1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Knife market on decline?

blackmetal1181 Oct 27, 2019

1. Balibuyer

Balibuyer Little member JDBA Official Member

I wasn't into the game yet to see spyderflys for $75 or 42As for $160. Man, I bet those were good times. I feel there is still a pretty tight community around here and if one really needed something, he or she could get it handled. I agree in not paying the money for these pop up makers as well. And DEF agree with not supporting the high dollar chinese lines. Luckily we do have a good, honest group of badass custom makers that do make some really awesome shit, and I love being able to support them. But again, I see exactly what you are saying, and is why I generally try to stay out of the sales thread unless i really need something particular.

apdallaround likes this.
  2. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

Damn. Just got through browsing the voodoo economics section and saw balis being posted for sale for 2 and 3 thousand dollars as well as an AB Yakuza for 4 thousand dollars!

I dunno man....no fun.

senseicharles likes this.
  3. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab Pakal I JDBA Official Member

they’ll sit because
    the parents of the 13yo’s running IG are done buying balis
    :dynomite:

Linos and crogers like this.
  4. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I don't know how to reply. Yes the knife market is oversupplied. Yes custom balis (and other knives) are often over priced. Yes some guys are nuts for dropping thousands of dollars on a knife that will never be used. Yes, the value of current trendy pieces will decline as others take their place. And finally most will loose money if they got into knives as an investment, because the tastes of the buying public always will change.

5. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Average Member

I know how to reply. Flip all your balis. Then flip the 51 and you will realize it is the best.

RexRippin, chutcher and apdallaround like this.
  6. apdallaround

damn it John
    damn it Shawn
    BEST IN WHICH REGARD?

best of the worst(written humbly)

7. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

...John?....All this time I thought his name is Timmay….

8. senseicharles

senseicharles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

:bobert:

apdallaround and Shawnjohn999999 like this.
  9. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Best at blade tap? Best at rusting with that D2 steel? Best at giving to my wife because it fits her small, girly hands?

10. Shawnjohn999999

Chachi. Dont start your shit. Light smooth ultra fast swings. Balance is excellent. Clean aerial throws. Ultra low maintenance. Mic drop.

apdallaround, RexRippin and chutcher like this.
  11. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

The only thing you need to drop Shawny Boy is that 51 and run over to bhq and buy yourself a real flipper, the barebones, and save yourself 75 bucks.

12. Shawnjohn999999

Too skinny

13. Shawnjohn999999

Lotta words

14. Shawnjohn999999

If it's over supplied, why are the
    mainstays like brs and biegler never available?

15. senseicharles

senseicharles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

If you know where to look, both of those makers can be found readily. Sure from time to time people miss a drop or a specific supplier runs out but with your two examples (if you mean balis), it's not even hard to find them. Others can be much harder but with a little patience and some times luck, I've seldom had trouble finding what I was looking for. I see BRS on the secondary market all the time. Facebook, here and so on... There are several Beigler on pvk.vegas right now. And they have been there for a while. For those who have been around a while, we've seen the (bali niche) market go from a handful of Bali makers to dozens. There is no doubt the market has been absolutely saturated. When it comes to fixed blades and folders and anything that isn't a bali, the sheer volume of what's being dumped into the market annually can be a challenge to keep up with. So I don't even try. It's actually put me off of collecting much these days.

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.
  16. apdallaround

whos biegler?

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.
  17. Shawnjohn999999

It's like a niche of shithheads selling on ig. All are overpriced. They even try to say things like I vouch for this guy or that's a great deal. Bs

18. apdallaround

to be fair i would pay $3,800 for that one dirty dozen

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  19. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

I look at knife buying as entertainment. I never plan on making money. Have I made money on some knives? sure. I have also lost a shit ton on others.

I will say of all the knives I have owned over the years. I have made the most money on Mad Dogs.

seandavid55 likes this.
  20. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

I owned one. As long as you're willing to buy it strictly as a piece of history collector piece then sure...collectors pay silly amounts of money for silly things (myself included).

But if you think it's a great balisong you're gonna be disappointed. The pivots were poor. Fit and finish was poor. It had an amateurish quality.

***The versions after were greatly improved upon

Shawnjohn999999 and apdallaround like this.