1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

journeyman smith performance test knife

Lon Humphrey Aug 29, 2011

1. coolcassi

coolcassi Huge member Lady Devil

LOL... Your Welcome... Take some tums you'll be fine...:devil1:

2. firebolt

firebolt Hollandse Duivel Brigade Member

congretulation on your JS

i like testing like this, you learn so much with hard testing
    do you have a idea how hard the cutting edge was ?
    after the hardening and temper.

3. Lon Humphrey

Lon Humphrey Moderator Knife Maker or Craftsman

yeah i had a pretty good idea that it was going to crack at the edge but i coated all but the edge in clay so i knew for certain that it wouldn't break all the way off...a good friend knife maker told me "if a knife bends in a vise 90 and the edge dont crack it sure wasn't much of a knife" and this guy was buddy's with Bill Moran

4. goober

goober Average member

Forgive my ignorance, but what's up with the 5 knives for blade?

5. Lon Humphrey

to pass the rest of the test you have to make 5 different knives and present them to a panel of judges at the annual ABS meeting which happens to be at blade show you can also do the jurried part at the show in Texas this year ...they judge you on fit, finish, design..its a hell of a test to pass

6. JJDynomite

JJDynomite Little member

Lon,
    I've only been a member of this community for a few week so... Not too sure how much my 2 cents is worth. I've looked at your website and seen your vids and honestly... I'm really impressed with your work! You make beautiful and extremely tough knives! Congrats, man. Keep it up!

7. Lon Humphrey

thanks man that's really cool of you to say

8. goober

goober Average member

Sooo....somethin different than your usual stuff?? Would think any of your bowies should pass without any trouble

9. Lon Humphrey

i do a lot of the high end stuff too but only on a order basis...i showed a Bowie to B.R. Hughes at the hammer in and he said that it wouldn't have any trouble passing the JS test BUT it wasn't the test and it wasn't 7 of the judges so we will see what happens in Atlanta in 2012 :devilzeek

10. goober

goober Average member

Well... if he said it'll pass, give your ulcer a rest:devil1: Pretty nerve racking when your being judged though-good luck!