1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

How it went down.........

tubtar Oct 5, 2021

1. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Judy , Ben and I got into Newark around 11:30 on Friday night.
    We went straight to the hotel to prepare , as much as that was possible , for the next day.
    Saturday , the first order of business was breakfast.
    Manny's in Clark , N.J. , a place I had met and et with several Devils over the years.
    Then to the LaBella home , where I thought we might be able to chill and spend a little time with Justus.
    Knowing full well just how his having to keep three or four balls in the air at once would make that impossible.
    If you have been down this road , you know that you are being pulled in several different directions at once.
    And there are issues and concerns that have to be tackled , timing be damned.
    But we got to meet family I had not met before , and everyone was utterly gracious and friendly.
    Confirming what I knew going into the deal...................these are good people.
    Multiplying the sense of loss.
    And coming to get abetter understanding of just how big a hole in the fabric of our world Ron's passing was leaving.
    Everyone was getting ready and rushing about , when I was struck with an inspiration.
    Turned out to be a pretty good one.
    First stop , the liquor store.
    I haven't had a drink in over 34 years , but my inner Irishman would not allow the proprieties to be ignored.
    Ben Dibble was my go to for what we needed , and Shiner Bock was on the top of that list.
    And some Amstels , Budweisers and some White Claws. And sodas. And a half dozen O'Douls for me , and anyone else who doesn't imbibe.
    So yeah..............for me. :bwah::bwah::bwah:
    Then , to WalMart for a suitable vessel for cooling and containing.
    Cooler that might be ( but probably isn't ) big enough................27.00
    Plastic tote that is plenty big , and I won't give a fuck about leaving behind ?
    It was in the N.E. corner of the parking lot of the Double Tree , Newark airport hotel and hootenanny center that last I saw it on Sunday morning.
    But it was perfect for our mission.
    We loaded it up with beverages and ice , then proceeded to the funeral home to say goodbye.
    Seeing the many pictures and displays for Ron was touching.................some hilarious , some sweet and a couple obligatory " Huh ? " shots.
    I had never seen Ron without some level of beard or facial hair , prompting more than one double take.
    I thought his beard was filled in by around 2nd. grade.
    Not so.
    But I have been to too many of these affairs , and some for close family members.
    I paid my respects to Marie first , then to the urn , then to Ron sr. and got out of there before I started hyperventilating.
    I announced to a couple fellers that the bar was open , and we adjourned to the parking lot , where the trunk of our rental car became the focal point.
    The crowd grew and shrank according to the flow past the memorial , but there was a pretty constant fifteen or so people hanging around.
    Getting reacquainted , meeting for the first time or settling in with friends , the group became a living breathing entity , united in our love for Ron................and the mandatory ball busting that goes with it.
    Stories flew for the rest of the night.
    There were occasional lapses into current events..........how's the family , the new house , the job etc.
    Always returning to Ron stories.
    When the last of the people left the funeral home , we headed to The Station to keep the ball rolling until the dinner , later at the Knights of Columbus hall in Cranford.
    One powerful take away from the evening...........just what a beautiful thing Ron created.
    Many were there , some were not.
    But this core of crazy fucks were united by a tow truck driver from Cranford.
    And it formed a literal brotherhood.
    People I would never have met otherwise , who are great friends to this day and beyond.
    Jimmy Mac , sandwich , Tony 8179 , Mag 1 , Patrick , Exit 14A , seeing you guys again was the perfect remedy for the blues.
    We were sitting outside the K of C hall and Silent Jay was telling a Ron story.
    I immediately flashed back to an evening at a Grind In , where Ron and Tony were chronicling the attributes of the New Jersey Guido.
    For at least five minutes , starting with the IROC Z-28 with T tops , and working through the complete profile like they were working for the FBI.................their hair , their clothes , their music , their girl friends , their attitudes.
    I was laughing so hard that I was gasping for air.
    And Jay recreated that moment , with a different story entirely , but told with the same enthusiasm and accent.
    Everyone I encountered , it was obvious why you were friends with Ron.
    And he , with you.
    I like to think that Ron would have approved of our shenanigans , and had he been there would have made it even funnier.
    He loved to laugh , and to make others laugh.
    As the night wound down and we made our way back to the hotel , I was..........and still am struggling with the fact.
    Something Natalie wrote resonated with me and helped me gain some perspective on my feelings and how to come to grips with the truth here.
    Ron wasn't there , but he sure as fuck was.
    In his family , his friends and the stories we shared.
    In our hearts.
    He is alive.
    And he ain't goin nowhere.......... trunk II.jpg trunk VI.jpg trunk VII.jpg

Attached Files:

Tony8179, GEEZER, El Gringo and 23 others like this.
  2. Manganr

Manganr Devils Supermoderator Super Moderator

Looks like it went down in the finest form John. Just what he would have wanted. A sprinkle of sadness vastly outweighed by the laughs and the beer.....and whatever it was you were drinking :manganr: :manganr: :manganr:
    I'm thinking you devil's did him proud and I for one applaud :clap: you all for your efforts. Catch up with you all as soon is they let us foreigners in. :manganr:

3. thevinstigator

thevinstigator JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Perfect words, Sorry I couldn’t join you guys but was there in spirit. Thanks Ron for keeping us all laughing and sane….

markandrex, tubtar, Rio and 2 others like this.
  4. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

I too, am sorry that I couldn't be there. It seems that an "appropriate" time was had by all.

Damn I miss that short fucker....

snache, markandrex, tubtar and 2 others like this.
  5. hamburger

hamburger Super Deluxe Double Cheeseburger Knife Maker or Craftsman

... and i joined the JD for the air care tips

markandrex, tubtar and Rio like this.
  6. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Thank you for sharing this John, after reading your post and looking at the pictures I felted I was there in spirit with everyone, safe travels Ron and give all the devils waiting for you a hug from us.

markandrex and tubtar like this.
  7. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

:bwah::bwah::bwah::bwah::bwah::bwah::bwah: You too ?

markandrex likes this.
  8. Manganr

Manganr Devils Supermoderator Super Moderator

Looking at the pics John,... I'm not sure you did... :manganr:

markandrex and tubtar like this.
  9. Dudeofthedead1334

Dudeofthedead1334 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

It was an honor to join all you great devils and pay tribute to Ron. I was sad to sit in the station at the same spot Ron welcomed me in to the community I care so deeply for, but the wings, the shiner, the blades, the respect, the ball busting, and the love were all there and present for the ride thanks to The Boss. I know I'll see many of your faces again at a meetup soon carrying on that legacy.

10. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

Perfection, John.

tubtar, Rio, Manganr and 1 other person like this.