1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese knife question

waheri3 Nov 9, 2021

1. waheri3

waheri3 Tiny Member

So I have been looking at dropping some $ on a really good gyuto, I have had Grohman chef knives, various Victorinox fibrox, and a global santoku. After doing more research I am getting worried about the brittleness of a higher-end gyuto, I have been reading stories and watching videos where the knives break or chip very easily given their higher hardness ratings. I don't "abuse" my knife but I do not baby them either. I want this knife to be my daily driver, I don't want to switch when I need to chop harder veg like squash or take the pit out of an avocado (probably made someone cringe mentioning pit) or maybe even slice rib roast off the bone so, are they really that sensitive? Or is it more common sense do not to treat it like a cleaver, screwdriver, or pry-bar type thing? And if it varies by the brand is there a Rockwell rating or other spec I should be looking at? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

We're glad that you are eager to participate in our beloved forum, butt* we DO require that EVERYONE post an introduction before anything else. I notice that you have failed to do so.

Please go to the Testing the Waters. New member introductions forum at http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/testing-the-waters-new-member-introductions.34/ and tell us a little about yourself.

Otherwise, [​IMG]