1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hom Design - Specter Balisong production balisong WIP

twirl Oct 10, 2014

1. Othinus

Othinus Little member

I've had my Specter for about a month now, and I love this thing.
    The latch is super tight on my Specter, and sometimes, the latch would get caught between the two handles, which interrupts some flips here and there (see picture).
    [​IMG]

Aside from that, the only other issues I have with the Specter is the horns pinching. Maybe smaller horns? Last, the tip on mine disappeared about two weeks in.

2. WalkingTree

WalkingTree JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yeah pinching'll happen with Jerry's signature horns. But how prevalent that is depends on how you flip. It only happens to me when I do certain tricks, in a certain way.

But I definitely feel you on the latch stalling, happens to me all the time. Mine'll catch on the inside of the latch area and catch HARD.

If the latch would've been rounded, I doubt that would've been quite as much of problem. But I know that putting in the extra minute detail in to the latch like that would've driven up costs further that it was worth.

Its the only real problem I have with the knife, and even then its not alone on that, it happens to my alpha beast too. Its just the nature of a hard angled latch.

Everything else about it I love. Its exceptionally well executed.

3. zuggzugg

zuggzugg JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm getting a lot of pinching on my prodigy and specter now that I'm doing a few diff loops that I'm learning. They are killing me! I need to get those horns rounded or something I think. Hurts!

4. WalkingTree

WalkingTree JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yeah it does! Its like a little faux bite...

Taking some high grit sandpaper to em' oughta alleviate the problem some

5. weavin

weavin Destroyer of digits opposable JDBA Official Member

None of this is aimed at any of yall's comments, just my input...

I had limited amount of time with the Specter, but definitely put it through its paces while I had it. I bought it second hand in "flipper" condition. Very end of tip gone, scratches in the bead blast, etc. That said, there was zero evidence of the tip hitting the spacers and the thing still flipped like a champ. The bushing system was still tight, blade centered up perfect, and was still a striking knife to look at even with its personality marks. So yeah my experience with the Specter was great, and if right now I could have afforded to keep it and the AB as knives to sling around I definitely would have. I preferred the slightly different balance on the AB a bit more, so it won out for me.

Oh... and my AB's tip has seen better days, the knife is getting dull, got a couple decent handle scratches going on, and I had to take the latch off cause I was putting some kind of lateral load on it during some manipulations which kept backing out the latch screw.

All of which is rightfully on me, BECAUSE I FLIP THE DAMN THING. :manganr:

twirl: The specter is a hell of a knife man, well done. :thumbsup:

6. D2AP

D2AP Better than gold or platinum

Part of the reason I sold my prodigy is the thing kept pinching the shit out of me. Often times bad enough my finger would actually bleed. I think the pinches hurt more than getting cut.

7. zuggzugg

zuggzugg JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Definitely!

8. DeepSkyyz

DeepSkyyz Skyy'z the limit JDBA Official Member

I had the same problem on my prodigy but Jerry worked some magic and fixed it.

9. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

:fixed:

10. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

The edges of the latch are chamfered all around to help with this, I'm wondering if your handles have just a bit of flash on the edges that need a touch with a small file.

The Specter should pinch much much less than the Prodigy. This was part of the feedback I received during the Prodigy project and was corrected for the Specter.

It wasn't the horn shape as much as the sharpness of the edge. Glad it worked out for you!

You don't really believe I send it to Glenn (or anyone else) for that kind of handwork do you? You're just fuckin with me, right Linos!!!! :bwah:

Linos likes this.
  11. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

Jerry, if I sent mine in for warranty, would you guys be able to grind out the chip and still keep the blade shape relatively similar?

12. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Need some details on the chip. How did it get there and how large is it?

13. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

"you guys", you mean "guy":manganr:

14. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

i just wanna know what the hell people keep doing to get pinched by these balis... :ropeman:

I mean, it's a bali, not an old lady who hasn't seen you in a long while (most likely a grandmother or great grandmother).

15. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

Not quite sure how it got there. It's very small and, it is pretty much just the very end of the point that is gone.

16. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

I was under the impression that a group of people helped with the production of the specters because.... Well they are production :devilfinger: I could be incorrect, maybe Jerry does do all warrenty by himself. Either way, great knife, great company, and glad that Jerry hears the concerns of the community. That's something that you don't get with benchmade or spyderco. Or Will Moon :ropeman:

17. san-mai-usa

san-mai-usa JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Technical term for that one is: "I dropped the fuc*er". :manganr:

18. DarklightY2K

DarklightY2K Huge member

I have dropped it. But I also heard about the potential spacer hitting it. Therefor, I couldn't really day either way. However if compensation is required, I'm sure it would be worth it :thumbsup:

19. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I dunno spyderco is pretty responsive on their forums... not sure about benchmade or will moon. Just saying of course some companies are more apt to fix your mistake than others. :ross::ross::ross:

20. CannedBullets

CannedBullets JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Benchmade is pretty good with getting warranty services done fairly quickly but you always have to call them if you want to get an update on your knife.