1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hinderer Flippers, I don't get it..

OilMan Apr 20, 2015

1. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Post more videos of you flicking your wrist to get your knife out!

:snooze:

2. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

I've carried an XM24 folder for a few years now.

[​IMG]

3. Ian Minton

Ian Minton sitting on Palatine Hill

4. Ian Minton

His non flippy slicers are just insanely cool!

5. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

I haven't owned a useful Wharncliffe, yet.

LOL @ The Fanbois trying to keep their Hinderers relevant.

I didn't realize that we had so many clumsy Firemen on the Forum...

:bwah:

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  6. zogglet

zogglet Better than Nutella Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

Honestly, the only wharnies that "do it for me" are of the DireWare variety.

7. Thomas Carey

Thomas Carey Little member

I honestly find many of the darlings in the knife business to be lacking compared to the hype. While some other brands that get very little play seem to have as good or better a product.

I would say it comes down to marketing, charisma, and support from people who are Influencers.

8. Rover

Rover Rock N' Roll Outlaw JDBA Official Member

I had one of the pre XM-18 ti customs years ago. Did not flip great but man do I kick myself for selling it for the $325 I paid for it. :unintroduced:

Never really wanted an XM-18 until I saw that bowie. If they make anymore of those I might have to pick one up, maybe...

9. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

im a wharn fan..use them all the time.

10. Ian Minton

That's certainly fair to say Thomas, but also take in to consideration.

Years ago I went through a very disappointing trial with Strider knives... I bought ohh... All in all it was under a dozen PT's, SnG's, SMF's, etc... Including as well a bunch of non folders (the non folders I love btw...)

EVERY SINGLE FOLDER I purchased (new mind you) developed up down and left right blade play. Considerable blade play. EVERY SINGLE ONE! One of them (A SnG CC Olive Drab) came brand new from the online knife store and the first time I opened the darn thing the stop pin just FELL OUT!!!!! It just came right out of the knife!!! My jaw dropped to the ground!

I was looking for a heavy duty folder. Strider turned out to be junk, and I sold all of the folders on the JD site at a loss. (And a few elsewhere...)

So, when I found Hinderer I was in heaven. Over the past 5 years I've owned probably half a dozen, though I only own one now. But every single stinking one has been perfect and lived up to the price point.

That's my perspective, that's my two cents... With me Hinderer does what he advertises at the price point I'm comfortable with. I don't carry a my XM-18 every day, I carry it when I'm camping or hunting and I need to carry it. It fits the need that I require of it as a sharp edge that can last, with a blade that I can beat the holy smokes out of in a potential survival situation if the unexpected were to happen.

11. OnceBitten

How? They're almost as useless as Modified Tantos.

You cut a lot of rope?

12. Ian Minton

I'm not a fan of them, but I would say that they look pretty darn easy to keep sharp:)

Also, if I were a first responder it might be a useful tool to have... A pry bar with a sharp durable edge...

13. OnceBitten

I think the modified sheepsfoot blade of the BM915 Triage or, better yet, the opposed bevels and flat tip of the BM916 will beat out any Hinderer design in a variety of emergency situations.

You can have your Hinderers and their hype; I want a knife that's versatile and expendable, if need be, when time really counts.

EDIT: PLUS, those two BMs have dedicated belt cutters in them

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
  14. Ian Minton

Truth is, you're absolutely right... Both edges and price points are extremely high value high ROI. You can't to wrong with a BM! I edc Spydies and BM's and love them too!

15. rcwells

rcwells Little member

I've owned two xm-18 3.5" flippers, both spantos, and loved everything about each one.
    Not sure why your's didn't flip well, but both of mine were flawless and I'd find myself constantly flipping, all day long, just for the fun of it.
    I currently have an xm-18 3" flipper wharnie acquired in trade (I would probably never have bought a wharnie), and I've become quite fond of the little guy. Perfect pocket size, lighter than the 3.5", and the wharncliffe is fantastic utility wise. Again, the flipping action is addictive to me.

16. Apec

Apec The Sound of Darkness

Got a 20CV spearpoint. While I do like the knife, it is not as fast/smooth a flipper as my ZTs. Not to mention the flipper tab "horn" itself isn't that comfortable. It's not unbearable, but I've never had a flipper stick me in the fingertip as hard as a Hinderer.

Now there are times I can get the blade to fire out hard, but it requires me to pay attention to my grip and the tension on the lockbar. With any other flipper of mine I can just press play and it'll fire and lockup without hesitation.

17. Houstonian

Houstonian Short Round Brigade Member

18. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

I thought the same thing, a few years back XM's were pretty scarce, especially 3" XM's. I really wanted a slicer but was willing to make due with a spanto but last on my list was a wharnie... Well, the only 3" XM's that were popping up from time to time was a wharnie here and there so I said f*** it, I had knife fever and wanted an RHK so bad I figured I'd just make due with the wharnie til I could get a slicer.
    Got the slicer, got the spanto, gave the slicer away as a gift and sold the spanto a short time later.
    My wharnie is my edc and is practical to me as the day is long and in some cases I have found it to be better.
    It's a great knife that wasn't my first choice but it was the only RHK I kept because it's the best, imo. Wharnie all the way.

19. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

I have seen so much hate for the xm's detent & flipping action. I guess I got lucky and all mine were centered and flipped beautifully. Mine really snaps right out but my friend actually did have a 3.5 that had a pretty sluggish action but I just adjusted my technique and got it to snap. I think some people are just expecting it to be like a blur or a ZT they don't realize it actually takes a lil skill to get it deployed. I personally love the manual folders as opposed to the spring assist. I de-assisted my zt-0566 because I prefer manual, it just takes a lil wrist juice or pre load (sounds really dirty). I can see why it would bother some though...

stdlrf11 likes this.
  20. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I recently picked up a fatty with tanto/harpon blade ,,Loved the blade but was not factory sharp although the point was a needle I couldn.t cut with it ,but I could butter bread . Plus I had to loosen the pivot point screw to make it flip, in doing so it off set the centering of the blade . Needless to say ,,off to it's next owner NIB, Just traded it for another Medford, the General .It's going out today Hinderer awesome design and fell in the hand .straight from factory ,,SUCKS