1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Knife Shows that Balisong Makers Attend

Schmoopy Apr 15, 2015

1. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Stallion Rooster JDBA Official Member

Hey everyone,

What knife shows are the most popular among balisong makers?
    I know Blade Show is a big show, but it's on the other side of the country for me :(.

Thanks in advance.

2. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

You do know that's what planes are for...?:unintroduced:

All joking aside, BLADE is a huge show, largest in the nation I believe. I see Chuck G there every year, Matt Cook was there last year, EDCKnives always has a table, Jimdo had a lot of Balis there last year, etc, etc.

That being said, IMO, unless you are FLUSH with cash, buying at shows is tough. I have gone to BLADE the last two years- plan to go again this year, and have never purchased a Bali for myself. Bought one as a favor for a friend in 2013- with the help of a super cool Devil, and last year just looked around.

Things I wanted were priced higher than I wanted to pay, and things I could afford weren't doing it for me. JMO. I have gotten more enjoyment out of meeting all the other Devils that attend the same shows. Buying Balis at shows hasn't worked out for me.

3. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Stallion Rooster JDBA Official Member

Ah, thanks for the good info.
    I just figured it'd be neat to talk to makers in persons, and convenient to do it all in one place. I'll definitely try to attend Blade Show.

I guess it does make sense that the prices would be a bit high. A table or booth at a popular show is sure to be expensive, and that cost is likely reflected in the goods.
    :thumbsup: It would still be neat to have the opportunity to skip the waitlist though.

4. Andy T

You are 100% correct, it IS really cool to talk to makers, other Devils, etc. Everyone I have met in person has been SUPER cool and very willing to talk and hang for a bit.

Well worth the time and effort if you can make it out!:thumbsup:

5. Pinoy Knife

Pinoy Knife JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

though i attended last year i won't be able to return there for a while. you might want to research who has a table there to see if you want to travel to see what there is. Andy good to meet ya .

6. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Knife Shows

There is a new(?) show coming up in Miami this month.
    Don't know anything about it. They list quite a few makers, but obviously it is smaller than Blade.

Miami International Knife Expo, at the Miami Marriot Biscayne Bay Hotel.
    April 24-25.

Here is the link:

http://fiftyfiftyproductions.net/miami-info.php

UPDATE: Just found out that this is an inaugural show. A first for this location. The promoter has also done the East Coast Custom Knife Show, New York Custom Knife show
    and wil be doing the Tactical Knife Invitational at Las Vegas next January.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
  7. Andy T

Good to meet you Matt. Highlight of my trip!!:thumbsup:

8. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

thats the show for all the warmblooded makers who hate to come to NY in the winters...

I sure hope ECCKS continues on the east coast.

9. Paper Cut

Paper Cut Huge member

I've attended OKCA- Oregon Knife Collectors association a few times. And went this year. There is not a lot for Bali guys and it's mostly just some old vets tryin to sell their KA bars. Otherwise it's not worth flying to IMO.

Small side note I got to chat with Ed Schempp for a good while this year

10. THEONEANDONLY

THEONEANDONLY Drunk on the Blood of Saints JDBA Official Member

does that mean "by invite only" like Shot Show???

11. smrst45

smrst45 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I went to OKCA this year also and it was lacking in the balisong department. The only maker that attended was Rainy Vallotton. I went in 2013 and Sam Eddleman had a table but his balis had all been sold by the time I got there.

12. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That must have been awesome. I'd love a chance to talk to Ed. He's done some really amazing stuff with mosaic Damascus and I like his designs. Shame he never made a bali.

13. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

wow you really dont know what your are talking about do ya old chump:devilfinger: