1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

How do I price shipping when I sell?

cadjak Aug 14, 2020

1. cadjak

cadjak Average member

I am going to be selling off some of my knives. It's been years since I sold any, so it's time. The one thing I can't figure out is how to compute the cost of shipping. I want to ship with tracking and if a buyer wants insurance, I guess the buyer can add some $$. I need help from some of you that have more experience selling here. Thanks.

2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I would just add 10 bucks to your selling price, include shipping and insurance (because if it doesnt show up, its on you)... but you can state that shipping is negotiable.

3. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Rough estimate? Small box priority shipping without insurance is something like 8 to 9 bucks and with $500 insurance is like around 14-15. I just guesstimate it and include it in the total price. However, it is your property and you can ask whatever you want for it.

4. Stephen Cortez

Stephen Cortez Tiny Member

USPS has a flat rate small box that can typically house a Benchmade or Microtech standard box. It costs $8.30 and includes up to $50 of insurance and will ship anywhere ConUS for that price. Today 8/14/2020 I shipped something and added $200 of insurance and it added $4.70 to my total. All insured items going through USPS Priority will get you a tracking number. Fedex and UPS bases their rates on weight and speed of delivery. I had what feels like a 5LB pound box deliver to me through fedex ground (went out last Saturday>>Monday because it was not a business day, and arrived today Friday) and I think the cost was about $22. Quotes for 2 day shipping express on the same package were around $60. Hope this helps. Best of luck with your sales!

apdallaround likes this.
  5. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Side note... In actuality, and most do not realize this, under common law in the US it is actually the seller's responsibility to ensure a product is delivered to a buyer after funds are transferred, regardless if there is insurance or not. If the seller chooses to handoff the product to a 3rd party for delivery, i.e. usps, instead of delivering the product themselves, it is still the seller's responsibility to ensure the product is delivered to the buyer to finalize the transaction. If the product is not delivered then the transaction is not finalized and a refund must be issued by the seller. That is why I always ship insured.

If you do not ship insured and it is lost/damaged in transit then the buyer could get a lawyer, sue you, and most likely win. Ultimately, it will probably cost them a lot more than what it is worth and most likely not happen, but it could.

If the 3rd party shipper records the product is delivered and it is stolen off the buyer's front porch then it is the buyer's responsibility.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  6. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

And this is how we work here. You ship uninsured, you(the seller) are on the hook on this forum. Its also why we dont allow western union and venmo. We want sellers here that are BEYOND reproach, and buyers to feel like they dont have to worry when they spend there cash here. And we (the forum) do this for free. Which is why I feel ok being an asshole to people that dont follow the rules.