1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen slicer... My first knife.

Terrapin83 Apr 6, 2019

1. Terrapin83

Terrapin83 Tiny Member

Finished up my first knife. The intent was for it to be a sort of all purpose kitchen slicer/butcher knife.. so I guess it belongs here.

It started off as just a rusty, bent, twisted, old tiller tine. It was hand forged to shape, rough grind was done on a disc sander, it was differentially hardened (clay back, oil quench), tempered for 2 cycles at 400F, finish grinding and sanding on the blade was done by hand. The handle is composed of buckeye burl on the ends and a small (1 inch) piece of deer antler in the middle. The two large tang pins were made from a hardened 7/16 in. bolt shank. The small middle pin was made from a 1/4 in. bolt shank. The handle was shaped on the disc sander, finish sanded by hand to 1500 grit, and given a quick coat of linseed oil to bring out the colors in the wood grain.

All in all, I am quite pleased with it. There are a few minor imperfections, but for this being my first knife, I'm pretty darn proud of it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
    DSCN4330lq.jpg DSCN4334lq.jpg DSCN4325lq.jpg

seandavid55 likes this.
  2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

Looks good for a first knife. :goodjob:

Now, get it in the kitchen for some slicing, and dicing, and chopping, and let's see how that edge holds up.... :manganr:

Terrapin83 likes this.
  3. Terrapin83

Terrapin83 Tiny Member

Thanks! It'll definitely be getting some use.

4. Terrapin83

Terrapin83 Tiny Member

IMG_20190408_194533256.jpg