1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

In case you didn't know about DDR

buddy Feb 23, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

Yeah, you might actually be surprised how common of a mistake this is. That's why sometimes you'll be hearing about PB Bushings in a bali, that are really just washers.

I was thinking of doing a whole video actually explaining and demonstrating the differences, but so few people watch my videos as is, it's not worth it.

2. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Dang my passive aggressive tendencies.

3. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

here show em this...

[YOUTUBE]OFdf4EHll8g[/YOUTUBE]

4. Silent Jay

[video=youtube;-0P-iiCZ6wI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0P-iiCZ6wI&feature=plcp&context=C382cfd0UDOEgsToPDskKkSx--jBpKAoFyxG8ocL3z[/video]

Looks like bushings here though (in fact, no washers at all)

5. Helix

Helix Balipocalypse Assassin

hmm. It does look like there may be bushings there in that vid. interesting.

I talked to Darrel on the phone for about an hour last night and we had a long conversation about bushings. He said "I've always called washers bushings" and I explained what I was expecting when I asked for bushings and was told I'd be getting bushings. He said he had used what I call bushings on folders and automatics in the past, but never thought about putting them on a bali because he "didn't see the point to putting them on a balisong" and I got the impression he had never done so. Maybe he has, but he sure seemed like it was a new, crazy idea to him to put bushings on a bali. I referenced the Tachyon, Basilisk, Alpha Beast and Spyderco balis as good examples of balis with bushings and explained to him the advantage of having them on bali pivots.

I do know for a fact that my Raiden does not have bushings and would be willing to bet that the 9 other people who ordered Raidens with bushings do not either.

He said he would think over if there was a way to retrofit bushings in there, but it might not work. So, if he can't retrofit it I guess I will settle for bearings. We'll see.

6. Helix

I did not measure my blade and sent the knife back this morning.

It is still the same thick blade as all the others though. The reason it has three washers on each side of each pivot is because they are the exact same blades and handles as the bearing versions. The blade and handles both have counterbores for the bearing races. So on mine, they put one washer to fill that recess in the handle, one to fill that recess in the blade and one in the middle to act like a regular washer would.

7. Ryanol

Wouldn't it be awesome if he was honest and upfront all the time and not just when he got called out?

8. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

Ok, this got me a little worried....

But, this Raiden/Rayden clearly has bushings and two PB washers per side.

[​IMG]

9. Ryanol

Dude - For real???

Where do you see the bushing?

Is it not in frame or am I looking past it, cause I see a sex bolt/chicago screw/NLT pivot a blade with a race for bearings milled out and some washers.

Helix likes this.
  10. Helix

this ^

11. silkworm

In this picture the bushing is seated inside the blade. It's being held on by grease. That's not a race for bearings. The entire thing comes out and fits around the pivot.

12. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

Interesting :thumbsup:

13. Helix

Prove it. Pull the "bushing" out and take a picture. Grease isn't glue....a real bushing should rotate freely in the pivot hole and be easily popped out. I guarantee you can't get the "bushing" out...because it is not a bushing...it's part of the blade.

A bushing should be wider than the blade, not thinner....that's the whole point.

What you are thinking is the bushing is just part of the blade. It is just counterbored to allow for bearings. And there are 3 washers per side...you didn't take the third one out of the race in the handle.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  14. silkworm

My apologies. You're right. The grease was covering it ups bit. That is race. I guess LK and DDR will be getting phone call. I'll get you another oil a bit.

15. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

That's really weird... I can understand bearings being good with the race, but just washers? Seems like DDR never had REAL bushings on ANY of his balis :facepalm:

16. Ryanol

Nah from the looks of it - Nards at least "looks" like it has a bushing.

FWIW I can't remember who I was arguing with (most likely SJ) a while ago but races being milled into the blade on bearing based balis...but nahnahnah nah na. :devilfinger:

17. Helix

It does look like it. I would like to see it taken apart showing the actual separate bushing though. Nard, you around buddy? Care to oblige?

Darrel sure acted like he had never seen bushings on a balisong when I talked to him, so I remain skeptical that any of his balis do, but in Nard's video it does look kind of like there are bushings on his Twist. Without stone cold proof of it taken apart and showing the separate bushing or playing with it myself, I have a hard time saying for sure though.

18. Silent Jay

Wasn't me. I know full well that's one of the methods of putting bearings into a bali.

19. silkworm

NO Bushings.

Sorry for the mistake. It's hard to dissect a bali with a crying baby in one arm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Helix

Here is another pic fwiw. It pretty much doesn't show much that Silky's doesn't, except for the counterbore races in the handle and one set of 3 washers from one side. Btw, my "No Loctite" pivots appeared to have have a little bit of loctite on them. *raises eyebrow*
    Did yours Silky? (edit: I think I can see the little bit of red residue on the screw in one of your pics, so I'm assuming it did have some thread locker)

[​IMG]

Also, I have no real point to mentioning this in case people were curious for some reason, but the barrel bolts appear to be press fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.