1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Knife market on decline?

blackmetal1181 Oct 27, 2019

1. blackmetal1181

blackmetal1181 The Devils Knifemaker JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Besides if a new knife maker is getting that knid of money and actually selling it good for them:stu:

2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Ahem... Imma just leave this HERE.... :manganr:

3. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

:andy:

4. Linos

it is not good for them... If I buy a knife from Charles I know if something happens down the road will get money out of it plus some.If I buy it from one of these guys the only one who will make money will be my wife when she finally sells it for half (and if)for what I bought it, after I`m dead and that`s because she didn`t spend a dime on the fucking thing....knife makers get their business from word of mouth you think if I buy one from them I would buy a second ? or I would recommend them to someone else?
    it`s better to make modest money steady for a long long time than rob the bank one time :bennyda:

5. blackmetal1181

blackmetal1181 The Devils Knifemaker JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Yes the point im making is dont buy it then jesus how the fuck could a new maker get that much the buyers have all the power just dont fucking buy it

begreen61 and Shawnjohn999999 like this.
  6. blackmetal1181

Bunch of collectors bitchin about a theoretical new knifemaker trying to get paid give me a fucking break if you think thats why the market is on the decline your fucking crazy. There are so many new knife makers out there selling there shit for nothing you get use to that. Now when big makers are selling protos for more than my truck and there production stuff at 1k or more then you start bitchin about a new knife maker who is this new maker that is ruining the market. I want to know.

7. Linos

you know nothing Jon Snow...

8. blackmetal1181

All i know is that i dont know nothing. Operation ivy....

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Blurred Memories likes this.
  9. blackmetal1181

Dont know this john snow but sounds like a bitch

begreen61 likes this.
  10. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Hahahahaha :yeahthat:

I tend to concur with the "good for them" argument but some of the stuff is pure shit. Obviously there are exceptions like David Santiago. But for every David Santiago there are 5 other (insert "knifemaker" here).

***Charles Marlowe is rolling over in his grave (no, he ain't dead)

blackmetal1181 likes this.
  11. blackmetal1181

Yes for sure but a peice of shit aint going to sell if it does then is it the makers fault or the dumbass that bought it. Just sayin

12. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Average Member

Is your spell checker working because you are not using the kings english.

13. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Average Member

E
    Let's flip. I can drop my 51 with the best.

14. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab Pakal I JDBA Official Member

the term “you get what you pay for” is only relative in some regard

begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  15. Klyuchak

Klyuchak Little member JDBA Official Member

Kings english? I speak American :bwah:
    :4thjuly:

16. stonproject

stonproject Little member

I'm not as invested into the market as most of you guys who are craftsmen and been in the scene for over a decade, but from a collector's perspective I'm still seeing shit sell like mad. All of squids stuff sells out really fast, all the HOM stuff still sells out in a day, Maxace's shit sells out on preorder in the states, even the last drop of BRS stuff sold out really quick. There was the AB drop that stuck around for a while but I think thats because the majority of the community that wants an AB and has an AB, and theres a lot more competition for BRS. The knives I see not selling are these high dollar midtechs/customs that haven't had a chance to make a name for themselves because they're dumping an expensive product on a quickly saturating market.

17. Linos

Actually I think that happened because Maurice
    didn`t bought any from this drop :domo:

18. senseicharles

senseicharles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Agreed,

So much of bali market is played out to me these days. In general, I love collecting knives of all kinds but the market these days is similar to the .45 scale star wars light sabers they did way back when. They started out great and then they started doing polished chrome and gold plated butt plug versions. For so many companies in these niches, "we can" translates to "we should" because we gotta get all the money we can grab. I long for the days when hundreds of people drooled over the "Dirty Dozen" none of whom had a chance in hell of getting one. Or somebody took a picture of the bloody cut and an original Basilisk in their hand. Ah well, I'm getting old and bitter so whatever. Carry on... LOL

19. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

Damn man, I haven't been on this board in a long time. When the place changed it's format I had problems and wondered off into the Facebook forums. Glad to know the JDBA is still around.

For me the market is not much fun anymore because you almost never find a really good second hand deal. Everything is so damn expensive. I, like senseicharles, miss the good old days when you could land a Spyderfly VG10 for 75 bux or a 42A for 160. You had to keep an eye out constantly but you could find deals like that. It was a fun hobby at the time.

Something changed and now most everything is over 300 dollars and to be honest not THAT impressive. I am happy with what I have collected over the years. The thrill of the hunt is just not there for me anymore because there is nothing out there that isn't over priced at this point really. Oh well. I fondly remember checking gun broker many times a day among other places and just scoring great deals. Those days are long fucking gone.

But.......I did score an almost pristine BM 51 last week for $100!!! On (yeah you guessed it) Facebook.

The only thing wrong with it was some rust on the latch and a few spots on the spacers. And it was completely disassembled. Got rid of the rust spots in one night and watched a video that helped me figure out how to put the damn thing back together and the thing looks like new.

So I guess there are still things to hunt out there. (secondary market).

No I am not going to pay 400 to 600 dollars for a new Bali anymore since I have enough and the new stuff I see is not worth it.

And fuck no I am not going to pay $300 for a chinese knife no matter how great you say they are.

There are some damn good makers out there and I love BRS and HOM. My last big purchase was a HOM Arashi. That was awhile back now.

I guess what I am trying to say is that ten years ago let's say, the Bali scene was more of a community of collectors that were generally very honest and cared about other people and did not gouge them for profit. People would actually hook you up!

Now everything is about money.

Did I mention I miss the old days?

20. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab Pakal I JDBA Official Member

not just money.
    also likes, follows and asshats making exploiting comments on a perfectly beautiful picture.

fucking shame