1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hybrid Rep Worth it?

JAM3X Dec 5, 2020

1. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

I'm wondering if the hybrid is worth giving a shot? Will it be a limited run? or something like a "pilot run"? I do like Ti Balis and don't yet own a Rep- I have all 3 main AB types, and really like the Infinity which is light, but I like the chab more.

Should I save the money and wait for a standard Rep, which is in the same weight range as the Infinity that I like so much (I don't mind the weight of the AB and CHAB at all tho), OR should I jump on the Hybrid if I can?

I'm really torn on this one! What do you guys know and/ or think about the Hybrid Rep??? Any thoughts or info (or "idiot noob" jokes @ me, if clever) will be much welcome. Lemme know watcha think!

2. Dudeofthedead1334

Dudeofthedead1334 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Sounds like you like the junk in the trunk and this rep is gonna be more on the heavy side. Usually reps are a bit more light agile and bouncy so this will be significantly different. Will probably be a continued model of the rep although as with most renditions the drops are usually few and far between. Since you like the badonkadonk on the chab you'll probably like it on the rep, worst case scenario they hold value second hand

3. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

I do like the badankadonk! Thanks for the info, and advice. I feel like I should jump on it, but I just got a Rep 10 mins ago, should be on the way soon. I Never even held a rep and wanted to try one, I just happened to find a nice Tiger Rep right after I posted lol. Always wanted a Tiger. I think I'll like it, I imagine it to be like a bigger, heavier, better tunned BM-51 (my first quality Bali and EDC)

4. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

It's been a long time coming and they have spent a lot of time trying to reduce the weight. I think it looks pretty sick and I'm curious how the final product turns out. However, I am going to skip this initial batch and wait to see what the reviews are like. If positive then I will probably try to pick one up on the next drop.

TheChemist and JAM3X like this.
  5. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

My thoughts exactly! Remember the first pic from BRS with a proto on a scale? It was like 7 ounces! I don't know how they got it down under 6 without drastically changing the looks, which I really dig, but somehow they did. Urgh, I really have to sell some of my collection, BRS is goinna put me on the street.

Im pretty sure when I first joined JD and got a CHAB you, Chutcher, said I should try a Rep. Well after getting addicted to ABs I just finally bought that Rep today. If I like it then I'll probably also jump on the next run of Hybrids after seeing the reviews. I think I'm gonna like it cause it's close in weight to the Infinity, I wonder how I'll like the Zen pins tho...

chutcher likes this.
  6. Blurred Memories

Blurred Memories JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

so..... did you get one?

I did !
    :wootdance

chutcher and JAM3X like this.
  7. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

SCORE!!!
    Congrats! After u get it take some time to enjoy, then please let us know what you think... I'm extremely interested in how it flips and compares to other balisongs.

I almost tried to get one too, so damn tempting, but I found the tiger Rep I've been looking for and promised myself no more expensive knives for a few months lol.

Now take your victory lap X-D

chutcher likes this.
  8. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Oops... i forgot to keep an eye on the drop. How long until they sold out?

JAM3X likes this.
  9. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

Ur usually on top of that shit lol. I'm also interested in how long they lasted, might help determine how hard it's gonna be next time.

chutcher likes this.
  10. Justin McNeill

Justin McNeill Upgraded Member JDBA Official Member

Less than 2 minutes. I miss it Barely

Shawnjohn999999, chutcher and JAM3X like this.
  11. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

That's kinda what I expected...
    Good luck on the next drop

12. Justin McNeill

Justin McNeill Upgraded Member JDBA Official Member

Not really in to BSR to much at the moment
    just looked like a good one to score

JAM3X likes this.
  13. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

I think I feel ya... I thought BRS was just over hyped and over priced until they came out with the Chab and I NEEDED one.

TL;DR
    I like channel balisongs, but I guess there aren't too many options on that front.

(anyone know of any other good Ti channel balisongs around $400, besides the Atmos Demon?) Thinking about aluminum now (Rakken)

After tearing through a bunch of 42/47 type CCCs I begrudgingly decided to give BRS my money lol. It took me years to catch a drop when I had both the time and money. After getting one in my hands I can't go back. Been hoarding ABs for months. Funny how the standard sandwich AB is my least favorite (I still like how it flips tho) and that's the one that put BRS on the map.
    I'm gonna shut up now, I'm kinda "out of it".

Balibuyer and Justin McNeill like this.
  14. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I decided to pass this time around. I already got a Heretic Hydra and MT Cypher this week so funds are long gone.

