1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

I do it most every year...........

tubtar Dec 26, 2017

1. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Why should this one be any different ?
    Random thoughts from Christmas morning.
    I had to work Christmas day as well.........if they didn't pay me well , I could easily say no.
    But appealing to my human greed usually does the trick.

Before I step off into the ice box and do what I am paid to do , I just want to take a minute to reflect.
    I do have to work today.............working on a holiday , for a company named Holiday..........well , no irony there , is there ?
    But I am fortunate to have a good job..........one that allows me the freedom to make some moves and do some things when I am not out there earning.
    And even while I am.
    I am , of course referring to good deed kind of shit..........things we frequently look back on...... those moments pass and we
    think " I wish I would have " or " Gee , I should have ".
    So for today , and even going forward , I am going to suggest acting impulsively when it can benefit another.
    Here is where it gets interesting.
    It doesn't need to be life changing..............to you.
    But we'll never know the real impact as a rule.........part of what makes it interesting for me.
    Pondering whether it worked out like I had hoped.
    Before I get everyone scratching their heads and wondering what the hell I am blathering on about , I'll go to my pocket full of personal examples.
    Yesterday , I am in a station doing the paperwork for the gas I just delivered.
    There is a famalial unit in the store grabbing some snackage.
    The kid , Zach , looks to be around ten when I finally put eyes to him.
    I am focusing on my deal , and listening to the exchange between him , Mom and Dad as they work different aisles looking for what they want.
    Zach wants BBQ potato chips , but all he can find is the big bags.
    Mom , exercising fiscal and nutritional prudence , tells him to put it back.
    I finish my paperwork an make a decision.
    It is , after all , Christmas Eve.
    If Zach wants BBQ potato chips , it isn't going to be me that denies him.
    I walked over to Dad , handed him a twenty and told him " get Zach the big bag...........Merry Christmas.
    So far , I have seen the top of Mom's head from two aisles over , heard Zach and , obviously , am looking at Dad right now.
    This is a young family that will not be getting into a new SUV and driving to a large suburban home.
    Somewhere just north of struggling if I had to give my best guess.
    It can backfire..........pride and not wanting to be seen as less than capable of providing for his tribe could spark outrage in him , but it didn't.
    More like surprise , bordering on shock , that a stranger would do something like this.
    Just where I like it to land.
    I have to wait for the customers to check out before I can get my bills signed , and they are three sets in front of me.
    I finally see Zach...........we exchange a smile and a nod.
    That is a mighty fine reward for doing something as easy as that.
    Merry Christmas to all my friends and family.
    I hope your holidays are filled with smiles and laughter.

2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

I LIKE big bags o' BBQ potato chips! :bwah:

Good on you John. You may end up restoring my faith in humanity!

Prolly not, butt* you're giving it a good shot.

begreen61, tubtar and Kelper like this.
  3. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

You're a good man, Charlie Brown! :clap:

4. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

Very nice. Small actions have a way of changing the world.

begreen61, tubtar and crogers like this.
  5. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Must be a gary thing ,,was going to say the same exact thing ,,your awesome john ,,,,but you know that...

tubtar and crogers like this.
  6. KaptainKürbstomp

KaptainKürbstomp Little Member

I've got a very fond memory of a trip to the store with my mom when I was a kid. Saw chocolate chip waffles and really wanted to try them, but we couldn't afford them because we only had $20 for a week's worth of groceries. That memory stuck with me all this time and it's one of many that I'll never forget, but I'm sure the same thing goes for that kid too and I bet he'll never forget those chips. Good on you, man