1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

How do you pick a Custom Maker?

Jax718 Dec 7, 2010

1. Jax718

Jax718 Little member

I have been looking at alot of customs lately and have saw a bunch I like and some not so much. I have limited experience with customs due to the fact none of the shops close to me carry any. I have owned a RJ Martin and a Kirby Lambert before but that's the only customs I have experience with. I would like to get into customs a little more and start purchasing a few, but how do you know what kind of quality you are getting if there isn't a way to see the knife before you buy it. With that said I am asking for some recommendations from you guys of some quality makers. Makers you have experience with and wouldn't hesitate to buy without having to see it in person first. Feel free to send me a PM if you would rather discuss in private also. Thanks Guys

2. Les Robertson

Les Robertson Guru of Steel Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hi Jax,

First, I would suggest you list your parameters of what you are looking for in a custom knife. To include price range.

Second, understand that most of what you will get here will be a member's favorite maker. So be sure to ask them what their background is with regards to custom knives.

Third, there are lots of advanced collectors here so you should be able to get a lot of answers to your questions.

The more questions you ask...the more money you will save.

3. Pmlknives

Pmlknives knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Have you looked for local knife shows? Even if makers aren't local a dealer will have a nice selection. Unless it's stabber, then he'll just have Siska's:madaddy:
    Paul

Oh and try to get in on a passaround..

4. Jax718

Jax718 Little member

Parameters: First let's talk about price, on the higher end I would be willing to spend around $1,000 or so but would prefer to stay around $500 give or take a few bills. Materials and craftsmanship are my main concerns. I prefer 3-4 inch folders with thumb studs or similar. I like my blades to be sharp and designed for efficient cutting. If a knife can be tough as a tank and still cut like a champion that's great but I want a knife to be a knife first and foremost. I like smooth lines and perfectly centered blades, I don't like a bunch of crazy grinds that don't serve a purpose other than looks. I like a knife that feels smooth as glass when opening and locks up tight. I like a nice wood, micarta, or carbon handle slabs but nothin too over the top. If you guys are familiar with Ed Brown 1911's I'm looking for the equivalent in knives, Classy style with flawless function.

5. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Now, honestly.. Why would *someone* pay ALL of this money for an internet discussion forum (software, licenses, upgrades, installs, photo hosting and gallery software, server fees and custom 'skin' fees) to have people send Private Messages?

:faint:

Carry on. :moping: :ssad: :deadevil:

6. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

Zactly

dis is da intanet yall :D

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  7. Jax718

Jax718 Little member

True True, Forgive Me what was I thinking?? So let's hear what you knowledgable Devils have to teach me about customs. Enlighten me with your knowledge!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
  8. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Just checked out my 'handy-dandy' knife inventory system. Seems I've dealt with over a dozen custom knifemakers over the years and ordered more than one knife from most of them... never had a problem and if I was not retired, i'd be ordering more! [​IMG] Several of the makers have built me a knife from 'scratch' and have posted or e-mailed me 'work in progress' reports which were very informative. For the most part they posted their work on the knife forums I visited. The JD has a magnificent group of knifemakers in the The Devil's Own Forum. All the best in your search for those prized custom knives. [​IMG]

9. bigbob68

bigbob68 non poseur

An "Ed Brown" of knives? That is a REALLY tough one. I know what you are saying but just too many fine Makers & designs to choose from. This is why I have an equal gun to knife ratio. $2K on an Ed Brown 1911 is easy but I could get 2 to 4 very nice knives for the same amount of scratch.

10. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Off the reservation

Check out Robertson Custom Cutlery..... some good stuff there and Les does a range of styles from Bowies to tactical folders so you get a nice spread of options.

Service is pretty decent too. :devil1:

11. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

I am learning all the time in this deal..........one thing that I recently picked up is simple.
    And related to what Les was saying.
    No coincidence that I learned it from him then.:bwah:
    Do you want the knife to keep and use , or do you have any expectations of getting your money back at any point ?
    There are a lot of custom makers who make very nice knives in the price range you are suggesting.
    And some of those will appreciate in time if you don't fuck the knife up.
    There are some that will be worth 450.00 as soon as you put your wallet back in your pocket after spending 600.00 on it.
    And this doesn't mean you bought a lemon.........it could very well be a well made knife that will last for ever and perform flawlessly.
    Conversely , there are knives you pay 600.00 for and can turn around and get 800.00 for from the guy standing behind you.
    This is the absolute - no bullshit - truth.
    I can't quite explain it...........but some makers have that following and reputation which drives the price of their knives bat shit on the secondary market.
    And also explains why you will wait a year or more to get one of their pieces directly from them.
    I tend to buy what I find visually appealing.........fit , finish and quality of materials.........followed closely by a maker I admire or who's knives register with me visually.
    Since most of them will never cut anything , performance is secondary..........though it is virtually a given with a quality knife.
    And you can also buy a real hunk of shit for 600.00..........but it may also be someone's holy grail , so this points out just how subjective and personal picking out a knife is.
    At the end of the day........what do you like ?
    That simple.