1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Kershaw Launch?

stdlrf11 Feb 28, 2016

1. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

What's the consensus on Kershaw Launch? Good quality for a user? Has anybody used the hell out of one yet?

I'm eyeballing the Launch 5 (Emerson Design) for a new daily carry piece. I've been carrying the same knives for a long, long time and I'm ready for something new to throw into the rotation.

It will be my first new knife in about 5 years. :bwah:

2. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

I have two, they are good EDC's, inexpensive but with good quality. 2016-02-29 11.08.52.jpg

3. stdlrf11

That's good to hear. I'm not expecting superb quality at that price, but they seem well built, as are most Kershaws. That Launch 1 looks pretty nice too.

4. Veker

Veker Average member

I was wondering about them too. How do they compare to the protech godfather/son/tr knives?

5. welderknifenut

welderknifenut JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The launch 1 I had, the button was a little " mushy" other than that they are great for the price, light and compact.:thumbsup:

6. stdlrf11

Mushy?

7. stdlrf11

Double post

8. welderknifenut

welderknifenut JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Basically the button would feel a liitle weird when pressing on it.
    Had a kind of a "squishy" feel to it when pressing on it, but would always fire hard and fast. It did not felt like that when it was new and
    It developed it after firing it open about a dozen times or more.
    That was the only one I had and I don't know if it's a common thing with the launches, just my experience with it.

9. stdlrf11

Thanks for explaining it.

Some of my co-workers carry the cheaper autos like Smith&Wesson and Boker and theirs get gummed up with whatever oil they use and pocket lint. The button gets harder to push and the blade doesn't even fire hard enough to lock it open. I'll end up cleaning it for them and they think I'm some sort of a miracle worker. :bwah:

That's kind of what I thought you were talking about, but that wouldn't happen so quickly with a new knife.

I'll look out for that when I finally get to finger the Launch myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2016
  10. c219460

c219460 Brigade Member Brigade Member

+1 on the Launch line, great knives, nice snap and very good fit and finish!

11. Doc Pringles

Doc Pringles The Devilz Doctor Brigade Member

12. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

i like mine but not ergo friendly in my hand

13. Johnny Mayhem

Johnny Mayhem Huge member

I snatched up a launch (I think it's the 3 it's somewhere in the house.) at the KAI sale for 40 bucks. (factory second blemished blade)

Really well built knife and totally handy for EDC.

14. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

I have had a Launch 5 Emerson for a while and it is the same. The button goes in 1/32" then stops, the blade moves slightly, then you push a little harder and it fires. Kind of like the trigger on my VP70Z.:bwah:
    If you push it with purpose it feels squishy and fires immediately.
    Other than that good bang for the buck.:devilwag:

15. pcposse

pcposse Little member

I've owned a couple Launches and they are pretty good for the price but not near the quality, fit and finish as my Protechs. Also some people have an issue with the blade not locking open or bouncing off the stop pin before locking open. I never experienced this but I've read about and spoke to others that have.

16. Benwon5

Benwon5 Huge member

I have heard complaints that the knife can fire so hard that it actually disengages itself. This has caused the knife to fold on some users hands. I don't know if the issue has been resolved since hearing this.

17. bkpetty

bkpetty Huge member

my new edc is the launch 5, and so far... I like it alot. I haven't noticed any issues with the operation, it has been totally reliable, of course I'm kinda anal about keeping it clean, and lint free...

stdlrf11 likes this.
  18. bkpetty

bkpetty Huge member

you have a VP70Z???? badass... I almost bought one back in the early 80's, but the gun shop guy let me squeeze the trigger... WORST I'd ever felt!!! (My edc is HK USP 45 lem, still love 'em...)

WSMaga likes this.
  19. mikedubz

mikedubz Tiny Member

I've got the Launch 4 and it's a fun little knife that is surprisingly functional. Well built for the price with nice action.

20. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

We're glad that you are eager to participate in our beloved forum, butt* we DO require that EVERYONE post an introduction before anything else. I notice that you have failed to do so.

Please go to the Testing the Waters. New member introductions forum at http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/testing-the-waters-new-member-introductions.34/ and tell us a little about yourself.

Otherwise, :2ful: