1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen knife suggestions

42flipper Jan 5, 2019

1. 42flipper

42flipper JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I’m looking to replace my current store bought kitchen knife set with something a little nicer.

I think I want 3 knives.

1. Slicer
    2. Chefs knife
    3. santoku

Plus a good quality steel sharpener

I plan on making the knife block.

Would like to be around 300 +/-

Any thoughts?

TIA!!

2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Are you talking about custom knives? 'Cause $300 won't touch a decent custom-made chef's knife, let alone all the other stuff.

3. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I like the Ken Onion/Shun stuff and they have varying levels of quality and price.

4. 42flipper

No not custom. Just best that I can get for around 100 a knife.

5. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Wustof and J.A. Henckels both make decent quality knives that should run around $100 a piece. A lot of people look down on them. They're in no way comparable to a Harner, but Butch starts his chef's knives around $650 and they go up from there.

I've had a set of Wustofs for many years. They're still in good shape. Properly cared for, they should outlast you. (NO DISH WASHER!!!)

6. 42flipper

I’ve already started telling the wife, no dishwasher, I’ll wash them if she won’t. We will see I guess. Thanks for the info, I’ve already got one wustof that I’ve been happy with. I’ll check them out.

Just noticed/remembered there is a kitchen section here. Mods are welcome to move if you would like.