1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Is Balibalistic still in business?

Couloirman Feb 2, 2015

1. Couloirman

Couloirman Huge member

Just curious if Shawn is still making knives? I have been on the list for a flipper and a lum tanto since 2011 and haven't heard back since I got on. I tried emailing him just to say what's up and his normal email address that I got on the list with is no longer in service so I figured something might have happened, or maybe he just changed emails. How are you guys getting in touch with him?

2. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

From my understanding he is only building knives for a privileged few....but honestly I don't know...

coll3ctor likes this.
  3. Ronlad

Ronlad Vox Diabolus Administrator

It is just like finding The A-Team. Nothing privileged about it. His old email address no longer works, however.

XtraMedium likes this.
  4. jjhamilton

So is he ducking the previous list and started a new one with those "lucky" enough to get his new email??

coll3ctor likes this.
  5. Ronlad

Ronlad Vox Diabolus Administrator

Not to MY knowledge, perhaps he will reach out when whoever's name is ready on whatever list... However he manages his business.

I am not on it (The alleged list), and cannot speak FOR balibalistic though. ;)

6. jjhamilton

Oh, gotcha...man I thought you had some inside info!:jdwink2:

7. purpledc

purpledc purple or blue, depends on the strength of your gr Brigade Member

Well I for one have been on the "list" for years. And last time i got a response i was supposed to be up "soon". That was a few years ago and MY email hasnt changed. At this point i dont care how good the knives are. To me its simple. You either take names and make a list and stick to the fucking thing and keep up communication or you simply use dealers and refuse to take on requests. Either choice is better how it has been handled. At this point im sure at least a few of us have colon cancer from all the smoke blown up our asses, lol. I honestly would rather get a "fuck off" than an empty promise.

cutclown and coll3ctor like this.
  8. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Not having any special information myself either, I do know that sometimes life happens, situations change. To me personally, you are not out of anything so it could always be worse. ;)

:decisions

9. purpledc

To a degree you are correct. Its not like I sent him money and had him flake for which i am thankful. But I cant tell you how many opportunities i passed up on other knives due to promises that were not kept. And the communication issue predates his MIA status.

coll3ctor likes this.
  10. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Saw a thread on another place with people bitching at him that are waiting for 8 year's...:unintroduced:

11. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Sucks for them.

***Only makes my Balibalistic collection more valueable:bwah:

12. jjhamilton

To a point, yes I suppose the value is high...but there is a point which people begin to loose intrest due to the fact the person has ignored the people that has brought the success...the relavence becomes irrelevant. Why would I want a knife made by someone whom chooses to ignore the community I am part of...not so much.

I've counted more than 10 that had desire for the makers knife...desire equals value....they no longer desire to own one so value decreases as desire does.....(DDR)

Do I desire one, yes...but my desire doesn't match current market....so the value is much less...

13. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

What does that have to do with quality or some of the most gorgeous grinds on a knife?

He's not a racist. He didn't kill anybody. The guy enjoyed making knives, not pandering to all the constant nagging and questions.

So he sucks at communicating, apparently, but that doesn't take away from the quality of his skill as a knifemaker.

If he suddenly makes 50 new balisongs he won't have a problem selling then. He's not looking to sell 1000 knives. For every jaded person who refuse to buy a BB there are 3 more willing to take their slot if a wait list ever pops up.

***I just think it's silly to be mad at a guy who doesn't want to deal with the "drama" related to our hobby. We aren't the easiest to deal with.

FISHKNIFE, silkworm and Mr.LaBella like this.
  14. jjhamilton

No your absolutly right, to be mad is silly....without a doubt. And your of course right that if he made 100 out of the blue they would sell. But what I'm saying, if one desires an unattainable object long enough...it loses its glamour.

How long will a person seek something that is a waste to seek....
    Quality is one of the best, but if it's so difficult to have an opportunity to appreciate what good does it do...

crogers likes this.
  15. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

This thread is proof of that.

16. Eldon Talley

Eldon Talley knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Shawn told me last time I talked to him he may be back on the forums soon. He had some personal things come up that changed his life he still makes one of the best knives out there. he hasn't disapeared to piss anyone off.

17. Beelzebubbles

Beelzebubbles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

This is truth. I wouldn't take a knife from some makers if they payed me to take it off their hands at a certain point. (I'm not talking about BB specifically, more-so illusive makers in general {I think some are intentionally exclusive and that pisses me off}):bwah:

18. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Life happens for sure. Hope he's well, and I hope he returns and shows us more of his work!:thumbsup:

19. purpledc

LOL, thats ridiculous. If it were a situation where he said look I make custom knives but I dont want to answer to anybody so I will make what I make and put it out there and you will just have to roll the dice that would be one thing but that isnt the case here. He isnt just bad at communication he is bad at keeping his word. He promises knives he wont deliver, he makes lists he wont honor, he lets his "friends" cut in line on that list which is why he got so back logged to begin with and he offers completed knives to people and then doesnt follow through.

Now seeing you are someone sitting on a few you probably have a different perspective as you arent one of the countless frustrated people not getting what was promised. But if you were constantly being jerked around and lied to (any way you cut it if someone says one thing and does another without explanation its a lie) and then disappeared you would probably be singing a different tune. And if it was BRS pulling this shit people would never hear the end of it. BRS at least take care of the community that made them what they are.

There is no denying he has talent. Arguably he is the most talented balisong maker I have ever encountered. His work has a precision that seems to have came to him effortlessly. He has a talent that is so great it is scary. But there are a lot of talented people. But no amount of talent excuses poor customer service if you in fact decide to take on customers. And that is what makes it so frustrating. He is a mick strider, or a tony marfione. And what I mean by that is that his talent is so tremendous that most are willing to forgive in his case what would most definitely been a nail in the coffin for a lesser maker. I dont care how talented a knife maker is. His product may be great but buying a custom knife is usually a little more than a product for some, its an experience and its customer support. All i can say is he is lucky he is as good as he is. Id hate to see a quality control issue with his past work arise as people would be straight up fucked.

So with that dont you think if the dude didnt want to deal with the "drama" of this hobby he could have figured that out before a decade long backlog?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
    coll3ctor, abqjoe and Linos like this.
  20. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Well...I guess that last post will encourage him to become more communicative and frequent the Forum more often.

:P