1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Is a spade a spade, or does brand name matter?

RadDad87 Jun 10, 2021

1. RadDad87

RadDad87 Little Member

So I know I’m “new” with my return to the balisong community, and I’m not all spun up on the differences to the early 2000s when I was following everything balisong like a hawk. I was “tracking like a scud missile” if you will. In those days I was in love with everything benchmade, the 4x series and I always loved seeing older PCC stuff that I couldn’t afford as a kid. I also really dug 29 knives as that maker really carried the spirit of the old school balisong. I wish I had the ability then that I have now to get my hands on certain knives. Anyway, long story long, why can’t (and I may be wrong, if so feel free to correct me.) but why can’t the community call a good balisong a good balisong solely based on the company that produced it? I know first hand Bear and son has made some shit balisongs....I’ve owned them. But taking a step back from that, can’t we acknowledge when they produce something decent? Anyway I’ve rambled on more than is in my nature. So here are some pics of the knife that I think deserves a better rep than maybe it is receiving. Or maybe I’m totally out of touch and fucked in the head who knows??

upload_2021-6-10_16-59-45.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-10_17-0-14.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-10_17-0-32.jpeg

apdallaround and Balibuyer like this.
  2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Looks thin like a Kimura?

RadDad87 and Balibuyer like this.
  3. RadDad87

RadDad87 Little Member

I would say .....square like a kimura if that makes sense. But it’s a chunky boy. I have a kimura also and I’m definitely picking up what you’re putting down.

apdallaround likes this.
  4. Flip Tripper

Flip Tripper Huge member JDBA Official Member

I think with Balisongs you pretty much get what you pay for, just like brand name guitars.

apdallaround and RadDad87 like this.
  5. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

They COULD produce some good quality stuff if they cared too. And I've heard a few guys who had some that didn't break or fall apart. If you like it more power to you sir!

6. RadDad87

RadDad87 Little Member

I do like it! Actually it’s very very good. Hollow ground bayonet blade, bearing system with zero blade play, cerakote stainless steal handles, spring latch! Is it just me stuck in my old ways or are these not marks of a rad balisong!?

apdallaround likes this.
  7. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yours might be good.

But I don't want to risk my money, play roulette and get a POS.

Their reputation is trash for good reason.

8. RadDad87

RadDad87 Little Member

That’s a valid point, I may have gotten a good one but who knows what their quality control looks like. There may be lemons a plenty coming out of that shop.

apdallaround likes this.
  9. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I've owned a few bear ops balisongs of varying quality. Seems to be that their higher price stuff tends to also be higher quality but there's a certain barrier they just can't seem to get past when it comes to quality control.

apdallaround, chutcher and RadDad87 like this.
  10. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

98$ Not a bad price, you don't like it re-sale it and post here why and yes bear and son have a bad rep justify by their product quality but this one looks ok to me.

apdallaround likes this.
  11. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

name means nothing

especially in the community

look at the community

get what YOU like

fuck everyone else and their name

RadDad87 likes this.
  12. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

Shill post and tired read.

13. RadDad87

RadDad87 Little Member

Tired read, sure. Shill post? Please enlighten me how you came to that conclusion.

V/R
    Mike

14. Shawnjohn999999

I know how to read.

15. RadDad87

RadDad87 Little Member

That’s good for you friend, but a “shill post” insinuates that I have some sort of vested interest in the company that produces the knife, that I said was good. However, I have no vested interest, or to put it bluntly so someone like you (a man who can read) will understand, I give zero fucks about bear and son or bear ops or whatever else, and I definitely have no financial or professional tie to that company. That being said, it seems to me ….and I’ve given it some thought…you’re a fucking idiot.

my evidence to show that you are a fucking idiot is as follows.

1. I liked a knife I bought from a company I have no affiliation with.

2. I posted on a knife forum that I thought it was good despite the company’s rep

3. Your response is “shill post”

therefore…..
    you can fuck yourself.

or who knows maybe I’m just drunk and forgot that I own a knife company.

V/R
    Mike

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021 at 11:06 PM
    apdallaround, Pinoy Knife and Rio like this.
  16. RadDad87

RadDad87 Little Member

Oh I forgot to say that you also seem a bit like a cunt. I hope that’s working out well for you.

V/R
    Mike

apdallaround and Flip Tripper like this.
  17. Flip Tripper

Flip Tripper Huge member JDBA Official Member

Hell yeah get his ass!!:angry:

18. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

:eric::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::strike::bringit::rockon2::hulk:Let’s go!!! Bali drama from yo baby mama:morebeer:

Flip Tripper and apdallaround like this.
  19. Shawnjohn999999

I'm an idiot cunt. Yeah I'm good with that.

20. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

i’ve been that drunk

recently

when i woke up i was laying naked beside my push lawn mower in my living room

i hope i did a good job, with straight lines to whoever in my neighborhood got the free mow

Flip Tripper, Rio and RadDad87 like this.