1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Kamisori razor in AEB-L and Carbon Fiber

Matthew Gregory Jul 24, 2018

1. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thought I'd fool around with a bit of a design concept, and this one was proof of that concept. The 2-1/2" blade Japanese-style straight razor consists of a laminate I made using AEB-L stainless steel and LVA carbon fiber sourced from Fibersmith, Matt Diskin's company. I'm not an expert on carbon fiber by any means, but this was by far the best stuff I've ever used.

The front or carbon fiber side is flat ground, and the back features a full hollow grind on a platen that simulates a 4 foot diameter wheel. Two gold screws add a bit of mechanical insurance to the laminate's integrity, but after testing this lamination I'm not certain I feel they're entirely necessary, at least for this application.

Gold cord was chosen to add a bit of contrast to the otherwise monochromatic theme, and to complement the screws.

Overall length is just a pinch over 6-1/2", and weighs 1-5/8 ounces. Point of balance is right at the front of the cord wrap, where it should be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. tonk

tonk JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

That's pretty cool!

Matthew Gregory likes this.
  3. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

That is amazingly cool.

Matthew Gregory likes this.