1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Kershaw Breakout Blues

nman729 Oct 11, 2014

1. nman729

nman729 Average member

Hey devils, I am having some trouble with my Kershaw Breakout 7000, my coil spring has snapped one of its arms off and is essentially useless now. Kershaw will not ship out a new replacement because they are discontinued. I can not find any online retailer that lists a replacement spring that will fit the Breakout. Also, the safety is broken but that is a secondary concern. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm almost at my wit's end.

FYI this is also posted at bladeforums if it seems familiar.

2. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Believe that spring is .50" in diameter but not absolutely certain.

So measure it first (the size/diameter of the pocket it sits in) and then order from HERE?

The squared/flat stock should be replaceable with a round stock version. But the MEGA Torx might have too high of a stack height. They're cheap enough though so maybe order one of each (High/Maxx/Mega) and give it a try.

ETA: Protech changed over to squared stock from round a couple of years ago...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
  3. sgt Merrey

sgt Merrey Little member

Try Knifekits .com they carry a lot of springs and screws.....

4. gzb

A smart man is the Sgt.

Just what I posted above in the Hot Link... :unintroduced:

5. Brian_W204

Brian_W204 Enormous member

Let us know if a standard spring works. I bought a Kershaw Rogue factory blem where the spring was binding. It has the flat spring like the Breakout. I was not able to get a knifekits.com spring to work, though I only had the middle-rated one on-hand.

6. nman729

nman729 Average member

Will do, I am hoping that when (yes when, because I am determined to find a solution) I find something that works this thread will be able to help others.

7. Brian_W204

Brian_W204 Enormous member

Looks like a typical coil spring wont work, at least not without modifications. I found this photo and it looks like both ends of the spring are different from a typical spring like KnifeKits sells.

Breakout Spring:

Hosted pic:

[​IMG]

KnifeKits Spring

[​IMG]

Assuming there is clearance, one end would need to be clipped a little (easy), and the other end would need to be bent 90 degrees (maybe difficult without stressing the spring). The Breakout blade has a groove for the end of the spring similar to the groove in the handle for the other end of the spring. Most coil-fired autos, including the Rogue, have a hole drilled through the blade for the end of the spring.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  8. gzb

Damn. We now have proprietary clockwise wound springs from Kershaw.

And to think folks bitch about MT and their proprietary screws... :bwah:

Thanks for researching that Brian. Interesting...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  9. nman729

nman729 Average member

Hmm, interesting. I ordered two MEGA 0.5 inch springs so if i screw one up at least I will have another shot at making something work! Good observation.

10. gzb

The MEGA springs have a pretty high stack height due to the extra thick round wire used to make them. Hopefully they'll fit.

If not, might have to go with the MAXX or even the HIGH Torque version...

11. nman729

nman729 Average member

Ok everyone, this story has a happy ending! The MEGA 0.5 springs work great in the breakout. All I had to do was bend one arm slightly and it fit just fine! Hopefully others who have trouble will see this post and be able to have their questions answered.

desmodus likes this.
  12. gzb

:thumbsup:

13. GAMBIT

GAMBIT The Protector of the Pro-Tech Brigade Member

That is good to know! Thanks.:manganr:

14. turkeylord

turkeylord Little member

Bump!

Thanks for the heads up on the springs! I bought the .50 MEGA (p/n COILMG50) springs and had to make a couple mods...

First I had to take 1/2 a coil out to get the right positioning for the ends, then I had to clip them down to match the stocker.

Here is a stock MEGA, a bent one (probably should've got a little further on this one), and the broken stocker.
    [​IMG]

And here is the finished MEGA next to the stocker.
    [​IMG]

My Breakout works again! :manganr:

15. ilovekittens

ilovekittens Sailing the seas of cheese Knife Maker or Craftsman

Nice work, hopefully the mega lasts longer. The breakout broken spring seems to be a pretty common problem, probably why they were discontinued. :pissedevil: ILK

16. turkeylord

turkeylord Little member

Thanks man, I'm thrilled to have it back in service. I did buy 2 extra springs, just in case. :)

17. PG5768

PG5768 Brigade Member Brigade Member

Did they offer you a replacement knife of equal value? I know its not the same but as a working Breakout, but its something they've been known to do with unrepairable disco'd knives. Not sure it applies to autos though.

18. turkeylord

turkeylord Little member

FWIW they did offer me credit towards a new knife. I can't recall what the dollar amount was, but it was pretty fair. $80 or something like that.

Acutally, I had finally resolved myself to take them up on the offer and pick up a Launch 2 when I decided to try the google one more time and came up with this thread. :ssmile:

19. PG5768

PG5768 Brigade Member Brigade Member

Excellent, looks like your persistence paid off. And an added bonus it'll help the other Breakout owners that have broken springs.:thumbsup:

20. foamsealguy

foamsealguy Little member

Commenting on this one as a placeholder, as I have four Breakouts in the collection, but no problems yet.

Thanks to all for the solution!