1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction and suggestions for first balisong under $150?

bsooey Apr 24, 2018

1. bsooey

bsooey Tiny Member

Hello everyone! I recently joined JerzeeDevil due to recently starting to get into balisongs and figured this would be a good forum for my introduction. I'm pretty novice when it comes to knives in general (the only knife I currently own is a Kershaw Brawler Model 1990) but I'm hoping to learn more about balisongs and learn some flipping as well.

Having said, that does anyone have any recommendations for a first balisong? I'm hoping to spend under $150...

2. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

3. bsooey

bsooey Tiny Member

Thank you!

desmodus and seandavid55 like this.
  4. HedaCoon

HedaCoon *is not a coon Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

For 150, there are not really any good balis with live blade. My number 1 recommend are squid industry trainers within that range if you want to just start out and it is a good investment if you need to resell it later.
    Other than that, there is also barfly bottle opener but it's pretty loud and heavier than most standard balis.
    Or if you really dwell deep with the community, couple other people are starting to release their own balis following the squid trainers to fill the same niche of 150ish but still new so they are still improving like the shankle trainers (had some issues with cracking), or the doosh.

I wouldn't even bother with bear and son or bear ops, those things will just break

Balibuyer likes this.
  5. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

A lot of people on here may disagree, but a carbon fiber with steel liner version of bear ops B200 is pretty decent for the price.

There's also the maxace DMG, which is absolutely the best knife in that price range. The downside is that the maker sells through Dhgate and doesn't adhere to customs regulations since it's made in China. There's also the fact that there kind if isn't customer service because it's overseas.

Honestly of just wait and save up for a BRS or Hom. Even a Tachyon 3 or BM51 are pretty good for the price.

Balibuyer likes this.
  6. Balibuyer

Balibuyer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Just save another $150 then start looking. Dont rush it.

7. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Look into the Maxace DMG, for $120 you can't go wrong. Learn with it. If you're still into the art after that, then move up the ladder.

8. benzen12

benzen12 Little Member

Bear ops isn't that bad if you realize it's not going to last forever. They sell replacement hardware if you break a tang pin. Boker trainers are solid for like $50. Barfly or the pro model is a good choice too. There is also the Shrade manilla folder. Old school press pin heavy as shit great knife. I would recommend it just because it's so heavy.

9. Syfer22

Syfer22 Little member

I posted this in another thread (actually, I wasn't paying attention and thought that thread was this one), but what do you guys think of Pinoy Steel? They seem to have a lot of balisongs under $150.

10. RoninFlipper

RoninFlipper Little Member

Base price for quality Balisongs is $250 or so dollars,and it goes up from there. Wish it were lower,but that’s the market reality for live blade balisong knives. Anything cheaper then $200 is either illegally imported or will fall apart. Note that if you flip a Bali and it breaks mid trick you could get hurt.

11. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

12. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

They all appear to be stainless steel handles (heavy and can beat you up a good bit) and cheap blade steel. Also pinned, which means once there starts to be very prominent play in the handles you're basically SOL.

Not a bad knife to start with but dont expect it to be a comfortable knife to work with or to hold any resale value. IMO if you haven't heard of it, especially on these forums, it's probably bad news.

13. Syfer22

Syfer22 Little member

Didn't the Kimura run end a while ago, though? It might be tough to find one.

Think it might be beneficial for this guy to open a post in the WTB section, looking for a good bali under $150 and see what offers come in? The JD forums are really helpful, so I highly doubt anyone will try to screw Bsooey with a shitty bali.

mike_geno and desmodus like this.