1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Information on balisong

gritsgear Nov 15, 2015

1. gritsgear

gritsgear Little member

Hello,

I purchased this balisong at a knife show yesterday. I was hoping someone would know something about it and be able to share information.

View attachment 132400 View attachment 132401

I have trouble finding any much information online since most results are about the newer Fury balisong trainer. I found a link to a record of one that sold 3 years ago on ebay but I cant see the price it sold for without putting in my debit card.

It is a Fury balisong model number 10315. The sign said vintage balisong and either 1970 or 1980.

Thank you in advance for any information!

-grits

braundc likes this.
  2. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

It looks like the old Taylor Skinner from around 1980, except, that one had a gut hook. This is likely a knock-off

3. j.nailz

j.nailz JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Didn't those Taylor setos have 2 or 3 blade styles?

4. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Two, for sure. The markings don't appear correct on this one (from my limited knowledge)

5. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

6. gritsgear

gritsgear Little member

7. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I believe it is a genuine Taylor. I had several variations of this knife in my collection a long time ago. These knives were early clones of an American custom maker "Nolen Knives".

8. gritsgear

gritsgear Little member

Is Fury known for making clones? Seems like most people believe it's a clone but it's made fairly nicely and Fury is engraved into the blade

9. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

Looks genuinely vintage to me.

10. gritsgear

gritsgear Little member

Why are the four bottom pins on both sides of the scales placed randomly and not set flush?

11. LAHST

LAHST JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

To clear the latch.... probably an after thought

12. braundc

braundc JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

nice find!

:thumbsup:

Great little knife! IMHO, those were all made in the same Japanese factory (probably Seto) for several different distributers back in the eighties. I have managed to collect several in different Micarta colors, wood and even (synthetic) antler. Some with gut hooks, others obviously without. If memory serves me, without digging them out, I believe the tang stamps on mine are Taylor, Fury, C.I. (Compass Industries) and Parker Gypsy. Never seen a different blade profile though. Thanks for posting it!