1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

How does one Double-Dye & Double-Stabilize wood scales?

excoastie Aug 27, 2013

1. Meridian Blades

Meridian Blades Got Wood? Knife Maker or Craftsman

Here is a closer shot........of mine

[​IMG]

2. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

Larry,

I think You and John G sold all the wood you brought to the grind-In Right ?

I know i bought all of John's and I think Lon bought all of Yours.

3. Meridian Blades

Hey Mike,
    Yep Lon bought the box from me... It was more traditional looking clear stabilized stuff like redwood burl, black ash burl, maple burl, etc.

4. nocheese4u

nocheese4u Notch'yo' cheese! JDBA Official Member

I never thought I would get so much pleasure from looking at other guys wood! Great stuff!

5. excoastie

excoastie Little member

M-Blades, is that Box Elder Burl? It sure is sweet! I have a bit of trouble finding pieces of Box Elder with a bunch of eyes in it. I currently get most of my blocks on E-Bay. Do you have a source that you use> If so, please educate this novice!

6. Meridian Blades

I harvested this stuff myself locally....... I would look around where you live and see if people have any. Believe box elder is pretty common,,,,,,,,, pure white with eyes is harder to find. The bugs are everywhere it seems so the trees cant be far off...

7. Meridian Blades

8. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

Larry,

Nice Stuff.

It should sell right away.

9. Precision Plus

Precision Plus Genius Knife Maker or Craftsman

I have never tried this and probably never "wood" but just a thought is trying different pressures for multiple dyes. Or trying vacuum for one and pressure for the other?

10. excoastie

excoastie Little member

I have been working on figuring out how to double-dye and double-stabilize wood scales. I decided to use Buckeye Burl wood scales because I understand how it takes up the dye and acrylic liquid. I also decided on using blue and red because I had a lot of dyed acrylic liquid on the shelf.

This is what I got after four tries. The first three attempts were pretty bad. These are useable but I think I can get them better. If anyone is interested I will post the process here or send a PM if you’d rather have it that way.

[​IMG]

11. Bill T

Bill T Snatch Boogie Knife Maker or Craftsman

They don't look all that bad. They might look good on some kitchen knives.

Post it for all to see.

Better yet, start a new thread and make a WIP .. (work in progress)

This is some informative stuff right here.

12. hienho

hienho Monolithic Baby! Brigade Member

Yeah agreed. Post a new WIP thread. I'd like to hear it. Or "read" it even. :manganr:

Good lookin' scales BTW!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  13. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

Agreed, everyone loves a good WIP!

14. Shawn Hatcher

Shawn Hatcher knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Well done! I'm very interested in the process . . . :thumbsup:

15. excoastie

excoastie Little member

So here is the process. Please remember things will change a lot with the different types of wood used, the acrylic liquid used and the concentration of the dye. Lean heavy on the dye when in doubt.

Double-Dyed, Double-Stabilized

Select the wood to be used. I recommend using wood whose characteristics you understand.
    Select the dyed acrylic liquids to be used.
    Sand that wood’s surfaces for smoothness.
    Put the scales into you vacuum chamber as usual.
    Using the lighter shade of stabilizing fluid first, cover the wood with the liquid as you usually do. You might need to go a little dark on the dye.
    Start vacuum.
    Keep a CLOSE watch on the bubbles.
    Before the bubbles slow down, reduce the vacuum.
    You will need to change the timing depending upon the wood used.
    Remove the scale.
    Process the scales as usual (Dry, wrap in aluminum foil, etc)
    Bake @ 300 degrees for an hour (times and temps change with wood). Let cool
    Remove scales from the foil.
    Sand all six surfaces of the scales again. Make sure to remove all excess acrylic or second dye will not take.
    Wipe scales down with water to remove all dust.
    Put the scales back in the vacuum chamber.
    Cover the wood with the second (darker) liquid as you usually do in a single batch. You might need to go a little dark on the dye.
    Start vacuum as usual.
    Let the vacuum run until all bubbles are gone. You are finishing the stabilization process.
    Remove the scales when done and do the cleaning, drying and aluminum foil wrapping routine.
    Bake again for an hour @ 300 degrees.
    Re-sand until all dried acrylic is gone.
    Clean off all dust.
    You should be done!

Things change with the wood type and dye concentrate. Start with an easier wood to stabilize and that has a lot of character like Buckeye Burl. Also, you dying time and temperature will change. It is important to sand all the dried acrylic off after every step. Failing to do so will lead to improper stabilization and the dye will not take. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

TJ

pad2 likes this.
  16. RerumNovarum

RerumNovarum Little member

excoastie, I sent you a message on this post with a bunch of questions.

17. RerumNovarum

RerumNovarum Little member

excoastie,

in the first dying, do I run the lower vacuum pressure until the bubbles stop completely? Do I then let the wood soak as I do with a single dying process?

18. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

just so you know:

Last Activity: 10-18-2014, 08:50 AM