1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Knife Spreadsheets

Carson Mar 19, 2011

1. Carson

Carson Rust Wizard Brigade Member

Just curious what sorts of things you guys keep track of. I've seen several posts where people wrote about their sum total they'd spent on knives and such.

I'm thinking: Manufacturer, model, steel composition, price spent, and ?
    Any other suggestions? Thanks!

2. Meridian Blades

Meridian Blades Got Wood? Knife Maker or Craftsman

Carson IMO it would be better to do it in a database. Something where you could store photos, and all info about a blade, maker or manufacturer. Access has lots of wizards that will walk you through setting things up. Standard part of the office suite most times.

Larry

3. Carson

I've never used Access. I'll look it up. My company provides me with the opportunity to get the giant MS Office setup for $10 so I picked it up.

Thanks for the suggestion!

4. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Here's a pix of my spreadsheet... could always use more room for more info and pictures. :ssad:

[​IMG]

5. Carson

Thanks for sharing! I'm working through mine now.. good grief the collection has grown a bit in the last year.

I have columns for "Own""Year""Manufacturer""Name""Model""Auto/Manual""Type""LockType""Steel""Blade Length""Handle""Cost""Description""Box?""NIB?" .. been putting any serial numbers and the like in description. I've also been taking a picture of each knife, but not sure if I can figure out how to tie pics to the knives yet. Haven't looked into that.

6. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I've also been thinking of adding the # to a picture of the knife which
    corresponds to the # on the spreadsheet and making up a photo album.
    Maybe someday when I have nothing to do. :devil1:

[​IMG]

7. Meridian Blades

Meridian Blades Got Wood? Knife Maker or Craftsman

Not to be an IT nerd here, but think about this scenario, FOR EXAMPLE....

If you have 14 blades from a particular maker, and that makers info (such as address or name) changes, then you have 14 different spots on your spreadsheet that will need to be updated with the changes. If you had a simple database, with a table inside for makers, then you'd only update one spot and every place it appeared would be updated.

Lots of ways to skin the cat, so just a thought.

Wish I had one already set up I would send ya a copy. Larry

8. Carson

It's okay. I think half my knives are a single brand. I counted up a grand total of 62 of them when I finally got them all pulled from the various places they were. I'll add in my other random knives in the future. I wasn't really concerned with it before that poll on the front page asked about how many knives you have and how much money you've got tied up. I think I clicked $1-5k and 100-200 knives. The knife count is correct, but I've got over $7k just tied up with one company!

Good grief :)