1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Kydex and leather livin' together....new sheath pics!

M.Olexey Sep 21, 2008

1. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

Worked up a new sheath option for my F.O.S. model. I've had a few requests for a belt loop that was less bulky than the teklock I normally use so after some experimenting I came up with this. I tried a kydex band first but it just did not feel good (too stiff) the leather band is very secure and moves better to avoid printing. It also allows you to mount the knife horizontally anywhere along the belt line (including small of back) for left or right hand draw without removing it. The loop is removeable and the holes match up with a teklock if you prefer to have that option.

Let me know what you think....

[​IMG]

backside....

[​IMG]

Hiding well even under this ultra clingy Walmart version of Underarmor...

[​IMG]

BAAAMMM!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. All feedback is appreciated.

mo

2. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Nice crotch shot you maniac!!!!!! *meat gazing totally frowned upon here*

barring THAT- looks good to me! :madfacedevil:

3. marcinek

marcinek Huge member

That is incredibly clever mo! Its such an obvious solution, but I can't say I've ever seen it done before!

Sweet! Nicely done.

4. M.Olexey

The role of shop towels I shoved in there paid off :wes:

There will be no meatgazing or dudity in my forum :Devilroar:

Thanks for the comments guys!

mo

edit-Now that I look at it it does look like I'm giving the Elvis pelvis to the camera. May have to crop that out.

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  5. NORCAL HUNTER

NORCAL HUNTER Huge member

I like it looks great :jdsmokin:

6. HMartin

HMartin knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Great Idea! Very effective and very low profile.

7. Chris Martin

Chris Martin phantom devil Knife Maker or Craftsman

Awesome concept MO!

We need to get that wharny design completed so I can send my FOS out for one of your kydex/leather morph sheaths. Well done!:semper:

8. M.Olexey

Wouldn't it be cool if we made it out some of the D2 I ordered today? :ernie:

Thanks guys!

mo

9. Chris Martin

Oh yes:firedevil

10. Paul Mathews

Paul Mathews knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Looks good! Definitely less imprint than a Tek-Lok. Any troubles with it wanting to slide on the belt? Probably not, it looks like a nice tight fit.
    .:Devilroar:He said Elvis Pelvis!:Devilroar:

11. M.Olexey

Hey Paul. Its got a good snug fit which is further tightened by the addition of rubber washers between the screws and sheath on the side your belt does not pass through. It actually holds better to the belt than the teklok. It could slide on smaller belts but in most cases theres a belt loop right where you need it to act as a stop. I'm thinking about trying a split loop setup with snaps so you could straddle a loop but so far I have not felt comfortable with the security of any of the snaps I have tried.

elvis pelvis.....it just came to me out of nowhere, I actually spit my drink out when I typed it, I really cracked me up :manganr:

12. theMachine

theMachine Huge member

That's a great idea! I'm going to have to order a FOS and this new sheath system soon. :sinister:

13. theMachine

theMachine Huge member

Would the spacing of the holes on the kydex sheath also take a regular size tek-lok incase someone wanted to take off the leather and attach it to a molle pack or something.

edit: I just realized you already answered that question in the original post, must have missed it when I was staring at the pictures.

14. M.Olexey

Yes sir!

Regular tek lok matches right up. :wes:

mo

15. M.Olexey

Experimental removeable modification

:ignore crappy tooling on leather: I was too busy thinking to be neat on the tester.

Front...

[​IMG]

Back...

[​IMG]

opened...

[​IMG]

Shot of the FOS test dummy, I made this one out of a scrap piece of 1/4" stock so its a fat little bastard, sportin some red/black G10 so I could see how it looked for an upcoming project :demented:

[​IMG]

spine shot of FB FOS :shockedevil:

[​IMG]

more info soon...

mo

16. theMachine

theMachine Huge member

I saw the first two pictures and I was wondering how the hell the leather is going to stay on...then I saw the third picture. :devil1:

Another great concept! I think I like the looks of the original design better. Maybe if the buttons were black, but I really like the versatility of this one. Only drawback I can see is that leather stretches over time and it might get loose, but I don't think it'd ever get to bad. Keep up all the great work! :thumbsup:

That's a stout FOS! I prefer micarta, but the black & red g-10 looks awesome.

17. M.Olexey

This one actually looks cleaner on the belt. The buttons are between the belt and pants completely hidden and aided in staying shut by the pressure your belt places on them. I'm not sure on the stretching. I wet form the leather around the sheath so it should be at a stretched point starting out. I may experiment with some nylon webbing.

Yea its thick. Way thicker than a knife this size needs to be but still pretty cool.

Thanks for the feedback!

mo

18. theMachine

theMachine Huge member

Hahah, you're right, the newer one does look cleaner, that's why I said, "I think". :wes: Nylon webbing is cool too, it could match some of my tactical gear. I like how we can "accessorize" the sheath now, haha. You're a brilliant man.

Agreed, fatties are cool, but 3/16s is perfect for that size knife.

edit: Is the skull and cross bone from the first hybrid sheath your mark or just something you're messing with? And those bald spots on your arms are good signs!

19. M.Olexey

One problem with the thick stock is that the kydex really grabs the hell out of it. You have to do a lot of tuneing to keep it from yanking your pants off during the draw.

It's a standard stamp that I was just messing around with. I'm working on a custom logo to have made into a stamp for my leather stuff.

You should see my legs from the knees down......not pretty :devilzeek

20. Chris Martin

Well I hope this "project" is something that includes ME:semper:

This sheath is the shit brother. I think on the next blade we will go with one of these rather than all leather. Very nice!