1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

How I like to sharpen knives...

J. Neilson Aug 14, 2007

1. Cthulhu

Cthulhu Aldebaran

You make it look so easy. The JD knife makers kick ass! Could you use a sander like that for doing stock removal also, or do you need a bigger size belt?

2. demkoknives

demkoknives knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

cool video J, but I think you may need a camera man though

3. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

:fixed:

Also, WE approve of the logo shots, switched angles of it as well! J kicks ass!:firedevil

4. J. Neilson

J. Neilson Caught in the Mosh Knife Maker or Craftsman

Bill's on the money there. Thanks for adding that bud. That's what I use to strop knives "in the field". Another point about the high carbon knives is that most people have a tendency to over-sharpen HC knives. Most times all they need is a good stropping to bring the knife back up to a razor edge. Over-sharpening just wastes your knife steel.

Cthulhu- My first grinder was a 1x30 from Harbor Freight and I used that for a year before moving up to a Grizzly 2x72 which I then used for 4 years making and selling knives. David Farmers thread is a good example of it not just being the tools but, the maker and their desire.

Andy, I think your right. :jdwink2:

ps-Thanks Ron!!!

5. Rcbalt2

Rcbalt2 Enormous member

Great tips J keep them coming.

6. The General

The General The Devil's General Brigade Member

I'm just teasing you J!

Carbon steel knives seem to respond really well to a strop with something like Flitz and cardboard. Then again I find even blades with S30V stainless super steel do as well.:jdwink2:

I am convinced its the true secret to keeping a knife sharp for far longer as well as giving a brilliant finish to an edge.

7. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

That was a great video. I always wondered what it looked like when you press the blade into the belt. While the write ups have been good, this takes it to a new level. Thanks very much.

8. Soup_Monger

Soup_Monger Should be a custom title here

Great vids J.... lots of helpful info.

Are you using the full flat to convex on all your knives?

I wish those grinders were available in the UK.... simple and effective.

Thanks. :)

9. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Enormous member

I have a wonderful palmgren 1-2x42" belt sander/grinder, BUT!... The slack/tension pulley will not keep my leather nor felt belts tight enough! :jduh:

It looks like yours has quite a bit of "spring" to it and a locking function that I REALLY like! What make/model is that?!... And does it fit into a "hobbist's" budget???...

Thanks for the video! :thefinger

10. J. Neilson

J. Neilson Caught in the Mosh Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thanks guys.

Soup- I always flat grind with a convex edge (the degree of each depending on the purpose and users preference) unless it's a big chopper. Then I normally do a full convex but, I still keep it "flatter" than a slack grind. I don't like a knife with an egg shaped profile. My full convexes are done on a rotary platen so it's a pretty stiff grind still.

HorizonSon- can you put a new spring in that machine? The tool in the vid is a Baldor 1" x 42". I don't know the model number (I've had the machine for a long time now) but, most knife catalogs have them. On a hobbyist's budget I'd get one from Grizzly. Something like this... http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1013

11. Soup_Monger

Soup_Monger Should be a custom title here

Ah .... understood.

I don't care for the egg shaped profiles either.

Thanks again. :)

12. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Enormous member

My Palmgren 81061 is great! It allows for both 1 or 2 inch belts by 42 inches!...

...HOWEVER!...

I can't get a leather belt nor a felt belt to stay under enough tension! :cry:

The tension pulley wont "extend" far enough to facilitate the "streching" action that occurs with said belts... :ropeman:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See, it's NOT the "tension" on the belt, but rather the allowed "travel"... I have no more room, lol... SUCKS!!!

13. okbohn

okbohn knives ship free Knife Maker or Craftsman

I need to get a belt sander--after I went to the grind in, I was ready to come home and sharpen everything I own--from knives to crayons.

14. reconmarine

reconmarine Berserker

Road trip

When??????

15. Mr.LaBella

Alriiight, J is on my couch now. The Hollow came to Devil Central :bow:

16. Captain Ron

Captain Ron Little member

I think the sander is 1 X 42" 1/3HP 1PH KALAMAZOO BELT SANDER not that expensive about 200 dollars :ross:

17. Mr.LaBella

:welcome: to THE forums Captain Ron!

I am Ron, too. At least I think I am...where is my ID? :decoder:

:cheers:

18. juiceman

juiceman Knows more about computers than you

sharp

good vid and post thanks

19. Pmlknives

Pmlknives knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

good video thanks for the tips

Paul

20. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

Great vid, persuaded me to buy a grinder and have a go myself. A 600 grit convexed edge is ideal for my field knives. Leather is on its way then I will start on the shinies.