1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hybrid Rep Weight Concern?

BlindWatchmaker Dec 10, 2021

1. BlindWatchmaker

BlindWatchmaker Tiny Member

My son has always wanted a BRS Rep, but I've never timed out the drops. BladeHQ has had a few BRS Hybrids lately. I just snagged a green one that I was intending to gift my son for xmas. Wife and I stressed a bit about the differences between the rep and hybrid, but decided to pounce on the opportunity.

I'm a little worried about the weight (5.4 oz). I staged a convo that for flipping, the balance was key, but 4 to 5.5 oz was the good zone. Like any teen, he instantly told me how wrong I was, that 5.5 oz was too heavy.

So, question is... keep the heavy knife, or punt and return the brs and give him the tanto version of the kraken he already has a Bowie version of (which he loves)?

For ref, he has:
    Kraken @ 4.33oz
    Squidtrainer @ 4.6 oz
    Nautilus @ 3.64 oz
    Svix Co gale @ 4.4 oz
    Lucha w/ Fly scales @ ?? oz

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  2. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

Get him a 51. Problem solved. Please don't call him names. It's a hard read.

apdallaround and BlindWatchmaker like this.
  3. BlindWatchmaker

Thanks shawnjohn. The "lil bastard" was intended lovingly. He's a good kid and wouldn't be receiving such a gift if I didnt think the world of him. But context is everything and my playful tone was lost in text. Will update.

Dudeofthedead1334 likes this.
  4. snache

snache Should be a custom title here

You know how kids can be, I would give it to him and return it if he doesn't like it, I would bet he might just like the change. I didn't read your original post but(as a Dad)I can picture your "acting" outraged(but lovingly) at him for his choices, back in my day I would have been ecstatic! But these are different days, not better or worse, just different. Let us know how he reacts.

BlindWatchmaker likes this.
  5. BlindWatchmaker

Thanks for the advice snache! That is likely the direction we will go. I'll post updates as they come. Meanwhile, still interested if anyone has experience flipping with the 5.4 oz hybrid

6. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

I don't know how big your kid is so all of the following is a general statement for an average size teenager...
    - 5.5 is too heavy (seriously too heavy)
    - The ideal weight is 4.2 oz to 4.8
    - BRS Alpha Beast v3 is the best BRS balisong (everything else is more hype than fact)
    - Top production flipper...BM42/43/47
    - His collection sucks (if he disagrees I can prove it sucks)

***Just give the kid $400 and tell him to pick his own balisong (spoiled brat lol)

7. Mastema

Mastema Little Member JDBA Official Member

The hybrids are a bit on the heavy side but they aren't in any way unflipable. I use mine specifically for finger strength drills and to make sure I've really learned a trick (yes it's easier on a lighter blade but that is kinda the point). I'm definitely in the minority but I don't mind a heavier knife, my 29 spends time in the rotation regularly too and it significantly outweighs the hybrid even with channel spacers installed.

As a kid I would have been ecstatic to get a bali, I'd say give him the hybrid and see how he reacts:
    • If he throws a fit return it and give him a bear and son
      • maybe the lesson will teach him not to be an entitled snowflake
    • If he is disappointed but accepts gratefully help him sell/trade it for something he thinks he will like better
      • bonus father son bonding time
    • If he is happy to get it and forms his own judgement about it's weight
      • congrats you've raised a decent human being

*** I may not be the best Dad to take advice from my kid hates me

8. BlindWatchmaker

:wes: Perks of being an only child

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    snache likes this.
  9. BlindWatchmaker

Thanks for the feedback. He is a teen and has a small collection. With each new knife he gets, his perspective grows further. So really all he has to go off of is hype and opinion. I just wish perspective didn't come with a $460 price tag. :faint:

snache likes this.
  10. BlindWatchmaker

Thanks Mastema! You've provided good advice. He isn't a fan of his heavy Lucha, but I think it is mostly due to the sounds from zen pin impact. I'll keep this updated with his assessment and our final action after we give it to him.

snache likes this.
  11. Shawnjohn999999

Prove it sucks. I'm all ears player.

snache likes this.
  12. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Personally, I prefer the hybrid over the g10 version by a long shot. I dismissed the hybrid for quite some time and decided I was not going to get one because everyone was pointing out the weight, mostly from those that had never flipped one. I got to flip one at blade show this year and was blown away. After that I had one in my possession within about two weeks. Absolutely fantastic flipper, extremely well balanced, feels so solid in hand, and does not feel like a 5.5oz bali to me. The AB was my top BRS flipper. Now I am torn. I still cannot determine which I like best since I got the hybrid. Killer bali.

BlindWatchmaker likes this.
  13. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

I am adamant that any collection that doesn't include a BM51 sucks. Here's proof (with date) that I still have my BM51:manganr:.

***Greatest balisong ever

20211211_180022.jpg

14. BlindWatchmaker

Thanks for this perspective chutcher! I'll keep you posted on the outcome. :thankyou3:

chutcher and snache like this.
  15. Shawnjohn999999

All the kids like Squid. Just like your avatar.

BlindWatchmaker, snache and chutcher like this.
  16. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Yeah, no kidding. You should have seen all the kids swarming the Squid booth this year a blade show.

BlindWatchmaker and snache like this.
  17. Jeff Chang

Jeff Chang Tiny Member

Hey, maybe i could be up for an informal adoption and I'll take my big little brothers cast offs! That too heavy 5.5oz sounds nice next to my hom clone which feels like a brick lately. Although that might be other factors also. I think dad here gets props for cool gifts!! Any of the above mentioned would make my Xmas/ holidays/ year.

You want to be the ultimate dad, buy anthony's 43 and send it to me, i mean to my brother

18. BlindWatchmaker

Sound like a plan son! Just remember when dad needs a new kidney, he expects payment in full.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    snache and Jeff Chang like this.
  19. BlindWatchmaker

Would def have been my son. Fanboy for sure

snache likes this.
  20. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

OP will you adopt me? I want these kinds of family problems!