Seaside chalet in Devon and apartments in Paris, VENICE, Barcelona and Amsterdam.
    The charge to employees for staying in the properties? £10 per night!!!

What a company. Wish I could've found them 20 or even 30 years ago.

KAZ2, begreen61, Kelper and 4 others like this.
  2. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Sounds like an amazing company to work for. You've obviously done a good job for them across the board and it paid off.

Congratulations!

3. Balibuyer

Balibuyer Little member JDBA Official Member

Wow, that sounds awesome. I am very happy for you. Also, sometimes you just need to vent and kinda get it all out. I just did this a couple of weeks ago when my boss built a shop twice the size of ours right behind his gigantic house instead of expanding us a couple of bays. I lost it, thought I was gonna quit. But like minded individuals from another awesome forum I frequent kept me positive.....kinda like what can happen here on the JD. Cheers my brother.

4. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

I always like to read a story with a good ending. Congratulations.

5. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Sounds like a grand improvement. If I could learn British, and to drive on the wrong side of the road :bwah:, I might be tempted to come try for a job like that!

Congrats.

6. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Glad you're happy..that's what's important. You did it!

7. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Great read. Congrats!

8. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

AMAZING! Wow. Literally, Wow my friend!

BRAVO!!!!!

9. hamburger

hamburger knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

ya! i hope your are happy. most jobs are 8 hours a day and that is most of their lives. how can anyone stay in a job that is horrible. you spend so so much time there.

10. Stu

Stu Windswept & Interesting Devil Brigade Member

Thanks to all. It's still going very well, my first months bonus was actually £350, so a little more than I expected, and two round trips to Scarborough netted me £250 in expenses claims when I guess I only spent about £60 in total on fuel.

Rather more importantly, I'm still enjoying the job, though the trips to Scarborough and back are a bit of a trek. My trip last week meant a 12 hour day and nearly 8 of those hours were driving, and as I hit rush hour on the way home, it was bumper to bumper and 40mph speed restrictions nearly all the way.

The Halloween quiz was great fun, and my team came joint first place, though we lost in the tie-breaker. We still won a big bag of novelty Halloween sweets, though, (chewy eyeballs, witches hats, bats, finger tips, tongues, bits of brain etc) and we also won the physical challenge section of the quiz where we had to make a Mummy by wrapping one of the colleagues in toilet roll. Great fun, though very difficult when the toilet roll keeps breaking.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  11. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Awesome Stu ,,you finally got that big brake,,Awesome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

g