1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hom Design - Specter Balisong production balisong WIP

twirl Oct 10, 2014

1. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

I am proud to announce the upcoming Specter Balisong from Hom Design. I am aiming for the top end as far as production balisongs go.

I will update/edit this post as this project progresses!

Here are some details:

• Best features of the Basilisk and Tempest with an all new handle and blade design.
    • Blade is a flat clip bowie in S35VN, it can cut as well as flip! It will be beautifully finished with satin flats.
    • Flat grind is the plan for now but exploring hollow options.
    • Machined titanium handles feature my new "Butterfly closure" slots. Details will be polished against a light matte handle.
    • Spacers and latch will be titanium, just like the Tempest. Maybe I'll add some changes to these.
    • Bushings of course. Those who received the Prodigy can see that the bushing system is absolutely dead on.
    • Production numbers? Enough to go around, won't be around forever :jdwink2:
    • Price = still cheaper than the 2011 Ti Basilisk but will be up there for a production knife. $400-450. Yes, these are expensive to produce.
    • ETA Q1 2015. Subject to change and delays :manganr:

Some FAQs:
    • Biggest difference between the Basilisk, Tempest, and Specter is the manufacturing. All three have completely different manufacturers and each one has a different "mechanical soul".
    • I hate hearing that nobody cuts with balisongs. So I chose a useful (but still pretty) blade profile in a fancy steel.
    • We have all these premium production folders but all of the nice balisongs are midtech and customs. We deserve a high end production bali!

Now for some awesome renders. Took me all last night to make these so enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11/20/14

First try at the handles, hoping to add some changes to make the two-tone details pop a bit more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to get these ready for the show and then experiment a bit more with them!

11/22/14

First prototypes off! Handles look fantastic but the blade only has a temporary bevel. Still some details to work on here and there.

[​IMG]

2/11/15-2/12/15

[​IMG]

The Specter marches on! Blade shape and grind has been figured out and now the fun begins. New ETA is around mid April, not too far out.

I think the new pattern absolutely rocks. It's hard to create something elegant, functional, original, but not tacky when you have a really skinny set of handles.

The two slot pattern, while not all the same, has been done on the Basilisk, Tempest, and Prodigy. And now Bear and Flytanium has their own two-slot patterns, it's time for something refreshing.

Don't forget! The holes and slot are polished up for a nice contrast, especially when the light hits it the right way:

[​IMG]

5/1/15

Production Specter grind.

[​IMG]

Pre-orders going up early next week on Blade HQ!

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
    Silent Jay likes this.
  2. blevinsknives

blevinsknives JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

:devilzeek Love it, and i am in! I am sooooo ready for a live blade HOM!:thumbsup::devilcorn:

3. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Didn't read anything... just looked at the pics.

I WANT!

:thumbsup:

4. Twisted Mentat

Twisted Mentat Brigade Member Brigade Member

Hell yes.

Can't wait for 2015!!!

5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

i`m first on the list!!!! evrbody back of....:unintroduced:

6. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

woo-hoo :elmo:

7. Area965

Area965 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Awesome news. First congrats on the success of the Tempest and Prodigy Trainer. :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to see more progress on this new Specter project and will be among one of the first to get a couple or more. :manganr:

The renders look great too.

Since this could be used for EDC, are you thinking about the pocket clip?

8. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Nice!:thumbsup:

9. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

I'll take two :devilcorn::devilcorn:

10. D2AP

D2AP Better than gold or platinum

My only questions is how do I get first dibs? :unintroduced:

11. sawjaws

sawjaws JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

A Bowie, Yes Please!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Can I get one for each hand!?!:manganr::jdwink2::popcorneating:

12. Linos

you`ll keep the "signature" horns right?

13. Linos

don`t forget the feet too.....

14. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Looks like the bowie has a slight re curve to it. Any renders of the knife in the fully open position?

15. sawjaws

sawjaws JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yes This!?!:thumbsup:

16. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Optional clip, check! Maybe towards the middle of the run though. It will also fit the trainer!

Yep, signature horns but profile has been modified so less chance of biting.

Yep, I love recurves for my profiles and have to have them, even if they are slight.

17. DeepSkyyz

DeepSkyyz Skyy'z the limit JDBA Official Member

Looking good man! hope to pick one of these up when they come out, as well as a prodigy soon :devilzeek:thumbsup:

18. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

this'll grow on me, I'm sure
    The only thing about the tempest I didn't like (atleast on mine) was the "thick" grind.

19. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Looks great!

Still waiting on a latchless bali (and....no...taking it off doesn't count)

:thumbsup:

20. Vampill

Vampill Preschooler JDBA Official Member

Yeeeeees