1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

How did you get into balisong?

TheBombGamerTag Apr 26, 2012

1. Boomaga

Boomaga Huge member

beat me to it.

I was chillin with some dude who had one and he taught me the double rollout.

I got a CCC on my 19th from one of those cheapo chinese knife stores you find in the malls.

I eventually crossed Cutlery Lover's channel and saw his quality vs crap video and saw the same knife that i was flipping get twisted in half by Jeff.

Since then my collection has grown quite well and I really got into flipping when i participated in challenges/FATOC at the Arena.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  2. sirhorsechoker

sirhorsechoker cheapskate balifag fliptard

I bought a ccc rostfrei at a fleamarket when I was about 10. after using various cheapos as tools for years I decided they suited my purposes better than thumbers, which I tend to find too short or too wide. later on YouTube became a thing. then I learned the word "balisong" from people like xcapeartist, larzi13 and cutlerylover. also learned that they were more than tools. zenghost had a nice website that was very helpful back then also. he taught a combo called "the ferris wheel". easy combos, that the rest of us could try, very helpful stuff... CL and ZG convinced me to buy a 42, literally moments before production ended and things got out of hand. I don't think I've went a single day without flipping since...

3. RazorSharp

RazorSharp RZRSHRPDVL Brigade Member

First saw one when the movie "The Big Brawl" AKA "Battle Creek Brawl" came out and went to it with my Dad, was interested in them from that moment and never stopped trying to get my hands on one until I did.

4. papercut

papercut KILLACANE JDBA Official Member

Ron? Ron Burgundy?? Is that reaaly you????

5. super deluxe

super deluxe Average member

There was a souvenir store in a nearby town that always carried interesting knives. One day I went in to look at them and they had just got in a couple of Gutmann Cutlery FHM bali-song knives in the little wood boxes. They let me play with one for a little while and I was hooked. I was only like 12 or 13 at the time and didn't have the money so I went home and sold some stuff to buddies, saved a little and went back and bought it when I had the money. I traded it off at a gun show years later. I wish I still had it. I did manage to keep the Benchmade 259 that I bought new in late 1987.

6. dprocter

dprocter Average member

Just loved knives forever, got hooked on them from hunting with my grandpa, after stumbling across YouTube channels I learned what a balisong was and thought they were totally badass, soon finding out I could not get one in Canada, but I found a website that I got my 51 off of and have been flipping it ever since. Now the hunt for a 42 is on!

7. feenxfire

feenxfire JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

When I came out of my father's womb, I was already flipping.

I don't really remember "starting."

8. lumsify

lumsify Huge member

found one at a flea market and couldnt put it down:manganr:

9. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Bought a dragon design plastic handle switchblade comb when I was a kid. Took out the comb and replaced it with a blade. A few years later I realized any can push a button...but only a few can flip. I wanted to be part of the few.

10. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

Found a website with a bunch of crazy fucksticks who like knives. Thought I'd join in on the shenanigans. :ropeman:

11. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

"Kick Ass" the Movie.:devilfinger:

Big Trouble in Little China brought on the curiosity.

Seriously, though, I was a kid in the 80s when they were popular. My father bought me one and he taught me how to flip it. I wish I still had it. All throughout high school and college/medical school, I looked at one in the case. It was a Benchmade SS Weehawk. Always wanted one. Never could afford one (at $110). 4th year in med school I bought one. That night I thought there are more things I need than this. I returned it the next day, :(. 10 Years later, at a gun store, I see one for sale for $200. Titanium 42, SL. Then i met DaBird. He turned me to the JD. I was like a kid in a candy store but balisongs were my candy. Well, the rest you can say, became an obsession. Reliving my childhood, I bought every knife I could get my hands on.

12. InfinityShade

InfinityShade Level: True Devil

and so once opon a time a girl told me, when i do flips it makes her squirm because she knows im good with my hands lol

13. InfinityShade

InfinityShade Level: True Devil

When i was 15 i had one pulled on me. Scared the hell out of me. I never knew what the knife was or what it was called, just that i was ready to piss myself because i'd never seen something so fast beautiful and deadly. Last year a friend gave me one and i've been learning as many flips and i can and making up a few of my own. I now have a twist but i hope to get a better bali soon.

14. TheBombGamerTag

TheBombGamerTag BrokenBlades

I really wish I got into balisongs two years earlier. Id probably own a nice 43 then.

15. purpledc

purpledc purple or blue, depends on the strength of your gr Brigade Member

I got into balisongs because of the movies. I think the first movie I saw one in was Karate Kid Part II or Big trouble in little china. I had all ready been into knives and loved switchblades. It was a few years later that I got some of my own. I went to a gun show with my uncle with $200 and I came home with a BM45 and a 259. I really really miss the 45. Nostalgia. Never thought it would effect me.

16. bali-fan

bali-fan Huge member

From movies in the 80s. I bought my first junk one at a gun show when I was a teen. I took a break for awhile and recently I'm getting back into it.

17. worthless

worthless worthless? Nah!

In the movies, the guy with the balisong was always the badass you didn't wanna fuck with. I always wanted a butterfly as a kid, but I lived in California where they were illegal. Never thought I would own one.

When I was 12, my dad moved to Maui for work. The rest of us stayed behind in California, but we went to visit him the next summer. The day before we were to return home, my dad took us to a swap meet to buy souvenirs for our friends. I found a booth selling swords, throwing stars and all kinds of other cheap crap. My eyes lit up when I saw a black handled butterfly knife on the table, but that excitement was fleeting, as I knew I'd never be allowed to buy it.

I couldn't stop thinking about how cool all my friends would think it was if I returned home with a butterfly knife, so later when my dad was standing in line to buy food, I said I was going to find a bathroom and instead went back to the weapons booth. I spent all the money I had on an overpriced POS balisong. I couldn't believe they sold a kid a "dangerous weapon". I was scared I was gonna get caught, so I barely looked at it before stuffing it in my pocket and heading back to where my dad was.

I told my dad I didn't find anything I wanted to buy, so we went back to his apartment and I hid the knife in the case I kept my misfits and metallica cassettes in.

Back home in California, I secretly practiced with the balisong until I had taught myself a couple of cool openings. I felt like a ninja. I showed off my moves to my friends and they thought I was a total badass. Unfortunately, it only took a few weeks before one of the cheap pins broke and the knife was useless. I was so sad, but there was nowhere to buy a replacement locally.

The next year we all moved to Hawaii, but by then I'd forgotten all about balisongs and moved on to other hobbies, like girls and pot. I never ended up getting another butterfly.

Fast forward 20 years to a few months ago, I am on the internet looking for a decent EDC knife to replace a cheap one that had just broken on me. I wound up at an internet retailer that also sold balisongs and that brought back memories of how much I loved the CCC I had at age 12. I ended up buying a Bear and Sons 114b, and now I'm hooked.

I've since bought a cheap trainer and a Kimura V that I'm not completely happy with, so I'm trying to figure out where to go next. I'm still pretty terrible at flipping, but I'm getting better, and I'm having fun!

worthlessbalis.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
  18. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

I grew up in an area of California with a sizable Filipino population. FHM were easily found in the right crowds. Add to that the popularity of B-rate Hong Kong martial arts films and a very public war between rival Chinatown gangs, balisongs and nunchuks seem to litter the streets of The City.

Well, maybe, they were not that common, but they were legal at the time and popular with adolescent boys. A good friend gave me my first balisong when I was a freshman in high school. A FHM that when closed looked like a pen. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I still have that knife. When I was 17 I bought a 3" PCC at a local gun store and carried it with me daily for several years. That knife was eventually confiscated by PD after the bali ban.

19. Bali-man

Bali-man JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I got into them when I was 10 but I didn't get my first one till a few years ago and thats when I became serious flipper.

20. ashine

ashine Little member

I'm surprised no one said Team Fortress!

When I first got the game and played as the spy, I was like omg wtf am I seeing. What kind of knife is this? So maybe an hour around google and I finally found the name of it. After I did, I watched massive amounts of videos on youtube and thought it was the coolest thing ever. Mostly CutleryLover's vids. After researching for literally hours about what cheapo knife was the best, I decided to buy a Bear trainer. When I got it, the feel and the weight in my hands felt amazing, and i've been hooked ever since.

Even though I havent had it for that long (8 months or so?), and even though I SUCK at it, and even if I don't practice EVERY day like some people, It's still a hobby for me. To me, it's not even about impressing anyone else , it's more about impressing myself...if that makes sense :manganr:

/story