1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hooked... Again

shclin Jun 30, 2017

1. shclin

shclin Little member JDBA Official Member

IMG_4824.JPG IMG_4825.JPG So after many years away, I'm hooked again. I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm wondering what got you hooked into balis? For me it was after watching The Outsiders and trying to figure out what kind of knife Two-Bit had. A little over a year later I got my first PCC in '84. Still have it today with everything including the receipt!

2. metlman

metlman JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Got mine in the 1980's too. Unfortunately don't have it anymore.

3. shclin

Was it a PCC68?

4. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

When I was a teenager I was kind of a punk and any decent no good punk had to carry a butterfly knife.
    I'm not so much of a punk now but I still love a good knife, although I didn't have anything really nice as a kid, my taste for quality has increased since getting older and wiser. When I was a kid I was happy with carrying a $5 Schrade.....

5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Enter the dragon got me into martial arts, and once in that group, nunchucks and balisongs were the next step. Plus I was already a knife nut at the time.

6. zephyr05

zephyr05 Little member Brigade Member

I was a highly experienced mall ninja back in the 80's. I had the Chinese stars and cheap brass bali to prove it too. It was a good thing parachute pants were in style since I needed all the pockets to carry my deadly arsenal to Spencers.

Dustygmt, Caffiend, stdlrf11 and 3 others like this.
  7. BennytheBlade

I think we went to high school together. Lol

zephyr05 and XxGRYMMxX like this.
  8. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Ninja movies for sure. Riding BMX bikes with balisongs in every pocket....

9. BennytheBlade

Cross' m up

Dustygmt and XtraMedium like this.
  10. AerialMorpho

AerialMorpho Little Member

I just got hooked back in recently when I got the 51. I needed a good knife for work and decided on a bali just on impulse, plus I kinda missed flipping. I had some CCC stuff when I was a kid, and that's really when I got hooked. Although I wasn't really into flipping as much as I was into looking cool. I carried balis back then cause I thought I was a gangster. I was really into 70's gangster movies and I thought I was Swan from the warriors or something. In reality I was just a chubby 12 year old kid at the skate park doing the same zen rollover/aerial combo over and over and over again. I didn't have many friends lol. Now I got the bug again out of nowhere, and I have 1200 bucks worth of knives on my shopping list. Oh the places you will go

11. shclin

The Warriors! One of my all time favorites.

begreen61, Dustygmt and XxGRYMMxX like this.
  12. XxGRYMMxX

XxGRYMMxX The Crayola Kid JDBA Official Member

Come out and plaaaayyyy!

begreen61, Dustygmt and shclin like this.
  13. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

i have always been a knife nut albeit a poor one back then as a teenager, so i couldnt really get into balisongs cause they were cost prohibitive. however as an adult, disposable income is a matter of decision. balisongs are just very flashy, and as someone who enjoys all sorts of dexterity things, balisongs are a must have. since last month i went back full swing into balisongs havent really bought many other types of knives this month besides balisongs.

Dustygmt, shclin and zephyr05 like this.
  14. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

Also, when I was little I was big time, BIG TIME, into teenage mutant ninja turtles and those movies steered me onto the path. I thought I would actually become one one day, seriously that's what I thought. But anyway, I realize those movies don't utilize the balisong per se but they definitely sparked my interest in martial arts and collecting weapons.
    I made lots of stick daggers and swords, sticks with nails in em, etc.... my grandmother may have even had a few letter openers and various kitchenware go missing a few times.
    Yep, it's safe to say I have had an fascination weapons pretty much my entire life and love collecting stuff of that nature...

begreen61, shclin and XtraMedium like this.
  15. Band-aid

Band-aid Stuck on 'em! JDBA Official Member

Lol...My grandmother used to watch a soap opera called "Days of our lives", and the characters Bo Brady and Patch had balisongs. From there on in I had to get one!

-Don't tell me you never watched it!- :canada:

16. BennytheBlade

Days of our lives is the pathway to ruin... who knew

begreen61 likes this.
  17. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Stephano fucking DIED what are they going to do now?

begreen61 and BennytheBlade like this.
  18. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Bury the mother fuck'er he's starting to decay .

19. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Living as a child in Dolgeville and Oppenhein NY , Knives and guns and fishing was the way of life , I can remember walking at 13 years old in the middle of town with a 12 gauge pump coming back from trap shooting .Today you still can ................during hunting season only ,,back home . Starting to side track ,,Long story short born with a knife in my hand .early eighties got heavy into bali's ,then went to collage and cut my wrist going through a window , didn't pick one up till Des wanted a Microtech T3 custom .Helped her out had the knife for a few weeks and HOOKED again , can't do what I use to but sense the Microtech I have bought en 16 to date and have one on the way and hoping for 2 more deals this week ,

shclin likes this.