1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

How To Etch?

Leatherface Feb 17, 2009

1. Leatherface

Leatherface leatherface Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hey guys

I have a problem

I need to etch my blades and I dont think I am doing it right

I have some makers mark pro etch and it works really well

but I am not getting an overall good look to the blade

any helpfull tips?

I am simply sticking the blade in the etch for a few seconds and pulling it out if that helps
    D

2. e3ck

e3ck toolmaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Different steels often require different mixtures of etchant solution and soak time. I mostly use steels of 1095/L6/ O-1/ 15n20 in some combination with a solution mix of two part FeCl, one part white viniger and one part water with a soak time of 5 to 10 minutes.Wipe the steel down with some degreesing agent to remove any oils. Spraying the steel with soapy water prior to dipping will help prevent dark spots and streaks if they are an issue. Remove the blade and spray with amonia/water mix or simple windex with amonia will work( Amonia nutrializes the etchant ). Blot the blade dry don't wipe. Hope this helps.

e3

3. Leatherface

thanks bro

so you are not using 100% FeCI?

ok now that makes a bit of sense

I am using 1084 if that helps

Thanks
    D

4. wadeh

wadeh Average member

Yea I would like to know about 1084 also.

5. DomBunn

DomBunn knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Practice on scrap bar stock alot!!!! And once before you do your blade looking for clogs.

Grind the scale off bar to 220 grip is what I test on or old junk hardened blades rejects.

I messed up a few sweet blades with my etch makers mark (why I keep it simple).
    It's one more way to screw a cherry knife at the end of the build. I do it last my bad probably no way to back out then. Db

6. Leatherface

YO Dom
    thanks bro

BTW

who made your makers mark?? I need one of those
    D

7. DomBunn

DomBunn knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I was confused on this post???

I did not know you where looking to etch a harmon

My BAD

8. bubba-san

bubba-san Katanakaji Knife Maker or Craftsman

etching

Hey leather , have you ever tried hot lemon juice . It does a great job it just takes a little longer and it doesn't blacken the whole blade . I have converted a lot of makers. give it a shot and let me know . Bubba the blade on my avatar is a lemon etch

9. Steven Kelly

Steven Kelly knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Here's how I do my 1084 blades.. For a reference of how they turn out, take a look at Iceman's post of the 3 knives he just got from me, in the custom section...

First of all I was told a long time ago, by a pretty well known maker that ferric chloride will, " Bare your soul"!!!!
    That I have found is absolutely the God's Honest Truth.
    Every scratch and flaw will show up on your blade when you etch it. The FC will bite into those areas and you will not be able to hide it..

That said, I hand rub all my blades to a minimum of 1200-2000 grit prior to etch.
    I then mix my FC with distilled water 8 parts water to 1 part FC and make sure the mixture is around 60-70 degrees when I start. This will help give a slower and cleaner etch.
    I then thoroughly clean my blade with windex and let it dry. Being sure that there are no streaks on the blade when I am done. I hold the blade by the tip of the tang so that I don't get any fingerprints on the blade. They will show too!!!!
    I then dip the blade into the FC and just kind of slowly swish it back and forth ( that is a technical term) for about 1 minute. Take the blade out and DO NOT touch it. Spray it down with windex so as to wash off all of the FC.
    I then put the tang into my knife vise, still without having touched the blade. I spray it with some more windex and lightly rub it with 0000 steel wool until the black has all come off.
    I then wipe the blade dry and cover it with a light coating of Flitz. Continue rubbing with the steel wool until the Magic happens and the Hamon pops.
    If I like the way it looks, I cover the blade up with blue painter's tape and build the knife...
    If I don't like the look. I start all over from the beginning...
    Hopefully, when it is all done it will look something like these....

That's the way I do it!!!

Steve

10. e3ck

e3ck toolmaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I'd say it works:thumbsup:

11. Leatherface

thanks guys

Dom Bubba and Steve

You guys so rock

Wish ya guys lived near NC!!

anywho

on etching

it all now makes sense to me

I havent been taking the blades up far enough in grit THEN using the etch

I shall have to try that hot lemon juice idea

OHH

I need some 3/16" x 2 1/4"x anthing over 2ft for some full tang bowies that I wish to mess up

anyone got a line?