1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Latch or no latch?

Nicko Nov 19, 2012

1. vileperson

vileperson Enormous member

here's a pic with the powder coat removed from the handles and the epoxy set in and smoothed down around the magnets.

[​IMG]

bad picture... sorry.

2. Baliguy

Baliguy Huge member

Put a latch on it but make it easily removable.

3. budokite

budokite Huge member

Latchless is the shit!!

More prestige I feel. Real fighter with cut/open sheath carry.

Post the project pix please.

Good luck.

4. Nicko

Nicko Little member

Thx all who replied! I had all my pivots ready and titanium for handles but I think someone in my house has thrown all my Darrel Ralph pivot assembly's out along with the pb washers and double ended screw barrels which I intended to use if I were to fit a latch!!!! Gahhhhh. So upset over a hundred US dollars of stuff in that little packet. :(

Back to square one. Save buy wait.

Guess it will make it more exciting when it's finally started.

Over and out

Sad frustrated nick

5. ugotowned4

ugotowned4 Huge member

Couldnt have said it better thanks Glenn for coming to the rescue :jdwink2:

6. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

magnetic latch

I"m wondering----if very strong magnets were used which caused the knife to require 2 hands to open, then would the knife NOT fit the "gravity, one hand, or automatic" legal classification? In effect it would be like the Cold Steel Paradox in function ---thus legal in more jurisdictions.

7. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

Magnets are cool and all but wouldn't you have to flip completely differently to keep the handles from coming together and snapping shut?

Constantly having to keep your fingers between the handles to keep them freely moving?

Idk I have never seen one with that in person. But it could be fun to flip around.

Honestly latches don't bother me regardless of type, as long as it was done right. (latchgate dammit)

8. KaOsBlAkBlAdE

KaOsBlAkBlAdE Huge member JDBA Official Member

I have absolutely NO love or use for a latch. Spring latches i can live with, but if i'm carrying, it's secure in a sheath, watch pocket or something restrictive enough to heep it closed. Latches are sloppy, get beat up, beat up the handles etc.etc.

Use the force Nicko,...........................

9. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

You definitly gotta post a guide then :devilzeek

10. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

latchess edc

I agree. Latchless=Instant deployment, no delay, fumbling, or thumb slipping off the latch during opening. I have also learned that heavier models like the classic Bali-Songs & 29's stay put in the pocket and don't open on their own. Here is one I often EDC.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013