1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. french_bulldog

french_bulldog Huge member

A few days ago I bought a Meyer dagger and now I'm looking for more information on this dagger hopefully someone knows this brand / knife.
    I tied to find more information but this didn't work out.

Some pictures of the dagger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sawjaws

sawjaws JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Can you get some closeup clear pics of the tang stamps?

3. french_bulldog

I will make them when i get home

4. french_bulldog

Here are some additional pictures hopefully this helps:manganr:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  5. french_bulldog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  6. sawjaws

sawjaws JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

7. french_bulldog

Thanks for trying Sawjaws.

Strange nothing can be found:ssad:

8. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

9. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

It is actually not Strange at all.

The blade was a common Cottage Industry pattern blade that was sold to almost every cottage maker in Germany in the 50s - 60s and 70s. It is still occasionally made today - I think Linder still offers this pattern.

It's actual name is a Swede Pattern because it was a common Swedish knife pattern and even American Companies copied it - like Case and Western and more - calling it a Finn blade. I believe Case still Offers it here in the States.

After W.W.II. it was vital to help German Knife companies get back into business and ship knives World Wide to put the Economy of West Germany back on it's feet.

A ton of Little Companies Sprung up and were all making the same Patterns and Shipping them to U.S. Distributors for sale to Sporting Goods Stores - Truck Stops - Tourist Stores - Hardware Stores and even our National Parks Souvenir Stores.

These Knives were marked with either the name of the Company that made them in Germany or the Distributor that imported them.

Most of these Little German Makers did not Survive into the late 1990s. It really was not from Economics but rather the Retirement of the Owners of the Little Companies.

The name Meyer is still used today but on very inexpensive Kitchen Knives I believe they are marketed as Soligmeyer. This company may not even be related at all to the one that made your knife.

Knives like Yours were sold on Standing Displays with other pattern models and had an average retail here in the States of $5.00 to $10.00. Current Values are in the $50.00 to $100.00 range here to people that Collect them.

Yours is a very nice Example - Thank You for sharing it with us.

Hope this Helps.

Mike

10. french_bulldog

Hi Mike,

Thanks this helps a lot. Juust recent I saw a Puma dagger with excactly the same blade.