Based on what I read on the BRS site, that hybrid was just a basic drop. No special limited/pilot run. So I don't feel like I lost out on anything except to say "I got one first."

I'm sure there will be other drops eventually. Just like the channel alpha beast.

That being said - To those of you who did get one: Please post pictures, videos, and comments on what you think about it!

And they sold out in less than 3 minutes. So you got about 1-2 minutes next time.

chutcher, Justin McNeill and JAM3X like this.
  15. Blurred Memories

sum total lasted as long as it took to make a single purchase.

chutcher and JAM3X like this.
  16. Blurred Memories

bhq still has them as coming soon, and i read somewhere they getting theirs in some number of weeks.

JAM3X likes this.
  17. Blurred Memories

i saw a latchless channel AB here @475, and it's different enough from standard chab (more ass heavy but not TOO ass heavy), i'd easily recommend it, even if you have a chab.

closest ones i know of, near that price is the piranha swinger (initial release sucked, not sure of status now) or the marfione tac3, which is more ass biased, but the damn latch and clip handle is so much heavier than the safe handle, i don't really like it.

i would recommend however, even though its more than double your budget, you test drive a monarch, bearing or bushing doesn't matter, just try one, any way you can. you might be willing to sell some of your hoard to get one. monarch so far has my favourite balance of any channel bali i've tried.

the bm 8x line is... well... take the latch off and its "better'.

unfortunately at the moment i don't know of any TI chanel bali with flip characteristics that i like, that are also in your price range. but if you can suffer aluminium, you already mentioned the kraken, and brs has some Aluminium channel barebones in the queue.

i actually really enjoyed the way the TI piranha swinger flipped, and its right at $390 but there was so many other things wrong with it, i'm scared to try again.

i'd be interested in any sub 1k channel ti balis, let alone sub 400!! please people mention more if they exist.

~b

JAM3X and Justin McNeill like this.
  18. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

LOL I guess that's how it goes
    That's alot of useful Information there! Thanks. What else was wrong with the swinger?

I do own a 87 and love the quality and finish, and the Tang pin design is awesome, but it's too fast and heavy for my skill level (I get cut everytime I try to seriously flip it) I still really like flippin it lightly, very satisfying.

I'll check out the swinger for sure and maybe tach3 again (I don't mind a little bit of extra weight on the bite).

I might consider a $1K Bali but definitely not without trying it first, so looks like the Monarch is out of the picture as I have a snowball's chance in hell of holding one lol. I don't know anyone that flips or a place that sells balisongs in or near my state of PA. Maybe next year I'll get tickets (plane and show) to Blade Show, Might actually be worth it.

How bout the Atmos Demon? Made in Russia I believe. I heard they're pretty good especially when considering the sub $300 price!

I have that chab and never flip it cause it's so close to being my Ideal/ dream knife that I want to trade it for a one that IS perfect. By that I mean my personal taste, not cosmetic condition; It has the Alt blade which I'm not a huge fan of (the black acid helps the looks alot IMHO tho). I think with the standard blade, and slightly rounded handles, it would be my personal grail (I would be on a Chab Infinity so fast if BRS made one)

19. Blurred Memories

bladeshow is where i found my first monarch, bought it based on looks and feel, didn't even realize it was pinless till after i bought it.

as for what all was wrong with the swinger, check out the bhq reviews, there's only two, one for the ti and one for the al.

forgot about atropos, i only have one by them, and its a double edged gladius style. actually flips good and is balanced. but overall it has more of a "rustic" garage build kinda feel. yeah its channel, but the bottom ends are weird like pieces were welded in, almost like the hanldes started from a tube rather than solid. one thing i really like about it though is how the handles are full round, only flat spot is on the open side of handles. makes fanning and twisting stuff easier, but also seems to require slightly cleaner movements to keep your momentum in its intended plane.

~b

JAM3X likes this.
  20. JAM3X

JAM3X Little Member

Hmm, Interesting. I looked at the pictures of the Demon a few times but didn't realize or consider the handles are fully round, could be fun. I was also considering a double edge Bali for practice/ discipline,, but would rather get something like that a bit cheaper to see if I even like the concept. I would guess they mill long pieces of round Ti, then cut em into smaller handle size pieces maybe? I get what you mean about the rounded handles, the AB Infinity has alot of rounding going on, I can fan better but yea it needs more speed and precision to keep it from twisting while doing any scissor type stuff.

You lucky sob! I've wanted to go to blade show for years now, but just never had the time to even check the total price, let alone go lol. The Monarch must really be as good as I hear huh?

I'll check out that review right now, thanks for the nfo.

Balibuyer likes this.