1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting conversation with the ole lady

stdlrf11 May 19, 2016

1. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

My buddy's wife went into the hospital with shortness of breath, and ended up having open heart surgery. She's an older lady. The surgery went well, but she isn't healing like they want. It's been a bad ordeal.

My wife and I were talking about it, and I mentioned that I wasn't sure I'd even go through with the surgery in the first place. I guess that's not what she wanted to hear. It began an interesting conversation about whether modern medical treatments are always worth it.

That got me thinking about others I know, both online and in real life, who are battling cancers and other life threatening illness.

One of my dad's last coherent conversations with me, before the cancer rotted his brain, was about how, if he had it to do all over again, he wouldn't have undergone the chemo, radiation therapy, and surgeries. He said the last few years would have been less painful. He would rather have died quicker than stalled the inevitable through painful and expensive treatments.

I'm not saying I agree, but I'd really have to think about it before making the decision.

What are your thoughts?

Would you keep fighting till the end, or spend the last bit of time doing something else?

2. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

"It's better to burn out

than fade away.

Rust never sleeps."

3. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

My brother died from cancer. He said he would only do one round of chemo and that was what he did. They did try some surgery before chemo I believe, but it didn't do much either. He was 27.

I know the first reaction is to try and live just a little bit longer, but I think he did the right thing.

4. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

The quality of life is more important than the quantity of life.

I have C.O.P.D. which is slowly killing me, as it did to my father and brother. Seeing them try to prolong their lives in the hospitals, I have a DNR order in place.

5. Spade115

Spade115 Huge member

Ive talked to my wife about this and my dad and I have the same idea.

I wouldnt go through it, Hell I might not even tell the wife I have cancer until the very end.

I wouldnt go through the chemo or anything else because I have seen people get rid of it and get it back months later to have to go through it all again.

If its my time I have no say.

I can die in my bed one day or die walking into work.

6. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Brigade Member JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I guess it all depends on the type of disease and the current treatments available. There is a very high success rate for treating some cancers, and not for others. I have some family members that have done quite well after battling cancer. Then I have others that have lost their minds with dementia. That scares me more than anything, I would like to think that if it something similar begins to happen to me that I might take up skydiving with no parachute.

7. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

No clue to be honest, I can talk and plan but I will only know when the time comes, no death dealing for me before it arrives.

8. Rhonda

Rhonda knife diva Lady Devil Brigade Member

Absolutely this.

9. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Make it three. IMO the whole bowl of wax changes when you have young children.

10. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I gave this a lot of thought and realize that there are a bunch of variables to consider. I had 16 chemo treatments followed by 25 radiation treatments back in 2010 after having my left chest rearranged with cancer surgery. What's that phrase... oh yeah... "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger." Don't know if I agree with that phrase but I do know I prefer seeing the sun rise, people laugh, kids play, feel the warmth of a sunny day, good company of a best friend, a nice glass of a red wine as opposed to giving up. Cancer's been gone for almost 6 years. I'd fight it again if I have the strength. :thumbsup:

11. TopHat

TopHat Drivin' that train..... Brigade Member

This.

As with many things in life, no one really knows how they will react until they see the elephant.

I saw my dad die from leukemia when I was 15. Because I was young and knew everything about everything, I knew I would never let myself suffer and waste away like he did.

Now I have young kids and that has changed much of my previous outlook on life's challenges.

12. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

i've got two young daughters.
    i'd probably do what is best for them.
    my wifes dad died of cancer when she was 6.
    i'd defer to her experience on what was best for them.