1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

I want to bushing mod a BM 51... Myself?

Nikguy Jul 23, 2020

Tags:
  1. Nikguy

Nikguy Little Member

can't be too hard if you have access to a drill press right? Just select the bit that is the size of the OD of the bushing.... Then your good right? (Maybe undersize a tiny bit, then hand fit it?) Is D2 just too hard to do this too?

I'm getting inspired by the flytanium trainer blade, and want my live blade to feel that nice.

JAM3X and chutcher like this.
  2. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Famous last words...

seandavid55, jan187, JAM3X and 4 others like this.
  3. Nikguy

Nikguy Little Member

Haha I know. Hence why I haven't done it yet.... Anyone here try something similar?

JAM3X, apdallaround and chutcher like this.
  4. Mastema

Mastema Little Member JDBA Official Member

D2 drills fine, hardened D2 less so (though not impossible). Drill (undersized) then ream (to size) would be my suggestion

JAM3X likes this.
  5. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

could try to find the zenith flyti live blade and ditch the oem

not sure how rare they are today though

6. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

I think they release a few after each new version of the scales (they just dropped v9 like a week ago;-)
    #metoo lol.
    I've been thinking about doing the same thing for years, but I'm holding out for a FlyTi Zenith blade. Just be sure to keep the holes center and I think you should be good. If you do it please let us know how it goes!
    Also I heard Flytanium has been working pretty hard on the next batch of Zenith live blades, but covid, so no eta...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    apdallaround and Nikguy like this.
  7. Nikguy

Nikguy Little Member

My brother works lathes at a machine shop. Maybe I can get someone there who knows how to use a mill help me

JAM3X and apdallaround like this.
  8. shinyblades

shinyblades Little Member

Yes, you can't drill through hardened steel so you have to use diamond bits. I haven't tried it, I just had the idea like you. Then, you get a 1/4" brass rod from usaknifemaker, and get diamond paste, rub it in the shaft and the diamond bits will imbed in the brass and will smooth out the inside of the holes after the grooves created by the diamond bits. Almost bought some diamond bits form Harbor Freight the other day. The brass rod thing is on usaknifemaker. Everybody else makes the 1/4" hole first, smooth it, THEN heat treat. I gave up thinking about it because I found a flyti trainer blade but I want the Zenith but California

JAM3X likes this.
  9. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

I bet alot of ppl see the FlyTi blades then think "maybe I can do it myself, how hard can it be?" Then realize they don't have extra 51 blades to screw up, and wind up with that idea bouncing around while waiting for the Zenith blades, that seem to never come in stock.
    I know that's how I've been feeling for a while at least lol.

10. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

All this nonsense over a 51 and all you really need to do is buy a brs or hom

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    nightrage likes this.
  11. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

....if you use drill bits to do that ,you `re going to fuck your blade up...just a thought

chutcher and Pinoy Knife like this.