1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Knife Making Craft Question - Hidden Tang

S2Six Dec 9, 2019

1. S2Six

S2Six Little member JDBA Official Member

Hello Devils,

I've been interested in trying my hand at knife crafting for awhile now and finally put in some orders for the materials to build a forge to start my journey. In looking through some articles, I can't seem to find anything on how to do a hidden tang in a handle without using some sort of epoxy. Is it possible to having a tight pressure fit so the handle doesn't come loose, or use some other method that doesn't require epoxy? I like the idea of traditional arts, and want to try and stick to ancient methods to start.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

jimmyjo likes this.
  2. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

Tree sap, even poop were traditional glues or so I've read. You could try and make channel locks or interlocking groves but why add that struggle. Use glue or don't and see what happens.
    You could forge integrated(not the word but it's early) handles. Check out
    Colonial knife company on Instagram.
    Another great source is I forge Iron fourm on the web. They are a bunch of assholes like JD was but the knowledge is amazing.

S2Six likes this.
  3. S2Six

Aces, thanks for the tips. Poop and call it a modern art piece? What's everyone think?

jimmyjo likes this.
  4. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

seandavid55, S2Six and blackmetal1181 like this.
  5. blackmetal1181

blackmetal1181 The Devils Knifemaker JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Screw it together thread the end if the tang or weld on bolt to end of tang or all thread or peen the tang on the pommel but i would also use epoxy myself. But Bennys suggestion would give you the best info

seandavid55, S2Six and BennytheBlade like this.
  6. S2Six

Those videos look great. More awesome suggestions, thanks!

7. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Huge member

Search "take down knife construction".
    Here is a vid of the Japanese style

and a vid showing the threaded tang technique.

8. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

Awesome