1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk 5.56 Carbines and why...

Mike Grasso Oct 24, 2017

1. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

I really like the 300BO, but I needed a 5.56 carbine to teach with. For obvious reasons it ended up being a SIG Virtus, I set it up with a LPVS Tango6 1x-6x on a Spuhr mount, MP angled irons and a 800 lumen temp, waiting on the new 1200 lumen Surefire weapon light. Oh and after a long time of carrying a carbine, a padded Blue Force Vickers sling. Been working with it extensively and really enjoying it. What is your go to 5.56? Enquiring minds would like to know, let's discuss...

22780220_10212642862139863_4016347655796073881_n.jpg

hickory, begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  2. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

I'm a complete AR noob but I gotta say my huldra(adams) evo piston upper on a spikes lower has yet to fail me in the first few outings with ~300 various rounds of 223 and 556. Not 1 single malfunction.

I haven't got a chance to stretch the legs but I feel confident that with my 1x4 scope I can now hit in about a five or six inch group at 50 yrds from the shoulder. For me with almost zero experience with the platform..I consider it a win.

Man o man Everytime I break it down after shooting I'm amazed by how little cleanup there is.

Mike Grasso and seandavid55 like this.
  3. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

My current favorite is a BCM lower with Geissele SSA trigger, Noveske upper, LaRue iron sights that co-witness Aimpoint optics on a LaRue QR mount and a Magpul stock.

Hey Mike, that padded sling certainly looks tempting. Gonna give one a try.

Mike Grasso likes this.
  4. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I want one bad heard there awesome triggers .

5. taoist

Recently installed a Geissele SD3G trigger on a different rifle and am very pleased with it as well.

6. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

like the 5.56 so much , made my AR and bought the Ruger American in 5.56 I only shoot green tips, talk about pin point accuracy .A Geissele trigger would finish off the AR . here's my toys

Attached Files:

7. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I have a Noveske Thunder Ranch Carbine. On it I have a Vortex Strike Eagle, 45degree backup iron sights, a Vicker’s Blue Force Sling, and an adjustable Elftmann Match Trigger. The reset on my trigger is short. It works great, and I love the lightweight rifle.

I have 4 AR-15s with Elftmann triggers. To me, a trigger and barrel make the rifle.

begreen61 likes this.
  8. Mike Grasso

After years of carrying a carbine for hours and hours on end the Blue Force Tactical - Vickers two point padded sling is my goto. Comfortable and easy to use.

begreen61 likes this.
  9. hickory

hickory JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

When I buy or build my AR you guys are going to be the ones I get input from for sure!
    Honestly it'll probably be a $500 rifle with 2k worth of ammo and training than a 2k rifle and $500 worth of cheetos.

My ideal setup would be something like a 16" with an acog. end.
    the ar10 calls my name too.

begreen61 likes this.
  10. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Hope you get more input Mike. I'm a fan of the 300BO myself. So can't help much with 5.56.

What case are you using there?

Mike Grasso likes this.
  11. rbmcmjr

rbmcmjr Nuclear Powered Devil

I have to tell you that I initially read this as "mangled irons" and wondered what the hell.

Mike Grasso likes this.
  12. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

My go-to 5.56 carbine right now is my CZ Bren 805 S1 SBR. It changes occasionally but I am currently smitten with this one now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

IMG_0687.JPG I have a Bushmaster 16" barrel carbine that I bought in the late 90's. My upgrades were a titanium firing pin... a Houge pistol grip, then an AR Gold trigger ( cause Jerry likes them). The last thing I did was put a Tapco telescopic stock on it. That and many mags and lots of ammo. Then I got more ammo.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Mike Grasso likes this.
  14. taoist

Curious what the MOA is with your mods. Care to share?

15. Mike Grasso

A most excellent idea. Always put ammo and training in your budget

begreen61 likes this.
  16. Eess45

Eess45 Tiny Member

I built mine. 16 inch mid length gas, 1-7 twist black nitride barrel, milspec lower with magpul, ALG 13 inch M-lok rail, yankee hill phantom flash hider, full auto bolt, vtac sling and an old school blue tube Aimpoint comp from the 90's.

begreen61 likes this.
  17. Ken Brock

Ken Brock Who's Awesome? Super Moderator

We are issued the Sig 516 but I turned mine back in. I use a Tavor X-95 instead as a bull pup is just so much more compact

sam eib likes this.
  18. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I couldn't find a 5.56 AR I liked sooooo I built mine. IN LOVE! Obviously not for CQC but meant for laying down some long range precision.

Attached Files: