1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

How does one Double-Dye & Double-Stabilize wood scales?

excoastie Aug 27, 2013

1. excoastie

excoastie Little member

Hello gang, I am a new guy here and hope this is where I should post my ‘How to” question. So…

I have dyed and stabilized my own scales for well over one year. I have had some successes and many failures but I have it down well now. But I see other guys doing what they call “Double-Dyed, Double-Stabilized”. I like the way their work comes out and want to do it myself.

So, how does one double-dyed, double-stabilize wood scales? One guy told me that there is a ‘secret’ that must be done to insure the process works but he refused to divulge his little secret. So, please help me out gang.

2. excoastie

excoastie Little member

Thank you for moving this to where it belongs. No help from anyone? Does anyone dye and stabilize their own scales?

3. Chris Daigle

Chris Daigle Half fast

Sorry I can't be of help, but like you, I like the look of certain double dye jobs. My guess is that it would have to do with the densities of certain woods? The denser part picks up one color and the softer, the other. You never seem to see a wood of a uniform density with two colors.

4. excoastie

excoastie Little member

I have been using a lot of Buckeye Burl, Box Elder Burl, Flame Elder, Spalted Maple and Spalted Hackberry and the wood’s outcome seems predicable for those woods. Elm still has me confused, though. Sometimes it takes the acrylic and other times it does not. I think I need a better quality vacuum chamber for elm.

I am going to try use some buckeye burl and dye/stabilize the lighter color for ten minutes. Then I will bake it for the normal time and sand the extra acrylic off of the wood. Then I will put it back in the chamber and dye/stabilize it with thee darker color and see how it comes out. Hopefully that will do it but if not, I’ll try again.

5. Meridian Blades

Meridian Blades Got Wood? Knife Maker or Craftsman

One sends his wood to Mike Ludemann at WSSI and has him professionally stabilize it for him, or K/G. Mike does double dye extremely well.

IMO....There is limited success and much disappointment to be had for trying to use a vac chamber to do your own. Vac might work with really soft woods... but to do it right you need pressure, and lots of it.

Here is an excerpt from K/G's website in AZ....

"K & G’s process is done under pressure up to 4000lbs. This ensures full penetration of your wood/material. After your wood/material has been impregnated it will be cured for at least 20 hours."

6. excoastie

excoastie Little member

Meridian, thank you for the referral. It sounds like he does an excellent job. I don’t have a strong enough vacuum chamber to properly stabilize the harder woods. But I am very happy with my results in the woods. I also like the challenge of doing it myself. I have ‘ruined’ a lot of wood to get my process. But, if I want to use a harder wood I will certainly send it to K&G.

7. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

I can't help on How it is done.

I use a lot of fancy Colored and Stabilized woods and there are a number of people that we get them from.

Here is one lot that was pulled for a few days use.

[​IMG]

I don't have the time to do it ourselves - we are much too busy making knives.

I usually have about $50,000.00 in wood in stock at all times.

Mike

8. Bill T

Bill T Snatch Boogie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Wow... I mean really!? What can you say??

9. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

That Mike's got "Wood" :ross:

10. Shawn Hatcher

Shawn Hatcher knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

That's a damned cool photo. Love all of the colors. I've wondered myself how they double/triple/quadruple dye stuff. I've been using Faron Moore for dyeing and stabilizing and he does a great job.

11. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

Shawn,

That entire pile came from Mike at Wood Labs.

The guy thinks outside the box on this stuff and we get some pretty interesting color combos.

12. excoastie

excoastie Little member

Damn Mike, that is a lot of wood! Most of it looks like it is dyed and stabilized using only one color. $50,000 worth of wood is amazing! I can achieve a lot of those colors but I can’t do it with the very hard woods.

I will clearly stabilized heavily spalted maple, hackberry and pecan because they look sweet with or without dye. I like to dye woods that have a lot of eyes in them because the dye accentuates the depth of the colors. But double dying still escapes me. I just bought a bunch of wood that I plan to use to figure out the process. And when I figure it out I will not keep it a secret.

13. Meridian Blades

Some of my last batch of DD black and red box elder... from Mike at WSSI. :manganr: Some of it not just for blades.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
  14. dragoncutlery

dragoncutlery knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

ive played with it but haven't cracked the code yet but then im also looking for a good black and a good red dye

15. Meridian Blades

Transtint....

16. excoastie

excoastie Little member

Wow, that Box Elder looks awesome. The eyes really give the wood a beautiful depth to it. Finding Box Elder of that quality is difficult but it sure finishes well.

17. excoastie

excoastie Little member

Still no help with the double-dye. I wonder why this process is such a damned secret!

Here are a couple of piece that I have stabilized. The red is spalted maple and the other is Flame Elder. As you can see, wood takes up different dye differently. The Flame Elder came out very nicely. It looks like I did a double-dye, double-stabilized but that was only using a black acrylic.

[​IMG]

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o662/excoastie1/IMG_2164_zps6b997b1d.jpg

Shawn Hatcher likes this.
  18. excoastie

excoastie Little member

19. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

wow that is amazing wood

no homo :owl:

20. Dutchtracker

Dutchtracker Down For Life Brigade Member

It came out Beautiful.:thumbsup: