1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hom Design - Specter Balisong production balisong WIP

twirl Oct 10, 2014

1. sharklasers

sharklasers JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I just got mine in right now and it is insane how smooth it flips. It just glides on my fingers. I'm loving it!

2. alerma

alerma Huge member

Specters are now sold out over at Blade HQ, did anyone see the Basilisk #33 up for sale? how much did it sell for?

3. LAHST

LAHST JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Congrats on the Specters fellas. You will be happy happy happy that you picked one up now. Jerry you have done an amazing job with this run. I can't wait to see what's next.... (I know the gears are turning).

4. Blade HQ

Blade HQ BladeHQ Knife Maker or Craftsman

The Basilisk sold back in 2012...

5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

and adjusting for inflation how much was that again?:unintroduced:

6. Mystik

Mystik That's no ordinary rabbit! JDBA Official Member

Weird how some people could bring up old knives that are long sold out. That being said, I still see a Benchmade 43DM on your site that can still "Add to Cart" even though I know it's sold out :bwah:

7. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

$350

8. Blade HQ

Blade HQ BladeHQ Knife Maker or Craftsman

Actually, that one is available!

9. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Out of curiosity... what did they orginally sell for from BM?

10. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

Had three of them and if I remember correctly, I paid about $700 each NIB.

11. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

Big congrats to Jerry.
    Hopefully this opens up the ability to make a larger batch at a slightly lower pricepoint:ropeman:
    I didn't get one because I decided I couldn't afford one, though I'm sure it's high value all things considered. I'm positive if you can make something closer in price to the prodigy with a pocket clip at around 600 pieces, you'd have a huge winner.

12. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thanks Nathan. But I'm not sure what you're asking for is going to happen. The Prodigy was a trainer, sold mostly directly for $285. Finding a way to shave that degree of costs off a live blade and maintain quality, and of course keep it within the US is probably a pipe dream unless I open a magical shop somewhere and the demand for balisongs surges tremendously.

That being said, it looks like availability has been improved on the production pieces. And as always, the question is.. what's next?

13. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

if you open a magical shop will you be hiring?

14. Mystik

I'm sure you already have some ideas for future projects, but... how about some inspiration?

- "Curved" balisongs, a la Guinn or Marlowe?
    - Tanto blades?
    - Double edged spearpoint blades?
    - California legal blades (

15. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

16. Tmack

Tmack Level: True Devil

I think that would be the way to go. Have a satin option.
    Other than that tiny thing , she's a winner.

17. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Okay....now we talkin'

18. Mystik

Might be in the minority here, but I kinda like the bead blast. I think it offers a great contrast against the polished holes and beveling. It's definitely not something that's too common on balisongs, I believe. You mostly see stonewash or satin finishes, and it's refreshing to see bead blast once in a while.

You could always change the blade profile? I've heard a few issues brought up with a few tips chipping, but I don't know if it's a big enough complaint to reinforce the tip.

Change to more robust tip, change to satin finish (but keep handle design same), give it a similar but cool name like "Banshee", "Phantom", or "Wraith" to keep it in the Specter DNA!

19. Slightly Sane

Slightly Sane Average member

I've gotta agree here, the bead blast finish you do complimented the specter really nicely in my view.

20. Shawn Savage

Shawn Savage JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

It's probably the smoothest knife that I've ever handled and I haven't put mine down since I got it. I traded my rep for a flyti 62 and I still can't leave the Specter alone. Definitely a winner in my book