1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Why is it that so many of y'all take your latches off?

I recently broke the head off of one of the latch screws on my specter (the reason I had to take that damned screw out is a long story). While waiting for the replacement screw and barrel (thank you Mr Hom), I had to go latchless and 'installed' a paracord latch (more for safe/bite identification than closure). I HATED it. I've never been a fan of the looks, but for balance it made me miserable. I almost didn't flip at all because of it and the second the replacement screws and barrel showed up I put them in.

My question is: WHY do so many of youse take the latch off? Is it to keep it from getting marked up? How easy is it to transition to the weight/balance difference? Do you actually LIKE those paracord latches?

2. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I find that most latches get in the way unless I can shim it so it only moves when I want. Also most balis have weak latches anyway so i don't see much benefit. It also keeps the handles looking nicer longer too.

3. JAKMAN32

JAKMAN32 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I like using bright colored paracord for latches it makes for a cool "tracer" effect when your flipping. I put paracord latches on every flipper unless its a -=BRS=- bali, i do love their t-latch.

4. SlickLikeAGato

SlickLikeAGato JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The only reason I've done that is if the latch makes the bite handle wayy too heavy or if the latch dings up the safe handle too much. Ive had to sand down the latch on my bb because it had damaged the end of the safe handle so much that it couldnt latch.

5. SpydercoLover

SpydercoLover Level: True Devil

On some bali's, once you go latchless you can never go back like on my AB's, they just feel weird with the latches on now. It's such a small difference in weight but it's noticeable

6. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I notice it. Having that latch off for a few days was awful. I hated it. Every once in a while my latch catches. I'm going to file it a little and see if that helps.

7. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

I can somewhat understand people wanting to prove ninja skills or something flipping latchless.

I personally like latches because there is a purpose to them, keeping the knife latched open or closed.

Removing the factory latch for some floppy nutsack paracord latch seems unnecessary.

8. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

So they will have a higher resale value in Voodoo. :thumbsup:

:ropeman:

9. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

I'm pro-latch.

I constantly bust people's balls for flipping latchless, and more-so when they replace the latch with another identification marker when they already had the latch on there.

Some people make the argument of balance, and I can sort of see the difference (however I am so used to flipping with a latch, the bite handle having a bit more swing is what I am used to).
    Hell, I even have a few balis where I have a spacer that has extra weight to it in the safe handle than I do in the bite handle to counteract the latch weight and make the balance near latchless (Hom Specter, Hom Tempest, and GDOK EX10)

However the main argument against it I have seen is that"it gets in the way". To me, this has always just said that they have poor form in their technique and they should get get better. But, apparently I'm just an asshole who can't flip anyway, so the fuck do I know?

So, guess there isn't a single answer, but I know I know a very instant tactile cue on which handle I am on, I have NO idea how anyone can actually keep an eye on which handle has some chord or a different color to it while they flip, but that could just be me.

desmodus likes this.
  10. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

In some of my balis I take the latch off so it will not come into contact with the blade ever.

Mind you in recent bali purchases I have noticed more and more makers using spacers that will prevent this but I still find the latch will damage the handles in those cases and I have become accustomed to the weight w/o now so no latch for me.

11. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

A lot of people think it makes them cooler for some reason. I feel like a latchless knife is incomplete.

Latches are fine and most don't get in the way if you have halfway decent technique and aren't slow as shit.

Take them off if you want, don't if you don't.

12. SA8TER21

SA8TER21 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Personally cant flip without a latch.

13. desmodus

Who gets the credit for inventing the paracord latch?

14. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

I think me or Ntn Dew invented it but Tmack made it popular.
    https://youtu.be/4n8GobetTWs?t=18s that's from Sept 29th, 2013... Can't remember Nathan may have already done it or talked about it on one of his fireside chats he used to have on Google hangouts.

As far as flipping latchless. Latches hinder more moves than they add to a flipping arsenal. I'd posit that it was Chokers invention of his signature fan that cemented latcheless as the way of the future. Choker fanning brought the flippers fingers down to the ends of the handle where the latch was more likely to get in the way.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
    desmodus likes this.
  15. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Interesting bit of flipping lore.

IDK about latches inhibiting choker fans though, as long as you don't do it at a goofy angle it works fine.

16. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Flipping wise with or without makes no difference to me, though it is nice to have a reference as Jay mentioned. I never installed my GDOK latch due to it really scaring the knife badly. That's the only reason I see for really removing one that was made to have one and replacing with a paracord. I would think the paracord would be more likely to "get in the way" than the original though.

Visually I like the look of a latch less balisong that was designed from the start to be latch less ( like the Talisong ).

But ultimately latches, like pocket clips are over rated...IMO

17. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

I want to say that a lanyard latch "loop" I did in 2014. I know the first official deviant sold on blade hq had it along with a sheath I had linos make. It started as a workaround for certain bali's. If I felt the handles were too short that I wouldn't want to compromise the spacers to make room for a latch the next best thing was a piece of paracord or bootlace that could keep the knife closed safely. Easy to replace, easy to adjust.

18. Ryanol

They definitely make bite handle chokers trickier to get into and out of. It is fact. If you take away half the the handles I can choker from you also take away all the entrances and exits from bite handle chokers. Sure you can do other tricks but taking away or inhibiting a trick is taking away an arrow from your quiver.

When your quiver only has one arrow like mine, it's problematic.

19. Ryanol

necessity - the mother of all invention. :thumbsup:

20. MidnightAbyss

MidnightAbyss JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I do a lot of bite handle orientated moves. Makes life much easier when the latch isn't in the way. But I actually flip both and go back and forth. Just kind of depends on my mood really. Some days they all have latches. Some none of them do and others I have a mixed bunch. :manganr: