1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Latch or no latch?

Nicko Nov 19, 2012

1. Nicko

Nicko Little member

Hey Guys its been a while since I posted and I am greatful for all the help I have been given.

I am going to make a bali and have got my Ti for my handles and my pivots. I am wondering on a bali that I will use a lot if I should go to the trouble of fitting a latch to it? Or not?

What does everyone like?

It will be a channel construction.

2. sawjaws

sawjaws JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Ever think about using a magnetic latch-less system?

3. Nicko

Nicko Little member

I saw some on Terry Guinns Knives but I am thinking it might snap together on some tricks?

4. vileperson

vileperson Enormous member

Not if you do them just right. Here's a quote from a thread about a mod project I'm working on. It's channel as well, and as you can see, I put them inside the handles. They don't touch at all. They just pull enough to keep it closed or open until I barely squeeze my fingers to push them apart.

5. Nicko

Nicko Little member

Thanks for the post up. I will have a think about this. Cheers

6. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

latch for me! I am too reckless.

7. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike paranoid nutjob Brigade Member

I prefer latchless belt carry.

8. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

The Jedi way....

9. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Latch...with the option to take it off if you don't want it. Always good to have options.

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster Average member

OP, disregard latches, acquire magnets.

11. accurate

accurate Accurate Devil JDBA Official Member

Why are you using Ti pivots?

12. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

latchless or not

I'd go latchless. Look at the fun stuff that can be done to a channel bali without a latch. Also when the knife ages --there is no problem with the "latch" getting too loose to lock it up!

The photo is a 29 custom with g10 scales, end mill channel handles with closed ends and a milled spot to indicate the bite handle (the milled spot was a personal mod).

[​IMG]

13. sawjaws

metlman, Please post up a few pics of that Sweet Bali!!!

14. Nicko

Nicko Little member

Thats a good idea! Why not have both options.

With the magnets I am assuming they are the neodymium type? I was wondering if chipping and shattering from handles clapping together has ever been a problem?

The Ti was a grammatical error. I have darrel ralph pivots with PB washers. I suppose I should have a chat to some of the makers before I undertake this project. Any suggestions? Terry and I have emailed and I have his tutorial but its a sandwich bali. Channel is a bit different.

That Bali is wicked metlman! The G10 looks like Micarta! Did you custom make it or was that on the 29 it came? Also the spot looks great! Someone should do one with white G10 the same and mill a set of die on the bottom like that.

15. SockMonster

SockMonster Huge member

Typically, the magnets in those latch types are reinforced with layers of epoxy coatings. Epoxy is usually impact resistant when done right and also can add luster to the Bali overall when evenly finished.

Magnetic latches are easy to release in general but if the magnet is too strong, it would take more force from the throw-out to separate which probably could lead to sore knuckles and maybe a deeper cut if done wrong (theoretically of course since no one has reported injury due to soreness or pinching of the magnetic latch). However since most of the balis made with magnetic latch systems are usually custom class, I actually look forward to the final results of that Benchmark mod. I think the real challenge with that one would be the tang pin and cups since Benchmark is not the brand it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  16. vileperson

vileperson Enormous member

Yeah the handles themselves are crap metal and there were no "cups" so to speak. The tang pins just stopped on the handles. The handles have gotten indented from the pin and created cups. Hopefully since it's already compacted, they won't continue to get much deeper. The pin is in great shape, though. The pin and blade are good quality.

I can't wait to get it finished.

17. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

Latchless or spring latch. That's one of the beautiful things about the 4x. The spring latch. It's there but it's not in the way. Just my opinion.

Also there's something aesthetically pleasing when it comes to a latchless bali. It has a clean look to it that I really dig.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
  18. sheneniganer

sheneniganer Grill Manager

This is an argument of practicality vs personal preference and aesthetics. Hard to tell you to go latchless or not when it all depends on what you intend to do with the knife.

19. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Latch or no latch?

Yes.

Glad to be of assistance. :thumbsup:

20. sawjaws

I will be doing magnetic on my next Bali, maybe on the Tach II as well.