1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Leeds Bowie

Mr.LaBella Jul 1, 2006

1. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Hey Ron,
    I told you I'd send a few pix so here we go. This bowie has a cutting edge of 8 1/2" and a slender full-tang coffin handle with a tapered tang and a hand-rubbed finish. I'm planning on using the stabilized black Buffalo Horn scales shown on the vice with red liners. You can see the holes for the three stainless steel handle bolts that will hold it all together after I shape the guard (which I just soldered this afternoon). The guard will be fully stippled and etched/cold blued. This will of course come with the JD logo blade sheath.
    Thanks again,
    J.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be shaping and setting the handle scales today.
    Thanks again.
    J.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rough shaped & set the bowie handle. When I go back out after dinner I'll take a photo of it as this stage. I also changed my plan a bit on the red liner. I thought the red liner should be a good accent and not blend in too much since it's the only red in the knife itself. So....I put an additional black liner between the red and the handle tang. You can see the red better when it got black on either side.
    J.

[​IMG]

Hey Ron,
    Here are some more pix. I'd be happy to do a tutorial forge-2-finish, though it may take me a bit to get it together between knives/orders and the flood crap. If I forget, please remind me. I won't think your being a pest because I do forget things sometimes. No old yet, just dopey sometimes. ; ) Please feel free to post the pix that I'm sending you on the forum though, if you'd like. It's not a whole knife (more of a handle step-by-step) but, I'm sure some folks may like it. This knife is a bit blocky-er in the handle than I normally do but, I saw this style and had been wanting to try it. It's modeled after an English Bowie design (possibly Wilkinson?) Of course, it's my interpretation of such. I'll have to try and find which it was, can't remember (what'd I tell you). Of course, it's my interpretation of such. It's a very comfortable knife with a good grip. You know me, always gotta try something different. The balance point is right on the plunge grind. In the photo that's my 6" metal ruler clamped in a vice that the knife is balancing on.
    Thanks,
    J.

:faint: :bow:

[​IMG]

2. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

Wow.

That's an awesome piece. Someone will need to take pictures when Stabber gets one.

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  3. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Looking fine! :thumbsup:

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  4. longbow

longbow scratch n sniffer

That is going to be one bad ass bowie. Lucky whoever gets it or if you keep it good for you! Keepem sharp

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Superior talent hangin' right here at JD.

Awesome work. THanks for posting Ron.

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  6. The General

The General The Devil's General Brigade Member

Can't wait to see her finished! This knife is making Ron cry like a baby!:spin:

7. Drivetech

Drivetech Evil Spock

Seriously cool!

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  8. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

Very nice. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  9. J. Neilson

J. Neilson Caught in the Mosh Knife Maker or Craftsman

I wanted to thank Ron for putting this thread up and for putting the idea in my head for this piece. I, unfortunately, didn't start taking the pix until the blade was done. Sometime in the future, if you guys would like, I'll do a start to finish pictorial/tutorial.

I'm titling this piece the "Leeds" Bowie (can ya guess). I'm hoping it screams JD! The bowie style itself is loosely based on an English design I saw and liked awhile back and of course for a JD bowie a coffin handle is a must. :madaddy:

One thing I love about Bowies is that they provide such a great canvas to work with. I think the only thing that can rival a bowie for this trait is a dagger........hey, that might be next.

Here are quick shop pix of the finished knife including a close-up inset of the guard finish and the new logo. Once Tess finishes up the sheath I'll add the completed photo box pix. I you guys have any questions about the pix, please feel free.

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  10. Rozz

Rozz piss and vinegar Lady Devil

Can't wait to see it !!!!!! Niether can Ron....it's all he's been talking about!

:chuck: :ssmile:

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  11. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

:ronl: Great job J!!! Awesome play by play pics:spin:

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  12. bart-1

bart-1 6th degree black belt/internet fighting discipline Knife Maker or Craftsman

That is an awesome knife guys!

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  13. The General

Ron... your a lucky bastich!:devilzeek :ron: :wootdance :thumbsup:

14. The General

Why "leeds" bowie? I know Ron is the one who... leeds... is that the reason?:jdevil:

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  15. The General

Oh and whats the steel?:chuck:

16. J. Neilson

J. Neilson Caught in the Mosh Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hey General, the steel is 5160, triple quenched and tempered like I generally do it.

The name "Leeds" is one of the common connectors in the Jersey Devil stories. There is some contention between whether is is a location name or family name. I was actually born and raised in NJ so the history and stories have always intrigued me. Check this out if you've got a moment-
    http://theshadowlands.net/jd.htm

Thanks again everyone.

17. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

WOW! I didn't realize Mr. LaBella was getting this one! That means I'll be able to actually hold it when he brings it to the monthly gathering. I promise not get any spaghetti sauce on it Ron! Please can I hold it? (I mean the Leed's Bowie... you prevert!)

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  18. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

this looks to be one hell of a knife!:devilzide :madaddy:

"Where is this king, who wears NO crown?":firedevil :kingkaxt:

:jimmymac:

*see thread title*

19. MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pat in the box

Wow, that is one sweet knife. I am not one for coffin handles but that one I really like. Nice job, can't wait to see what Tess comes up with for the sheath and seeing this knife in person.

20. ericsgreen

ericsgreen know your enemy

I like it, I thought we were getting a run of them like a forum knife...:jdvomit: :ron:

looks all buisness...I could dig it, maybe beef it up to 15-16 overall:thefinger