1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

I have no bali

tom c Mar 16, 2018

1. tom c

tom c Tiny Member

I can’t decide wether I should get another 31 or 43 (I sold them long ago), a tach iii, some older bM like a 44 or 45 or 35, or hold out and see if something new comes along.. I just can’t get into the whole “sandwich” construction everyone’s into these days... (there’s no real point to this post)(or should I give in and get some morpho? 62 or an ugly 87? Is there a channel flytanium handle in the works? Why am I here?)

nostimos likes this.
  2. tom c

tom c Tiny Member

My main reason for disliking ‘sandwich’ construction knives, I once had an edge ruined by a rogue dime in my pocket..

3. J32A2

J32A2 Huge member JDBA Official Member

Talisong!

4. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Most 29's are one piece channel handles like the original Balisong USA .

coll3ctor and nostimos like this.
  5. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Now that's some bad luck!

6. Rover

Rover Rock N' Roll Outlaw JDBA Official Member

I’m a channel fan as well. If you like the older BMs check out 29 knives. Custom knives for less than what a lot of Benchmades go for these days.

nostimos likes this.
  7. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

get creative, avoid the dime damage scenerio.

i bought a cheap leather reading glasses sleeve online for $5 plus a buck or so shipping, cut and restitched it a bit slimmer. its only function is to prevent keys, coins, condoms, etc from damaging or getting damaged by my bali.

i pocket edc my bb2.0 lately
    [​IMG]

there are so many beautiful sandwich balis that flip amazing and function great as edc.

Alfie, QMAXIMUS, begreen61 and 3 others like this.
  8. KaptainKürbstomp

KaptainKürbstomp Little Member

Get a springer 43 and never look back

coll3ctor and nostimos like this.
  9. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

You have great taste in Bali’s.
    I too love channels and own the ones you mentioned, even the 90’s 44/45/35.
    If you can afford it, I would keep an eye out and “buy back your youth”.
    Or wait for a good deal on one to show up. But you’ll have to stay vigilant.
    Until then, look into a modern currently available channel to satisfy you like the above mentioned 29 Knives.
    There’s also many decent sandwich styles that are better than the toyish 51/32, like the BRS Alpha Beast and Replicant.
    Don’t spent too much though.
    Save the majority of your money for the channels if that’s your true passion.
    And under no circumstances should you buy the channel handle overpriced BM 87, or a crappy aluminum handle Microtech Tachyon III ! :jdwink2:

10. bradenwright

bradenwright Little member

First question should be are you getting it to Flip, EDC, Both. I don't think the BMs hold a up when comparing them to BRS, HOM for flipping. But all those knives are Sandwich. I like FlyTi 51 w/ FlyTi Blade, but considering the cost after all said and done, I don't think its worth it. Personally I'd go with an AB they drop next week.

I don't flip my 42 all that much and I returned the 87 after I had it about a week, I hated that magnet latch and that removing the latch look dumb as hell! I also personally hated the blade style. It did make a really cool high pitch ping noise. Good luck finding a 31. Unfortunately I don't have an recommendations for sandwich, I saw Talisongs (channel) mentioned but don't have an experience with them.

desmodus likes this.
  11. tom c

tom c Tiny Member

Thanks for all the replies! Those Talisongs look pretty nice. I’ve always been a fan of 29 knives, but I thought they were no longer being made? The few available ones I’ve seen for sale were in the 700$ range, a bit too high for me.. I don’t plan on doing a lot of flipping, I just want them to flip open. Why the hell did Benchmade made the 87 when they could have made me an improved 42?
    I also really don’t like all the screws in the 6x knives, makes it look like I’m gonna have to constantly be putting it back together.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Xmegaman and coll3ctor like this.
  12. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

talisongs are awesome and worth every penny.

the question about why didn't they make a 42 is THE most asked bali question in history and always will be. if you really want to know, search a little. there are literally hundreds of people who have answered it already.

btw, fuck the 42. in its day it was awesome mostly because nothing else in production was good for flipping. it was also appropriately priced. for what it costs now to get one, it is NOT worth it if you're getting it for flipping. you can get a slew of bali for the same price that WILL flip better. if you want it for collecting purposes then go for it. they're only going to continue to go up in value (they really aren't ever going to make any more).

as for the screws on the 6x, just loctite them. all bali have screws and they all need some form of thread locking. even if you don't regularly flip, the pivots will loosen.

QMAXIMUS, bradenwright and Balibuyer like this.
  13. Saintadam

Saintadam Tiny Member

Atropos demon has channeled TI handles, im pretty new though and that may or may not be a good bali.

14. Caffiend

Caffiend JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Like you and others here I personally think that the old "Bali-Song" balis and the channel Benchmades of the mid90s are better construction-wise to the sandwich ones of today, the tradeoff being heavier in weight, less flippability and little to no modification options.

As a compromise have you considered a "chanwich" bali like a Dewey Deviant?

desmodus likes this.
  15. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

i once thought like you. I insisted on channel balisongs but waited and waited. there arent too many out there.

16. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Exactly. It was as mass produced then as the 6x series is now.

17. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

I'd have to agree . :thefinger

:cheesydevil:

QMAXIMUS, nostimos and desmodus like this.
  18. tom c

tom c Tiny Member

Welp, I probably just paid a bit too much for a 31, couldn’t justify the prices of a 45, and the 44’s I was eyeballing slipped away, can’t wait!

19. tom c

tom c Tiny Member

I’m thinking a 31 will fill the need for a channel edc, I wish I had enough for one of those Jody Sampson’s out there

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018