1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

How did you get into balisong?

TheBombGamerTag Apr 26, 2012

1. KnifeAddicc

KnifeAddicc Average member

Lolz, i saw the vid on assistedknives.com and bought right away a kimura, that was 3-4 months ago and ive been flipping since then

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster Average member

I have reason to believe that your tale is embellished.

OT: Bought a blue, kriss CCC when I was 14 at a gun show. A few months later I realized it was a complete piece of shit and bought a better bali. I would casually flip it from time to time.
    One summer I decided I wanted to learn cool tricks so I leaned a few simple ones every day until I got the fundamentals down. I slowly but surely worked my way up to more difficult things. The rest is history.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012
  3. shogun3hibachi

shogun3hibachi Huge member

My dad gave me my first one wen I was seven it was a fhm. My grandpa was from batangas Philippines and it ran in the fam. They don't flip as much but the can us em thou I didn't start flipping till middle school

4. Bladejunkie

Bladejunkie Huge member

[video=youtube;ZrmoHFuHpvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrmoHFuHpvA[/video]

5. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Soooo you smoked crack with that dude and he lent you a knife to play around with?:bwah:

6. Uz4u

Uz4u Misanthrope

actually it was crank, first bali video I saw too. and his cheap pos ccc broke on me

7. vileperson

vileperson Enormous member

I remember that kit. They had it on a rack at the Circle K down the street from my childhood house when I was like 5. I never could convince my mom to buy me one, though.

I ended buying a real one at a flea market a few years later, with allowance money.

I was wondering if I was the only person that remembered that ninja kit.

8. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

no you are not ....

9. Blip Noir

Blip Noir JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

It took a while for me to go from "interested" to what I'd call "obsessed" nowadays. What sparked my initial curiosity were old movies like The Outsiders and Blood In, Blood Out. I loved the tricks and the elegance of its opening. Then, like a lot of newbies, Kick-Ass probably sealed the deal.

Finally, about a year and a half ago a friend of mine sold me this junker for 20 bucks after hearing that I was looking for a balisong. It was missing a tang pin and the pivots were garbage, but my dad actually managed to fix it up for me. What a swell guy, eh?

[​IMG]

Now the junker has been joined by a whole slew of balis. And I don't think I'll be slowing down any time soon. I'd love to get my hands on a number of 'em, like a Benchmade model 42, Spyderco Szabofly, Microtech Tachyon II and, if dreams ever come true, a Cold Steel Arc Angel. If I ever managed to get all those my collection would be complete in my eyes.

[​IMG]

10. Flip Tripper

Flip Tripper Huge member JDBA Official Member

The Balisong was a common thing growing up, it was always around, someone was either flippin it:helix:or killing an animal with it, or practicing some knife fighting techniques, or stabbing somebody:stab2:, or getting stabbed!:bwah: It's in my blood so i've always been into it!

11. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

The movie American Ninja back in the 80s!! :manganr:

12. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I quit smoking cigarettes so to ease the craving I picked up a crappy Bali and started flipping. I always loved knives but now it seems I broke one habit for another. Also started collecting more knives. So much for all that money I saved quitting smoking.

13. crosscuttlery

crosscuttlery Enormous member

It was when I watched 3 ninjas, then I got Into flipping a few years later.

14. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

...i think i saw a movie some guy used a balisong as a throwing knife to kill some Bedouins in some God forsaken desert, that`s when i bought my first BM... crappy throwing knife if you ask me...
    oh wait a minute....i bought my first one in Kmart in `86-87 ..BMs came long after that ....early `90s

15. Quigin

Quigin Little member

I think the very first time I saw a Balisong was either "The Outsiders" or "The Goonies". "The Goonies" by far has the worst Balisong opening ever, but I noticed how magnificent the Balisong is despite it. At the time, Balisongs were just known as a butterfly knives to me :devilroll:

16. HotSwat

HotSwat Huge member

It really all started with my duncan yo-yo and the Sumthers Bros Yo-Yo man skits. I grew out out of yo-yos and bought a balisong.

I spent $10 on a balisong and $12 on Jeff Imada's book back in the '80s.

Then I got into Spydercos. After that, Benchmades. I would flip my Skirmish open and closed whenever I was bored. With a small but respectable collection of Benchmades; and a habit of flipping open and close, I felt I was missing something by not having a "Bali-song". Then came my Kimura quickly followed by my BM51.

Now I feel that if you love knives, you own it to yourself to own and flip a balisong.

17. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

damn I loved the yo yo man

18. Wolfgur

Wolfgur Average member

Balisongs were implanted in my mind from a movie a really long time ago where the bad guy flipped it around for a bit before fighting. About four months ago I saw a CCC in a sword shop, and I bought it. It was a lot of fun to flip around for the week I had it(it broke, no idea why...:ross:). Then I got a 51... And now I have a basilisk.

19. feenxfire

feenxfire JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Do you remember which movie it was?

I remember seeing a balisong in a movie a LOOOONG time ago and can't remember what it's called. I believe it was one of those 3 Ninjas Kick Back movies but, I can't find the scene if it was. Bad guy flips the knife around and then stabs it in the table in between one of the ninja's hands. I can still recall the scene in my mind but cannot find it now for the life of me!

20. Wolfgur

Wolfgur Average member

Not a clue I'm afraid, I don't think it had any ninjas in it though. My menory of it is really foggy :bwah: