1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

I keep getting cut... bad.

Barrels87 Jan 21, 2017

1. Barrels87

Barrels87 Little member

Hey devils im new to flipping and i really love it . One thing that keeps happening tho is im getting cut up baaad. Like i know people get cut offten but i feel like im doing it way more than normal. I always use a live blade cuz heard thats the way to go. My main flippers are barebones and just gota replicant alt. Last week dropped my barebones tried to catch it to save it from hitting pavement and drove that bad larry into my leg. Got 12 stiches. Anyone have as much injuries as me starting out or am i just awfull? Any advice? In no way do the cuts scare me outa it. Not stoppin. Thanks guys. Help me out.:balitrickfail:

2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Only advice I can offer is that if you drop a knife NEVER, and I mean NEVER, try to catch it! If you're concerned about damaging your stuff, flip over something soft.

I had a friend that almost lost two fingers when he dropped a 10" Chef's knife and tried to catch it.

Oh, and watch your toes too! :devilzeek

3. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

That is the best advice you can get. Don't try to catch it!!

obi

4. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Pics or it didn't happen.

5. RRTvette

RRTvette Gonna ventilate you JDBA Official Member

Go slower on moves you are not confident with and always focus on what you are doing and which handle you are holding.  Like they said...never try and save a falling knife.

6. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

And don't flip over barefeet.

Those have left some of the best scars.

7. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

buy a trainer dude..

8. Barrels87

Barrels87 Little member

Thank you guys. Ya ima chef too. Im comfortable around knifes. Good advice i practice usually above soft surface. When i cut my thigh good i was ina driveway i got a bad catch instinct. Ive also dropped chef knifes at work and instinctively tried to stop them. Il def work on letting it fall. Id like a trainer but only one i want bad is squid trainer. Thank you guys for your responses i want to learn as much as i can. Il go slower and be carefull.

9. Barrels87

Barrels87 Little member

I took a pic of the stitches did it work

10. Barrels87

Barrels87 Little member

I wish it didnt happen guano loco

11. desmodus

There are no pictures :(

12. Barrels87

Barrels87 Little member

I made the pic of my injury the avitar thats only way itd led me upload image. There was sooo much blood inner thigh i was worried cuz theres a main artary there sumwere. Five more stiches underneath s

desmodus likes this.
  13. Band-aid

Band-aid Stuck on 'em! JDBA Official Member

THIS......^^^^^^^

14. T-Rev

T-Rev Average member

In the words of Stu, "A falling knife has no handle"

Xmegaman and KaliSong like this.
  15. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

If you are reall y worried about getting cut while flipping chances are you will, that and I do agree that live blade is the way to go but the knife doesn't need to be razor sharp just sharp enough to remind you its there when you mess up.

I wouldn't try to flip over pavement if you are new to flipping unless you look at the knife and say to yourself "ok this knife is never going to be new again this will be my main flipper and I know that it is going to get damaged and I am ok with that." and I do recommend this for at least one knife, mine was a kimura and it is destroyed now but I got the basics down and now I feel relatively safe flipping most knives over any surface