1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hom Design - Specter Balisong production balisong WIP

twirl Oct 10, 2014

1. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

I think I can find a retrofit solution for anyone with a loose latch. May take some time but it would be directly applicable to any Specter with that issue that develops over time.

2. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

The problem is compounded by the fact that lots of folks think they need an AB or a Specter to be good (we collectively have basically created this). So you end up with people jumping from say a kimura or 51 to an almost 500 dollar knife. They have high expectations- some might say unrealistic. Others criticisms from established flippers is probably nothing more than subjective opinion - something which the flipping community is in no shortage of.

Add in other folks that buy based on past secondary market performance of completely different knives and you kind of have a recipe for the perfect storm.

I've not flipped it, I'm sure it's a fine flipper. It's just got a lot stacked against it.

To some it will "Stack up" to others it won't....just the nature of the beast.

Keep cranking out knives...it all comes clean in the wash.

3. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

"I've not flipped it, I'm sure it's a fine flipper."

Really? It does have a different balance point than most of the top tier flippers and that's fact. I've became use to it as I own one and flip it daily, matter of fact it's on my side right now. Other than that fucker on Reddit, Jerrys knives have not received any serious criticism, nothing that warrants the continued "circle the wagons" mentality. If someone has a critic, it should be brought forth no matter who the maker/designer/producer.....

4. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Haha slow down JJ. I'm not circling the wagons nor am I really criticizing Jerrys Knives. If I am offering any criticism its as to where "we" have come as a knife community.

We pay a lot and we expect a lot. Some expectations realistic, others not so much....that's the TL:DR

Glad you like your knife. I have yet to flip it but I have flipped pretty much every other knife Jerry has made - they all seem like perfectly fine flippers.

5. jjhamilton

Fair enough, I agree. We do expect a lot these days, but we are also offered/promised a lot these day too.

The four major criticisms of the Specter, 1)is the possibility of blade hitting the spacer 2)the different balance 3) the feel of the finish 4) weak latch up.

i agree with all, but can not prove the tip issue hence why I haven't said anything about it...but I do have this and the fact my tip was gone in less than an hour.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2015
  6. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I think it boils down to the flexibility of titanium and that we under estimate the torque involved in flipping thinking that the handles won't flex under the force used to flip. I'd like to see someone do a true high-speed camera down to slow mo so we could watch this action much like an arrow doesn't fly straight. Under controlled load the blade probably doesn't touch the spacers but with added momentum it flexes enough to do it just like the replicant did.

7. LAHST

LAHST JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Agreed! We need true high speed footage. It would be cool to see the flex and different pressures.

8. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Mythbusters?

9. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

handles are only 5inches long average, if there is flex its 32nds or 16ths of an inch. be sure the camera is really zoomed in.

10. san-mai-usa

san-mai-usa JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Must have missed that one on Reddit......Rabbit.....Rob-it or what ever. :devilwag:

11. LAHST

LAHST JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yea, I'm pretty sure its possible to get the shot.You are right about the flex being very little, however I can see it surprising people of what you can see when things slow down. High-speed will be cool seeing skin wrinkle and impact especially when doing combos involving transfers or aerials.

12. L3b4

L3b4 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

#makeitathingjerry!

13. jjhamilton

High speed camera...my pic isn't enough? Ok....:devilzeek

14. Othinus

Othinus Little member

What does everyone here think of DLC on the Specter? Is it a good idea?

15. Tmack

Tmack Level: True Devil

Dlc is best on knives with no rub. So the specter would be perfect

16. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I've flipped my specter almost exclusively since I got it and IMO it's a great knife. It flips very well and the finish doesn't bother me at all. I could see how some wouldn't like it though.

The knife is balanced differently than an AB or 4X so it takes some adjustments and the horns can be a little pinchy with twirling. My latch locks up super tight in both positions and there is no sign of the tip hitting the spacer. It's been dropped on hardwood floor a decent amount and still retains a perfect edge and hasn't gained any play.

I wouldn't change anything about it except maybe shortening the horns a bit.

17. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

edit: i was about to post something similar.

i love how it flips.

latch lockup when closed could be improved so i used clear heatshrink.

its worth buying if you can and could.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2015
  18. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Nice workaround, but if your Specter has a latch that wiggles in the closed position, let me know. I can probably find a hardware solution for it.

19. Tmack

Tmack Level: True Devil

[​IMG]

apdallaround likes this.
  20. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Little member

Gorgeous! I really like that subtle anodize