1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hom Design - Specter Balisong production balisong WIP

twirl Oct 10, 2014

1. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thanks guys, that was the intention to have the contrast with the details like the old korths did. But i think the critique was more towards the feel than the look.

2. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Looks great the feel was the issue...But it has "worn" off for the most part unless it's humid then the "stickiness" returns. Hard to explain, but for example if I step outside of my air conditioned home into a 80 degree high humidity day the feel instantly returns with a vengeance making flipping difficult due to the extreme grip

3. Papercuts

Papercuts JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

This. I will have no issues with the bead blast all winter but as soon as I get out on a hot day and my hands start to sweat the handles suddenly have way too much traction.

4. MostHaggard

MostHaggard JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Nooooo! The blade is one of the things I loved the most about the Specter! :jdwink2: Pictures don't do the shape justice. In person that blade is a beauty with the nice long swedge and the ever so slight recurve. :devilzeek The chipping issues are not the fault of the blade shape though imo. Any blade will chip if you drop it on a hard surface or at the right angle on the carpet like I did to mine. ...Maybe if I pick up a rug made of bunnies just for flipping... I bet I stop breaking tips on my knives then! :ropeman:

5. LAHST

LAHST JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I feel that the bead blast is well served....it will break in. The overall feel is good for me (Arizona dry heat) what absolutely blows me away is the attention to precision. Everything is tits, if you have ever attempted to build even a folder than you will understand how hard it can be to get to that level. Given that the bead blast is the only real issue that wouldn't be caused by the user, I think this is one of the finest production blades I own.

6. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Only thing I would change is larger tang pins. It would provide better latch tension and i honestly think my tip hit the spacer. I didn't see it in the oak floor after i dropped it and there was a small mark on the spacer where the tip would have been. Of course i didn't really study it until after the tip broke so i can't say for certain. Maybe I flip too hard and the titanium is flexing.

7. MostHaggard

I blame the fact that you like flipping beasty 29s! I have this vision in my head of someone flipping a specter as hard as they possibly can. :bwah:

8. jjhamilton

Oh yeah, mine also lacks proper lock up when latched. The latch will almost fall out of position

9. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I really like my Specter but not so much for flipping. IMO it's slightly off. I want to like it for flipping an I really tried to convince myself that it was good.... but I just end up picking up another knife that has better balance.

I've only ever flipped mine over my bed. I think I lasted a week with it before I went back to another knife. It hasn't even bounced off my bed onto the carpeted floor once.

So the tip of my Specter is ever so slightly bent forward. It's from the spine near the tip hitting the spacer... same thing happened with Replicant. If I continued to flip it I'm willing to bet that eventually it will chip off.

10. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

No one can prove i flip those 29s.... It's all hearsay :devilwag:

MostHaggard likes this.
  11. jjhamilton

Nor that 29s flip good:bwah:

12. MostHaggard

I fully agree. For some reason I just couldn't get the hang of it for flipping. I would flip it for 10 minutes and then pick back up my Rep for the rest of my session. I ended up selling mine a few days ago to pay for the AB I just got from BHQ. The Specter is a beauty of a knife though and smooth as hell. I really wanted it to fit my flipping needs, but like you say, it's just slightly off. Maybe if the handles were just a bit longer it would have been what I was looking for. My Specter tip lasted all of 2 hours I think. Dropped it on the carpet and the hard carpet backing ate it. Mine never even got the chance to hit the spacer. :bwah:

13. san-mai-usa

san-mai-usa JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yep, winner in my book.
    Picked up two from the first run and one from the second.
    Like the improved blade finish. :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

[​IMG]2015-09-16_04-30-16 by ryan libson, on Flickr

What some of you guys are experiencing is a pretty common consumer behavior:

"Cognitive Dissonance"

zogglet, MostHaggard and apdallaround like this.
  15. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Ryanol, that's an interesting graph. Kind of reminds me of all the negative feedback surrounding the BM4x when people shell out $600 for one and get disappointed that it has blade rub.

The Specter is expensive for sure and some critiques are definitely warranted, but there are some expectations that the knife is indestructible and I experienced some unfair feedback on the Reddit forums when someone snapped a screw when trying to take the knife apart.

All feedback, good and bad, is taken seriously and I am paying attention, but some things are issues and some aren't. People break the tips off their folders and fixed blades all the time, I know I have on my user Sebenza and 3V bark rivers, but there isn't any noise when they do.

Haggard and LB's preference for other knives are fine too, though there may be future options to customize an individual's Specter flipping preference :ropeman:

16. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

Good point Jerry. A few coworkers have benchmade mini barrages. Every one is missing the tip and every owner admits that within a day or two of use it was gone, still no complaints.

The latch lockup on my specter seems a bit lacking otherwise its very nice.

To help with lockup i took some clear heat shrink and put it on both sides of the latch pin. i double layered it. the heatshrink seems well in place and helps give a little more latch pin diameter to the closed lockup and also helps with markings of the latch onto the safe handle when flipping.

17. PusherMan

PusherMan Little member

Ahhh yeah!:devilcorn:

18. weavin

weavin Destroyer of digits opposable JDBA Official Member

Great idea. I'd green ya if I could.

19. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Hah ha! It's ss block spacers isn't it!?:jdwink2:

#amirite

20. Tmack

Tmack Level: True Devil

I actually have one in for a reprofiling that has d a few good marks in the spacer from the tip hitting it, so that's definitely why all the tips are going . I think if a little was taken off of the blade length, the difficulty of doing tight chaps would go away, so a little too damage isn't the end of the world . I also threw another . 125 pivot in the safe handle to add a little more weight since i removed the metal latch. So mine has 12 screws for the spacers total. I feel like it helped a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2015