1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Knife market on decline?

blackmetal1181 Oct 27, 2019

1. blackmetal1181

blackmetal1181 The Devils Knifemaker JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

I keep hearing that knives aren't selling and market is fucked up right now. Or just balis. Would like to hear some opinions of why or is it even true. Just the shows and holidays probably

apdallaround likes this.
  2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Well, the recent BRS drops have lasted a LOT longer than I would have imagined. Some went pretty quick, but others stayed around for a long time.

It also seems pretty slow in Voodoo. Some blades I thought would sell almost immediately get bumped for days. :idunno:

apdallaround and blackmetal1181 like this.
  3. blackmetal1181

blackmetal1181 The Devils Knifemaker JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thanks its probably just too much cool shit out there. Ill through in a shoe at some point

apdallaround, Balibuyer and crogers like this.
  4. crogers

Obviously, in your case anyway, shoes DO sell knives! :bwah:

5. blackmetal1181

Other bali makers are hitting it strong aswell
    Im saving for new ones

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    apdallaround, Balibuyer and crogers like this.
  6. Balibuyer

Balibuyer Little member JDBA Official Member

I was wondering the same. Got on PVK the other day and couldn't believe how many balis were listed. All kinds of makers and some I've never even heard of. But quality over quanity for me. Reckon that's why all those unknowns are still sitting there. And for the knowns.....PVK may just be putting too much on top of them to sell. Hell I don't know. I was shocked though to see the ABs hang around. I don't care much for them anymore, would rather have a mini hellcat and a badass JL chefs knife lol.

7. blackmetal1181

I heat treated saturday and did a couple chef knives and large field scalpels. I know you wanted a chef knife so i got a couple ready ill dm you when i get close.

begreen61, apdallaround and Balibuyer like this.
  8. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Multiplied by it being right before the holidays and people are going to have to buy stuff for others for once :cutty:

9. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

10. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Not you, but I have....

apdallaround likes this.
  11. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

I would say yes, there is a decline in the market.

apdallaround likes this.
  12. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Hand to God (or whatever higher being you believe in)...I was going to start a post about the "Elephant In The Room".

I don't believe the knife market is declining but definitely the Balisong market is. Sales, flippers, forum participation (on all forums), etc. When was the last time there was a flipping contest?

I can even pinpoint the exact moment it happened...when this forum changed to the new format and a whole bunch of people couldn't log. That was also when a bunch of people became "knifemakers" to profit off the boom. Became saturated. Plus that whole "Timmay" situation rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

***Those days are gone

13. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab Pakal I JDBA Official Member

Is there a decline or was the market overinflated by *people and prices are settling to where they should be?
    :helix:
    stay sharp and positive brothers
    live long the JDBA!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  14. crogers

Can I have JDBA #1016? :bobert:

15. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

That's a very good point. But I'm one of those who would welcome the shift back to where it was. When I first started collecting there were a handful of collectors that got me into the hobby...Chefget, the music teacher on the blue forum, Duane, Monty...etc. The people who really loved the hobby.

Now it seems like everybody just buy, take pics to post on Instagram, sell, make money. Rinse and repeat. They care more about the "likes" and making money than the actual hobby.

***The one unfortunate side of all this is the impact on the livelihood of the "real" knifemakers.

16. Klyuchak

Klyuchak Little member JDBA Official Member

Well even just 5 or so years ago, there just wasn't that many options out there, especially in the performance market. There just wern't enough balis to go around, everything good would get bought up, and second hand market prices shot up. Nowadays everyone and their mom are trying to get in on the action. Don't see the "decline" as a bad thing though, it's just at the point were the community is getting saturated. Niche holes are getting filled left and right, and people arn't having to settle on marked up older models to get what they're looking for.

17. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

I think the decline comes from new knifemakers screwing(knowingly or unknowingly) their secondary market....
    They are selling their knives for over the top dollar instead of trying to boost it(secondary market, that`s where they will make a name for them selves)

18. blackmetal1181

Example please seems contradictory to what i have heard people over inflating price on secondary market

begreen61 and apdallaround like this.
  19. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

….When a knifemaker sells his knife (auction or otherwise) for the same money a Charles Marlow goes for in the secondary market..... :bennyda:

20. blackmetal1181

Ok whats it go for on second market

begreen61 and apdallaround like this.