1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Kukri questions

Teerts Oct 17, 2016

1. Teerts

Teerts Little member

Hey all. I have to confess that I am a member of this forum mostly for the chat and community. I'd be lying if I said I was a knife enthusiast (that would be completing overstating things) but I do have some interest, especially when it come to the Nepalese kukri, which I am completely fascinated by. It's history, it symbolism etc. I see that there are hundreds new and used kukri for sale online but I doubt many are authentic (originating from Nepal), which is what I would really want one to be were I to purchase one. Are there any kukri experts on here who could advise on this? What would the price difference be? How can you tell the difference between a genuine and non-genuine blade? Indeed, is there any difference? Or am I being somewhat naive and over-romantic by assuming that there is one. I just don't see the point in owning one if it has been mass-produced in China and has no history or story to it. You know what I mean? Looking forward to hearing the thoughts of others on this.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2016
  2. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

that dude nepki used to sell real ones here occasionally.

i never got to get one...

maybe holler him up.

3. WalkingTree

WalkingTree JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Id recommend tora blades. They make authentic Kukris straight from nepal, and they're not tourist wall hangers. They're the real mccoy.

I got one from them a good while back, definitely a bad ass piece of equipment.

Himalayan imports is also quite good (or so I've heard), handmade in nepal just the same as tora, but they're not built to authentic specs. They're much more overbuilt.

4. Winter

Winter Rampaging Sausage Knife Maker or Craftsman

Authentic Kukris can be had from Tora, Khukuri House, and Himalayan Imports.

many American manufacturers make kukri shaped objects that are, essentially, machetes with the Kuk blade shape.

The authentic ones have a unique blade geometry and balance. There's a few kinds though, but, what you are looking for in a authentic one is a thick faceted spine and a slight hollow in the widest part of the blade.

Some have fullers, as many as 3-4, and some do not.

Here is a web stolen pic of the faceted spine.
    [​IMG]

5. Teerts

Teerts Little member

Thanks for the friendly advice guys! I'll take a look at all of the companies you mentioned and let you know how I get on.

6. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

with PICTURES.